Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Noodles? We don't have no stinking Noodles

If you want to have a permanent Punkin saver...
Camping world, sold in sets of two.
They come with sticky foam tape, I screwed mine on.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Those work good for the corner-knocker bunch Ozz. However, some of us are under knockers (myself included) as well. Seems like it was Richfaa that joked about the hard-hat.....might not be such a far-fetched idea??? That bed-room slide is the main culprit for me after standing when fetching stuff from the off-side basement. I have been looking high and low for white noodles to at least try to match the exterior, but so far no luck. Guess I will have to wait for the spring pool supply stocking season at Wally-World.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
You could try a boat dock dealer. They sell the white tubes that go on dock support poles to protect boats. They are a bit bigger than the noodles that walmart sells..but maybe better cushion on the noggin?
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Had to have my glasses re-tweaked today to get them to fit right. That stinkin corner backed me right out from under them.......once. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I have had a dent in my head for 3 years now from hitting the bedroom slide.
One of our friends actually cut his head open on our hitch while ducking under the 5th wheel in the dark.

Using the pool noodles on the slide or the hitch doesn't stop us from hitting our heads, but it keeps us from any pain or shedding blood when we do hit.

You can still find some of those noodles on clearance in some stores like Long's, RiteAid, Walgreen's, Walmart & Target. Just look around for the clearance aisles or ask a clerk. Sometimes they'll go in the stockroom and bring it out for you.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I just go to the dollar store for my noodles. One dollar each.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just go to a hardware store and buy a 4 ft sec of that gray foam pipe insulation. Works. Cheap. Easy to find. I bend the last 6 inches up around that corner and Gorilla tape it. The remainder of the section clamps on the bottom of the slide easily without tape.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 AM   #8
bosan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6922
White noodles would look great but I prefer the advanced warning of a bright color hanging from each corner and the hitch pin.
bosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Doesn't seem to make a difference with me, Bob. I can smack a blaze orange or neon yellow just a quickly as the gray pipe insulators... A helmet might be good for me?

Color doesn't seem to matter either when it comes to forgetting to take them off when we close the slides...
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
My wife says hitting me in the would not hurt me, but that little corner got me 6 staples in the head
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Doesn't seem to make a difference with me, Bob. I can smack a blaze orange or neon yellow just a quickly as the gray pipe insulators... A helmet might be good for me?

Color doesn't seem to matter either when it comes to forgetting to take them off when we close the slides...
Dave, I find that more damage is done and more often when wearing a hat because it cut’s off my line of vision, so a helmet is out of the question!!!
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
William, the hat is a good way of increasing the knots on your head. You can really sneak up on those slide edges with that bill of the cap over your eyes...
Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We use tennis balls on the corner of bedroom slide. I used to use the noodles, but was worried that they might tear the black rubber when I was putting in on and off.

If you cut a X in the tennis balls they will fit over the corner perfectly.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Just go to a hardware store and buy a 4 ft sec of that gray foam pipe insulation. Works. Cheap. Easy to find. I bend the last 6 inches up around that corner and Gorilla tape it. The remainder of the section clamps on the bottom of the slide easily without tape.
Dave,
Do you leave it on permanently? If so, then you have to know that you're putting tension on that bottom panel which in time will pull the screws out of the slide. Do you know how I know that? I did it! Had to have my favorite body shop repair the bottom of the slide so the panel would remain connected properly.

I've found that if you cut the noodles (or the grey insulation like you have) so that you have one piece that goes around each corner (cut a "V" in each one so the bend is made readily) then put a piece across the bottom between the two end pieces. This will give you a good noggin saver. I remove mine when I do my outside work when getting ready to pull out. It's one of the first things I do when setting up (after I set up my satellite antenna).

Just wanted to share what I have done.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Orv, not sure what you mean? I just have the pipe insulation, which has it's length already pre-split. I just slip it on the bottom of the slide. It closes over the rubber seal that runs along the bottom. I don't cover the forward end corner of the slide - just the back corner and bottom. I'll check to see if I see if I'm leveraging anything, though...

Maybe I should post a pic? I sure want to make sure I don't cause myself any more work.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
It's only that anything you put on the bottom of the slide panel, if you leave it on permanently, will tend to force the bottom of the panel outward. Check it next time you close the slides. Wish I was able to show you what I'm talking about. Mine bent out badly and had to have it repaired.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Gotcha, Orv! I do not have them mounted permanently. They are part of my rig down checklist to take them off. I only accidentlally left them in twice. I can see where over time that could cause some problems if left there with the slides closed.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #18
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
...and I thought I was the only one! Not having much hair doesn't help, either! I use the swim noodles, the brightest I can find.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote