Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The pictures finally!! (EMS, Autoformer, etc.)

Finally got 'r dun Here is the photo album of the install of last winter's electrical protection and front receptacle project. The schematic was posted previously, but for those who are unfamiliar here is a brief narrative desription. The system installed consists of a Hughes 50 amp Autoformer and a Progressive Industries 50 amp hard wired electrical management system that includes surge protection, high and low voltage protection, open ground protection, etc. The system was installed in conjunction with a new front receptacle to allow me to hook-up and run a generator carried in the bed of the pick-up while towing. For that reason the front receptacle input line was isolated from the autoformer. The autoformer was installed in-line with the back receptacle with plugs so that the Autoformer can be isolated from that line (line can be plugged together) in the event I hook a generator up to the rear. Both of the feeds go into the Iota Smartswitch when then outputs to the rig through the EMS system. All systems have proven themselves already since I ran the generator on the way to and from the NE rally to run the Air Conditioner for the dog and cat which we haul in the rig in pet cages (with a temperature monitor that reads in the truck). The Autoformer and EMS are functioning as designed. The only thing I have not completed is to install the remote digital display into the rig itself. It monitors and displays volts, amps, HZ, and errors for both L-1 and L-2 of the 50 amp or other feeds. The album is located at:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion%20Install/
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Bingo, Looks like a nice clean install. Thanks for the pictures. Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Excellent Bingo -

Question - what is the thick black box to the left of your Autoformer, left of the IOTA swith? I have a blue covered 4X4 box with the two 30A reset breakers that Keystone hung there. Did they upgrade that or is that something you installed?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad
That is the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (sorry I think I called it monitoring in the photos) semantics only though. As part of the installation I took that blue box out since I didn't think the reset breakers would serve any purpose with an external generator. If you are interested in the details here is a description on Tweetys site:
http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=6768
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahh - thanks Bingo. Makes sense now.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Thanks Bingo, nice neat install. I gather you had the Generator prep done as there is a panel that isn't in our rig. And I can see all that galv. back there. Nice setup... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I wish I had your skill level (but that would be a violation of the 10th Commandment) to make that install. That is exactly what my dream has been for my gens. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday, however, there is no way that I can do the work you can. Cool setup. I may try the Oklahoma method (no offense) and get a longer cord to reach the back of my rig. Can you move to the left coast? I am a good gopher!
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave,
Yes, we were gen-set prepped, that is where the Iota Smartswitch comes from.
Mike,
It looks daunting, but there is really nothing ultra-technical about installing the alternate plug-in if your unit is gen-set prepped with the Iota switch.
Bingo

Old 06-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
The last two times I fixed something electrical, the vacuum blew instead of vacuuming and the cigarette lighter plug I wired was reversed and melted the wires in about 3 seconds when I made the battery connection. I have decided the wiring is only good for receiving money.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Bingo

Great job & looks good to. Did you leave the rear 50A, or did you use it up front? The reason I asked, if you didn't remove it, would it still be HOT when hooked up?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CRUZIN 2

Bingo

Great job & looks good to. Did you leave the rear 50A, or did you use it up front? The reason I asked, if you didn't remove it, would it still be HOT when hooked up?
Yes it is hot but isolated by the IOTA auto cut over switch. Bingo wired the front plug into the IOTA switch where the generator normally wires in.
So both plugs are usable and safe because of the IOTA switch.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

H.John Kohl

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a great system.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Larry,
Sorry I never replied but was away from the computer and by the time I saw the post H. John had answered it correctly. H. John looked first-hand at the installation at the NE rally. Actually H. John provided valuable insight for the installation itself when the concept was posted over the winter as a schematic for forum input! The only quirk with the installation is that if I use a generator on the original rear receptacle the Autoformer has to be taken off-line since they are not compatible with each other. Appreciate all the compliments on the install. I am pleased with it's functionality and it has proved itself a couple of times already at our older WV campgrounds.
Bingo

Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
What does the autoformer do? How does the surge protection work?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dave and Kathy,
The surge guard is top on my list, meaning I would get it before the autoformer. It helps protect your trailer from voltage spikes/surges, low voltage, high voltage and short voltage lose. The above is correct if you spend the $300 plus for a good surge guard. If any of the above conditions happens it shuts down and then after the delay timer about two and a half minutes it will turn the power back on to the trailer. This protects the air conditioners and also helps save the electronic items from surges.

The auto transformer helps increase voltage when it is low. There has been much discussion how this happens and some Parks outlaw them. In order to get more voltage it has to use more current.

There are many topics on this subject. I searched on just Autoformer and found four pages.

Ask your specific questions and we will try and help.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
Great Post and expert installation. Funny I was just looking at this today. I don't have the generator prep. Where is the line tapped into and do you know of anyone who has accomplished this who does not have the generator prep?
oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Oscarj,
I do not know specifically of an install with the new receptacle on the front being installed without the gen-prep. There are, however several installs of the Autoformer/Surge Protection system in the closet area where the shore feed enters the electrical panel for the rig. Seems like Ozz had a mod where he accomplished this as well as a couple of others. As H. John mentioned, you can probably recall some of the older posts using the search function for the forum posts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. By the way, if you add your rig model number and year, it usually makes it easier for us to offer more model-specific responses.
Bingo