Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
CB Radio

These new trucks, full of computers and electronics, all talk about being careful about adding anything electrical due to the possibility of causing problems with all the gadgets on board. I have an 07 D/A, has anybody had any trouble using a CB radio? The brake controller is in the factory recommended place, so the radio would have to go to its right (the emer brake is to the left). Also, the controller's directions give the same warning about things electronic causing interference to the operation of the braking function.

Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If I remember these new trucks have all kinds of plug ports other than the cigar lighter. I think everyone runs gps, radar detectors, laptops, cellphone chargers, plug in coolers. The CB would just add to the mix. I mounted my CB on the side of my floor console.I do not smoke so the mike is in the ash tray. Power plug is the cigar lighter port.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I got the Cobra with the 'works' in the mike, head mounted under the seat, I wired it into the battery with a fuse.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think mine is a Midland or maybe a Cobra, all in the palm of your hand. There is a very small junction box where the hand unit, the power source, and the antenna meet. The hand unit is also the tuner and channel selector. The junction box has a place to plug in an external speaker.

The only time I use it is when there are confusing traffic conditions and I hope to find out what is going on. Otherwise, I leave the noisy think off and listen to audio books.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never had any kind of a problem with interference with anything...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I also have a Cobra with everything in the MIKE. very little to mount. I use it about like Stile's uses his. Only when needing traffic info or listen to the truckers directing everyone around a wreck or something like that. Otherwise it's OFF. It has not interfered with anything else in the truck..
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

If I remember these new trucks have all kinds of plug ports other than the cigar lighter. I think everyone runs gps, radar detectors, laptops, cellphone chargers, plug in coolers. The CB would just add to the mix. I mounted my CB on the side of my floor console.I do not smoke so the mike is in the ash tray. Power plug is the cigar lighter port.
The above statement is accurate but does have apples and oranges mixed in. Everything listed except the CB are users of electricity and operate in a receive mode. The CB transmits and if in a legal design with 5 watts of RF power. If the user adds an external power amplifier then it goes a lot higher. That RF is what has the potential of causing problems. This is always a concern for HAM radio operators. The VHF mobile radios are rated at 50 watts.

The external antenna placement and efficiency (proper tuning) will have a key influence on Radio Frequency Interference, or the lack of.

I was unable to use the tire monitoring system because my ham radio transmitter blanked out the tire monitor receiver. The problem was the two frequencies were too close together.

Hopefully the electrical engineers have designed the electronics to operate in this RF environment.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I thought that was to be 4 watts...
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I thought that was to be 4 watts...
You may be right. It has been a while.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote