Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
JT Strongarm Stabilizers

Our 3400RL loves to sit on grass, gravel, and asphalt. It really hates to sit on concrete, it would just rock with any movement inside. So I purchased and installed the JT Strongarm Stabilizers and the Monty now just loves the concrete pad we are sitting on here in beautiful, warm, and cheerful Florida. Anyway, I digress, the company was so glad that I purchased their product that for that particular period of time they sent along a free rear stabilizer kit. The instructions were very easy to understand and follow, except for the rear ones. The trailer is great without the rear ones, but since they came along in the package I feel I should put them on. I tried and cannot find a rear frame rail to attach them to. I was wondering if anyone out there in Montyland has installed the rear ones and if so how did you do it?

JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I mounted a 1 1/2 square steel tube from frame to frame and bolted to that. It worked very well for me. Actually I have 2 pieces bolted across with a receiver tube bolted to them. Works great for our bike rack.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There is a crossmember towards the rear just forward of the back clip. You have to feel for it by pushing up on the belly. I learned from MudChief to cut slits in the belly parallel to the crossmember so you can get up there and put the nuts on.

I don't have any pics, but this is the basic mounting location.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Thanks for the incredible info. I knew there would be great answers here on the MOC site. Will start on it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
If you would, keep us updated with details as I plan on putting mine on in the next few days (the weather is supposed to warm up to the mid fifties here in Ohio)
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
will do
Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
We just installed our JT's and everything went well. We did locate the rear crossbeam after pushing up on the bottom several times to "feel" for it. We had to cut away the exterior layer of black cardboard covering to get to the crossbeam. But we have a 2955 so maybe it's different than your's. By the way, we love 'em. Good luck.
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
I would think the rear stablizers would do much better if installed from front to rear not side to side. When I built mine there was much more movement in the rear jacks in the forward direction. They have cut out about 95% of the movement.
Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had ours installed in Oct. We just love them. You will notice if one comes loose you will feel the movement. I would get or make the T handler it save getting on your knees to reach the lock bolts.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Just finished installing the rear ones. Had to cut through the black plastic covering to get to the cross member. After touring the factory and seeing the installation process last fall I was afraid I would cut into or drill into the water tank located in that rear area. But it is not a problem whatsoever. Be careful cutting through the black plastic as the insulation is laying right on top of it. With a little patience the insulation will move out of the way. Since the cross member is a good 10-12 inches rear of the jack "C" channel the triangle formed by the new stabilizers and the original jacks make the coach even more stable. Wow, thanks for all the help and insights from all of you.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roadster31

I would think the rear stablizers would do much better if installed from front to rear not side to side. When I built mine there was much more movement in the rear jacks in the forward direction. They have cut out about 95% of the movement.
Ted,
At one time I had the same thought. Before I installed I called and chatted with one of the JTS reps and he convinced me otherwise. Basically, the greatest movement on a TT/5th wheel is the tire sidewall movement side to side. This movement increases the further away from the axle you get.

Even though the rear telescoping jacks look like they should eliminate side to side, they are designed to provide up and down stability for the frame and have way too much flex to provide any stability side to side. The rear JT stabilizers overcome this flex in the factory telescoping jacks.

He stated the ultimate stable platform is achieved when you replace the factory telescoping jacks with heavy duty scissor jacks combined with the rear JT set.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I have scissor jacks on my 06 and with the rear JT, there is no movement. I feel it makes a big difference and love them. As I had a receiver added, I just mounted the stabilizers to the receiver.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote