Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Portable Ice Maker Magic Chef

A few folks have went to the Home Depot Magic Chef portable ice maker as discussed here on the MOC. It wasn't on the top of my buy list, but was buying flowers yesterday and spotted thier last one with a "Reduced This Unit Only" tag at $99.00. It was unopened and just said "slow mover". I Couldn't resist.

Not sure if this is the case at all Home Depots, but $99 is sure better than $149, $199, or even $225 at CW.

BTW, besides being a little noisy, this thing really pumps out some ice.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
You really need to stop doing this Brad...I can't afford more stuff right now...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Yep, we put one in, probably one of the best improvements we have made so far. $99 is a great price. The ice maker uses less energy than our upright freezer, and allows us to have extra food storage in the refrig/freezer instead of taking up room with the ice storage box.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Added one this year. Wife says it takes up too much room on her kitchen counter, so I set it up outside on my table next to my portable kitchen. Works great. Got the same one when it was reduced to $149. $99 sure is a great buy.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Thanks Brad...I just had to stop to see and sure enough - one left at 150 bucks.
Now if I hadn't just bought a new truck, I may have taken it home with me. Right now it's a yellow tag, if it doesn't move, it'll turn green and they knock the price down again. You got there at just the right time....
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Love ours, ranks right up there as one of the best purchases yet for our rig. Right behind the foam mattress.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It's a neat little gadget. It is not a freezer, so once a pile of ice is made you have to bag it and freeze it to get the full production. Otherwise it will melt and remake.

Nice to have ice from your own water source. Read some awful stories about bagged ice equipment. We will primarily use it to keep the beverage cooler in the boat full, and to have fresh ice available in the RV.

Ozzie - give Home Depot a little push
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We are on a 3 week vacation and I looked for one at several HDs before we left - none to be found! I finally bit the bullet and bought the Avanti. We love it - more room for Blue Bell!! It is too big for our countertop so we have it sitting on the dinette table, but that's ok for just the two of us. I agree that it's one of the better improvements we've done!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We have an ice machine as well in our 3400. Boy, great price, thought we did well with $149. Even that was much better than CW or our dealer.

I built a stand for our machine and placed ours inside the front door closet. The stand is tall enough, deep enough and just wide enough to hold two cases of beverages. This allows us to use the other half of the closet as well. With the plumbing for a washer, we have a hose to re-fill the ice machine.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
That's a great price Brad. I believe I saw CW has theirs marked down to $132 and I thought that was good! We got ours at Costco, a Mr. Freeze, for $149. They sure are handy to have.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Brad I have had my first one for about 6 months and love it. I paid full retail for my first one and I like it so much I bought a second unit for the patio at home when they went on sale a couple months ago.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Okie Guy - That's funny, as I just got through using it on the patio all weekend to try it out. Now I wonder if I need another . A little heavy to shuffle back and forth.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Great price Brad. I bought one for DH as a Christmas present - only problem was I got it last yr at a HD end of summer clearance just before our Labor Day Camping trip for $149.. Of course we had to try it out!! It fits great between our recliners and we put the cooler right in front of it. Works great, we love it.
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are thinking of putting an ice maker on top of our combo washer/dryer. Any one see a problem???? I found one that will fit. CW's would but they are out of stock until the end of August and we won't be here.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Parrothead,
The only problem may arise from the vibrations of the washer/dryer unit. I noticed when transporting our ice-maker in the back seat of the TV that the internal rattling (I beleive from the two trays inside) absolutely drove me batty. That transportation spot has since been moved out of the TV permanently (we use the ice maker both at home and in the Monty - (guess like Brad I am going to strongly consider a second one.). I also do not believe that the vibrations would be very good for the unit itself, but I am neither an electrician or an electrical engineer. Just my thoughts.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sue,

I leave our ice maker on the kitchen counter with some non-skid material underneath. While travelling down the road, we use the inverter to make ice. Pretty kewl. We love the ice maker.

Like Brad said, we DO stockpile ice in the spare space in the freezer.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #17
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Sue, check this out...it's white...at least my new one came in that way. I keep ours in the basement of the Montana right where the laundry door/floor is. I think you have a taller basement...would be a breeze. Anwyay check out this link, cheaper than Camping World.

Magic Chef Ice Maker at Target

All the Home Depots were all out of them and I searched and searched until I found one. They too were out until they said August, but mine came last week.

We love it, we stock the cooler with ice once when we leave and the ice maker keeps up from there. If we weren't using the cooler we'd have more ice than we would need.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks for the info Patty. I saw that one but we really want to keep it inside (we are lazy sometimes) and the space on top of the w/d is wasted. But the Msgic Chef is too tall. CW's would fit but they are back ordered until the end of August and we have no idea where we will be then.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is odd?????, I was pretty sure that they were all the same size. We sit ours on the floor across from the dinette up againt the center bar. It works fine there after banging your shins on it a few times until it becomes inbedded in your walking habits....OUCH.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #20
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Thanks for the info Patty. I saw that one but we really want to keep it inside (we are lazy sometimes) and the space on top of the w/d is wasted. But the Msgic Chef is too tall. CW's would fit but they are back ordered until the end of August and we have no idea where we will be then.
Happy trails..........................
You're welcome Sue. I thought they were all the same size too? The ones I saw at Camping World in Goshen last year were the same size.

Mine actually is accessed from the inside. That's why it's just below the laundry door near the steps. I sit on the steps and get the ice. We use the washer and dryer as hampers in between loads, so we didn't need the space for a basket. Before the ice maker I kept the warm pop and adult beverages down there.

We had our first one outside during very hot weather and it quit working. It said on the directions something about really hot weather. I guess I had missed that part.

I'm curious if camping worlds will fit, and I am assuming here you have a stackable washer and dryer, how are you going to open the lid to get your ice cubes out and pour water in to make the ice? Maybe the one at Camping World is a completely different design?

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote