Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Mor Ryde X Factor

Any one have them installed on a 3400 Montana? Worth it or not? Thanks!

ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
ratfink11, Perhaps you could give us a little hint: What is the MorRyde X Factor. I have the MorRyde pin box, independent suspension and their rear hitch. Not sure what the X-Factor is......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Phil this what ratfink11 is asking about.
MorRyde X Factor

I am going to visit MorRyde in March and will look at them first hand. I am interesting in installing them. My question about the X Factor previously was answered with the suggestion to take the Monty to a welding shop and have cross members made up. I spoke with Gary Wheeler at MorRyde and MorRyde thinks they do a good job. I would think the members made up in a shop would do just as good. The question would be how much would a shop make them up for and is it convenient to take the rig to a shop.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Joe, I guess I should have looked at the MorRyde website and answered my own question. We had the MorRyde IS system installed in Oct of '08. I just looked at them and there are cross members in the front and rear. This system has none of the problems that the original system has, (no axles, no springs, no U-bolts, no shackles), of course, having said that I guess there could be other problems but so far so good. We did ours to improve the ride inside the Monty and to avoid some of these problems that have been ocurring. It just seems too bad we should have to spend the extra money to get a stronger system. Being on the road 24/7 we don't need problems with suspension......

My recommendation would be to do whatever you can to beef up the suspension, If you plan on keeping your unit a few years and not trading up each year.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
That is REALLY interesting! Because after our trip to Alaska and beyond in 2007, I discovered that one bolt holding the rear end of the left side spring had snapped. The end of the spring was resting inside the "U" shaped bracket against the frame. And the axles were out of alignment that cause alot of tire wear. So I got new tires and took the Monty into a trailer dealer in San Antonio. They welded two lateral pieces of angle iron between the frames and of course replaced the bolt. The mechanic who did the repair, told me that this was strengthen the frame. So, I guess I got the X-Factor installed in 2008 and did not even know it! What a deal! Anyway, no problems since but I have not driven back to Alaska over the frost heaves yet either. Always get good stuff on the MOC Site. Anyone going to the Spring MOC Rally can see the supports since we will be at the Rally.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I have MorRyde suspension on an 07 3400. I had the single crossmember installed and it has made a difference when making sharp turns backing.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
I have the one that goes between the two Mor-Ryde rubber spring mounts at home. The engineer in me felt that this would be a good thing to do due to the torque mounts.

I haven't installed it yet, as well as the wet bolt kit. I still have to deal with the 5/8" difference in wheel spacing between the two sides of the axles with the dealer/Keystone before I start messing with it.

I did do a test fit to make sure I had the right one, as it a solid piece.
gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gregh9999

I have the one that goes between the two Mor-Ryde rubber spring mounts at home. The engineer in me felt that this would be a good thing to do due to the torque mounts.

I haven't installed it yet, as well as the wet bolt kit. I still have to deal with the 5/8" difference in wheel spacing between the two sides of the axles with the dealer/Keystone before I start messing with it.

I did do a test fit to make sure I had the right one, as it a solid piece.
That's interesting because the online PDF shows a two piece affair, which kind of turned me off to the idea.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Also, while considering if this add on is worth it, what is the cost from MorRyde? During a check this am of the website I too see that each of them is a 2 piece unit with bolts that are to be torqued to 40lbs.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I did have Morryde install the cross members when I had the spring hanger repaired. I have them across the spring and each of the spring hangers. My expectation is to provide added strength to the hangers when we are creating the torque while making sharp turns and backing into those 'tight' spots. I have only pulled it back after install and backed into my driveway. So I do not have a lot of experience to give a readout. IMO, while backing into the driveway the wheels did not seem to rotate as much. Maybe wishful thinking?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
It makes me wonder......... Mor-ryde must think, for some reason, that the frame/hanger/assembly or combination of all that Lippert builds is not strong enough to do the job. So Mor-ryde, for some unknown reason, comes up with a bolt on system that strengthens this particular area of the suspention.
Would love to invite the Mor-Ryde and Lippert enginners to lunch and open the discusson about why the need for the Mor-Rydes product to be installed on the Lippert product.
Just my thoughts.........

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Randy, One must remember that MorRyde deals with heavy metals, suspension, welding, manufacturing and making money during an economic downturn. I would think a "Good think tank" would come up with ways to keep the boys working. This is not to say their products are not worthwhile. I have bought several things from them and find they are a very reputable company and I highly recommend their work. I'm just saying that IF I could find a way to improve someone elses product and make some money for our company, then why not.....I really don't think the two of them would ever get together.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Randy I think because Mor/Ryde does so much suspension work, and see's lots of frame problems the think/tank as Phil said seen a way to make a product that keeps their people working and solve a well know problem. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well I know you would have to buy lunch for both sides and get no satisfaction anyway... i had the spring schakel hangers welded up with a gusset besides then had the wet bolts added and 1 crossmember added but mor-ryde ;;;;it seams very adquate to me...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I believe this to be a good idea. The 2 piece with the bolt doesn't set well with me though. Especially with only a 40lb. torque in a slotted hole. I am going to make my own out of one solid piece of 2" x 2" tubing. The only thing I question now is 1-2 or 3 of them? I can see the need for them on the shackles and even the More Ryde mount. But the more we put on these things to improve, the less weight we can take along. Just another thing that the factory has to deal with also when putting these things together. I know it seems minimal, but every pound is huge when we are already so close to over weight.

Any ideas on my thoughts here?

Thanks in advance
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave after seeing the Lippert retro-fit they used 3 cross member. But I think 2 would work if you using the 2" by 2" square steel cross member. But the cost wouldn't be that more in cosr. There is no question that I would install the retro-fit for any frame 12" and below. Our frame is a 15" box frame and I spent a lot of time looking at the frame while in Goshen and the shackles are mounted different than the other frames we have owned. I don't think I will do the retro-fit. Lippert make the frame we are setting on also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Phil, you are right on and i agree with you totally. I was thinking the Mor-Ryde people and engineers must have seen something that was either wrong, missing, doubtful, questionable, better design or just did not give them a "Warm Feeling". Now having said that, i believe if i were the Lippert folks, i would be asking myself why another company is making something that i should be putting on the product to begin with to improve my product.
I agree that if the Mor-Ryde "Think Tank" (product development) saw a nitch in a exsiting product where they can make money and employ people, then sure as heck do it. It drops to the bottom line in these changing times.
My curiosity was why didn't or dosen't Lippert see this as an improvement area for their current product. The thing is, does this fall into a product improvement by Mor-Ryde or Lippert product deficiency.
Sorry, didn't mean to get confusing with the original post, it was only a thought.
Thanks Phil for your input.

Randy

Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As you are aware, many companies that make "aftermarket" parts or "mods" (as we here on the MOC like to call them), do so to improve on an existing product or just to make money. I would take a guess and say that Lippert only gets X amount of money for each frame and to make improvements would mean renegotiating existing contracts. Just like brakes, we all know that disc brakes are better than drum, yet how many trailers still come with drum brakes. It has to do with "what the market will bear" and in todays market, I'm not sure they would get away with increasing prices.

Having dealt with MorRyde on several ocassions, I feel confident they are trying to offer improvements for the industry while at the same time, continue to expand their business keeping some people employed in that area of the country.

Randy, the other thing that comes into play here is the fact that these are, after all, recreational vehicles and not necessarily made for long term hauling as many of us do. Lippert is playing the odds that most folks will not have problems on their weekend 300 mile jaunts several times a year. The products that MorRyde offers fill a small niche in the industry and perhaps someday Lippert will do something about their products. Then again, maybe I'm full of hooooey and the two of them are in cahoots with each other. As in "I'll build an inferior product, make money on it, then you can improve it and make money also". Who REALLY knows???????????? Truth be known, if you ask Lippert about these mods they would probably say they are not needed.......Pride goes a long way in the industrial arts.....
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:Randy, the other thing that comes into play here is the fact that these are, after all, recreational vehicles and not necessarily made for long term hauling as many of us do. Lippert is playing the odds that most folks will not have problems on their weekend 300 mile jaunts several times a year.
Phil, just hit the nail directly on the head. There is the underlaying issue for sure and i forgot it. They are addressing a General Market place and for those of us who tow more than 2K to 4k a year, the product needs and has to have add on improvements.
Geezz where was my head...LoL... Ok fog is clearing here, back on track...

Thank you phil, it must be the cold weather here Hahaaa

Randy
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

I believe this to be a good idea. The 2 piece with the bolt doesn't set well with me though. Especially with only a 40lb. torque in a slotted hole. I am going to make my own out of one solid piece of 2" x 2" tubing. The only thing I question now is 1-2 or 3 of them? I can see the need for them on the shackles and even the More Ryde mount. But the more we put on these things to improve, the less weight we can take along. Just another thing that the factory has to deal with also when putting these things together. I know it seems minimal, but every pound is huge when we are already so close to over weight.

Any ideas on my thoughts here?

Thanks in advance
Dave

I too have been giving this some thought and I can't see a practical way of using one piece of tubing for the cross member. The reason is getting the fit perfect. Using two pieces allows you to mount them solidly to the shackles, and then bolt or weld them for a perfect fit. Trying to make them one piece, you would either have to shim/grind to get them exact and getting them into place might require a bit of force - which would put force on the shackles. So I've been thinking of using two pieces of tubing with a short piece of heavy wall tubing inside to tie them together. One could be pre-bolted with a couple grade 8 bolts and the other drilled and bolted once in place. Doing it this way would also be 'doable' by one person, as I seldom have help available.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote