Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Surge Protector

Looking at surge protectors. This one seems OK, but don't know about protection against LOW voltage, like the CW Surge Guard. Of course the CW is $350... I have pulled up and read "Surge protector" until I am blue in the face - so please don't suggest that to me.

I am also aware this can be a touchy subject with some. Just want to know if this unit will give me any protection.

Surge Protector

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I like it, it would work for me. Low voltage is a factor to consider, I have a transfer switch coil that will drop out on mine, so I don't need that feature.
If you are worried about low voltage protection, this is not what you need.
Look at Camping World for more systems.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
dsprik, Understand you have read up a lot on this. I have not, but have just compaired the two.

I may be wrong, but from what I saw, the Autoformers mainly protects against low voltage (brownouts) by raising the voltage and lowering the amps. And oh by the way it also protects each line to 733 joules and 4500 spike amps.
The 50 Amp Portable Surge Protector/ Polarity Tester does not protect against low voltage, but protects to 900 joules and 39,000 surge amps. What is not stated are these per line or total for both lines on the 50amp power.

There is a big difference between per line, and a hughe difference in Amps. I belive the lower joules and surge amps would be more ideal.

You need to figure out what you want it for, and what you are most likely to have problems with. Would it be voltage,
amperage spikes, brownouts, or all three.

As I said I am no expert, just compared the two.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I've got this one Dave...http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=6771. It will read out the condition of both legs on 50 amp service, the vendor at the rally , I puchased from him at a FCRV rally, had them for a bit less money. It has Saved our butt more tha once by detecting bad C.G service...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave.
Back in the Spring I posted what happened to a group of Escapees while parked as the advance staff for the Escapade in Stockton, CA. While at church, one phase of the power to the fairgrounds dropped out and the transformer we were all connected to dropped voltage to 57 volts. When we got back from church everyone was hollering at us to make sure everything was turned off so as not to harm anything. But our Surge Guard (which everyone seems to feel costs too much) dropped the voltage to the rig because the low voltage cutoff is 102 volts thereby protecting our rig. Others had damage before they could get things turned off. Had we not had an inverter, the reefer would have automatically switched to propane and the water heater would have turned off. As it is, we have solar panels and the power all switched automatically to the inverter. Had we been in the unit we would not have noticed a thing.

I'm a great believer in insurance no matter what form it takes. The Surge Guard may be expensive but as I've always said, "It's a drop in the bucket when compared to what the expense could be if we lost anything." Yes there are a lot of cheaper devices but I know from experience what the Surge Guard does (please note I have no financial interest of any kind in Surge Guard).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Orv,
Can you provide the model number you are using for me, I am looking at upgrading shortly and if it is good enough for you, I am sure it will suffice for my part-time needs. And to ask the same old question that I seem to always forget the answer to: How does it interact with an Autoformer. Doing both this winter!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm still debating the $99 vs $350 surge protectors. That low voltage protection thing is pretty compelling. However, so is a $250+ price difference. I understand that cheap is not always better.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
May i add a little more to the topic. While staying at Bull Run Regional Park outside Washington DC, a contractor dug up the park power cable at 710am while starting to work on the water and sewer system and caused a huge surge. The tv started to smoke (even though it wasn't turned on), one of the satellite receivers blew and the matress heater quit. It was $1100 insurance claim. Shortly thereafter I went to CW and got the 50 amp protector. It was about $410 with taxes. Less than a week later there was an apparent surge again (from a close lightening strike) and it kicked in and other than a short outage from it working, nothing was damaged. The effort to replace the damaged items in additional to the cost made the investmet worth while.

As an aside...We were there for the summer and learned that if we ran the water on propane with the electric off to it, we never had a problem with only having 30 amp service.
pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Orv,
Can you provide the model number you are using for me, I am looking at upgrading shortly and if it is good enough for you, I am sure it will suffice for my part-time needs. And to ask the same old question that I seem to always forget the answer to: How does it interact with an Autoformer. Doing both this winter!!
Bingo
Bingo,
I have both the 30-amp (Model 34730) and the 50-amp (34750). You really only need one, the 50-amp model. I have both only because I started with the 30-amp model but wanted one to use with 50-amp. I've used the 50-amp model with 30-amp power and it works fine. The only drawback is that you put two more connections in line with the power and if you add an autoformer (and you can with no problem), then you have a couple more connections. If you've read some of my previous posts, I have not built in my autoformer simply because when I use my Honda 2000i, it doesn't like the autoformer.

You won't go wrong with either model Surge Guard but if I was to do it all over again I would only have the 50-amp model.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I own the Progressive Industries PT50C-EMS. It WAS expensive, but not being electrically minded, I feel it gives me all the protection I need, high voltage, low voltage, polarity checker, surge protection and a led readout that shows what is happening to CG power. It did malfunction once and I had to send it back and the company replaced with a new one. There are probably units that are less expensive and do pretty much the same, but I have not found one. It also has a metal clip with a hole in it that you can attach a cable lock to, which I do, Of course if someone really wants to steal it I suppose they could. The only thing it does not do is boost low CG power. It does cut off if cg power drops below 102 volts. I, too, feel that a little insurance is worth the cost of potential repairs........

Hope this helps in some small way.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Phil, it looks like the only difference between your Progressive Industries PT50C-EMS and the Progressive Industries SSP-50 is that the SSP-50 does not protect against low voltage, but it does everything else. Is that the only difference you see in my previous link above? How much was the PT50C-EMS?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Dave,

I second Richfaa, Tweety's has the 50 amp Progressive Industries protector for $277. This is a great price. I have had the unit identify a reversed neutral and two weekends ago while camping, we experienced an entire Saturday with 'brown-outs'. The unit did it's job. The remote display tells you why the unit removed power from the coach.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the PT.50C-EMS.. pricey yes but so is the 3400. We have had it over a year and it has saved our butt on more tha 1 occasion.. There are several good units out there.. all pricey.. but we did not skimp on our campers ..why skimp on protecting our investment??
Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Rich, a quick question, if we get the hard wired version and hook to a genset will the open ground feature not let power through? If it doesn't then I suppose that the portable unit would be the only option. And two more quick questions, where did you mount the unit, and if I get the one with the remote information display where should I mount that and how would I route the wiring?.. Dave and Betsy.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not hard wire the PT- 50C ems into the 3400 but may at a later date.I don't know the answer to your question about the genset for sure..I would give them a call and ask the experts.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I paid $399.00 for my unit(EMS-50PTC), Portable, plus $42.00 S & H to Anchorage. I bought mine through VIP enterprises 734-516-2056. I have heard of a lower price but don't remember where. I will say that VIP stepped up to the plate when my unit failed and they shipped to wrong address, then shipped a NEW unit to me at correct address.

Of course, your decision.......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got mine from VIP enterprises also. They are a reputable outfit.. They were at thge fall rally and are regulars at FCRV rallies.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info. guys! Very helpful.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
This whole electrical thing can get complicated can't it? We have the 50 amp EMS, wouldn't want to do without the low voltage feature. We were having trouble with ours kicking out for high voltage everywhere we went, even sent the unit back to have it checked out, same problem. I called the company I bought it from. He said the problem was that the campgrounds had voltage running about 128 volts and the Autoformer I had hooked before it will boost voltage 2% all the time so that made my voltage borderline so now if the voltage is good I don't just automatically put the Autoformer on like I used to.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 AM   #20
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
We spent the 1st week of Sept at the Louisville Metro KOA. The owner of a 40' new Class A in front of us would run his engine morning and evening for 30 minutes or longer. I got to talking with him and learned all of his electronics had been fried by a surge caused by a lightning strike. He had been at that KOA for 2 weeks and expected to be there for at least 1 more week while all of the electronic appliances and equipment in his home was being replaced by the CW next door. He told me he had baulked at the price of a surge protector, but the time lost getting things replaced and the cost to replace everything ($12,000) made a real believer out of him. Fortunately, his insurance company (I think he said it was Progressive) covered a lot of the cost.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote