Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
striped ceiling and upper walls

We've been on the road the past three days and noticed yesterday while setting up that we have stripes on the ceilings and on the walls above the slides. It's only in the living area, not upstairs.

The stripes are evenly spaced and are very straight edged. On the ceiling the go side to side. At the aft edge of the AC is a double stripe. On the walls, the stripes are only above the slides. The stripes are vertical except for one horizontal stripe the length of the room.

I'd swear I'm looking at an outline of the framework. We've not had a condensation problem. The stripes are not damp. We do burn candles to eliminate odors. We wiped the stripes and we do get a bit of residue from them but we get the same thing from a non-striped area of the ceiling. Normal dirt I suppose.

Anyone with an idea what this is all about? It looks rather strange.

Thanks.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
'03 3295RK
'03 F350 SC SB SRW 6.0L PSD AT 4x4
fulltiming since March '03
Our RV Travels

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We've been on the road the past three days and noticed yesterday while setting up that we have stripes on the ceilings and on the walls above the slides. It's only in the living area, not upstairs.

The stripes are evenly spaced and are very straight edged. On the ceiling the go side to side. At the aft edge of the AC is a double stripe. On the walls, the stripes are only above the slides. The stripes are vertical except for one horizontal stripe the length of the room.

I'd swear I'm looking at an outline of the framework. We've not had a condensation problem. The stripes are not damp. We do burn candles to eliminate odors. We wiped the stripes and we do get a bit of residue from them but we get the same thing from a non-striped area of the ceiling. Normal dirt I suppose.

Anyone with an idea what this is all about? It looks rather strange.

Thanks.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
'03 3295RK
'03 F350 SC SB SRW 6.0L PSD AT 4x4
fulltiming since March '03
Our RV Travels
Steve & Vicki. We had the same sort of problem in our house a couple of years ago. The problem was a propane fireplace insert that was not burning properly causing it to soot and this soot collected along the rafters of the house, any place where there was any air leakage(light switches etc). These were the first places that it showed but eventually the entire house had soot to some degree. We had to clean and repaint the entire house. Your problem may be the candles you are burning and it collects on the same places I've mentioned. It all has to do with moisture and tempature differences I think. Hope this helps. Tom
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Tom. I do think it was the candles. We've not had further problems since eliminating the burning of candles in place of one of those candle warmer/melter plates. Same scents, no soot. But then we've not run the furnace in awhile either. This winter if they come back while running the furnace then I'll know we have a furnace problem. Thanks for the tip. Just wish the kids would move to where we wouldn't need the furnace when visiting them for the holidays! I recently noticed the same soot on the antenna crank so it definitely was soot, from whatever source.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote