Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #21
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Jretz probably knows about this better than I do but, I seem to recall that several communities in AZ have outlawed new RO installations because the are so inefficient. That is, they waste a lot of water for each amount of purified water supplied.
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have a filter system for the camper and we carry Bottled water on board. I was refering mianly to city water systems. We become accustomed to the taste of our local water therefore the water taste different everywhere else.That does not mean it is harmful.Even the horrible Water in Havasu City , Az was safe to drink.if you could stand it.When we camp locally we fill our fresh water tank with our own city water so we will have familiar tasting water. I just think the Water issue is way over blown and we tend to listen to the marketing folks telling us what is good or bad for us and of course they have a product to fix that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
As I stated health inspections and EPA evaluations have minimum numbers that need to be met. Example is the water system at Carolyn's house. The areas county water had levels of Radium in it. After over 40 years of use of this system the development was finally put on the City Water system which does not have Radium but it does of low levels of Arsenic. As Ozzie stated water testing results can be an eye opener to people.

For years water supplies have been maintained at what is considered to be safe levels. Before regulations water was water and in some places personal wells are still in use (My house when I lived in Maine had one). Today people have become conscious of what is in their water and want it as pure/safe as possible. This has led to a boom in water filtration, purification, and softening systems. Years ago it was just do I have hard or soft water. Now it is not just hard or soft water but what else is in it.

Each person has their own level of comfort about what they eat and drink and each one should take their own steps to achieve this level. As for our City water supply, we still use bottled water for drinking, making coffee, and cooking. Other than that we feel fine using the City water. If we were going to stay in this house I would install a complete house filter system as well as an RO system for drinking in the kitchen.

Yes Dave in some cases there is a large amount of waste water from RO systems but in many areas it can make undrinkable water drinkable, ie: ships converting seawater to fresh and in the Persian Gulf several areas using it to convert seawater to fresh. The environmental impact from this is a whole nother issue as it does raise salinity levels in that small section of the ocean but then you can say that this is counteracted by the melting glaciers and ice cap lowering salinity levels of the ocean in their areas. Sorry for the rant, I'll get back on topic.

Since this topic concerns water filtration and purification in our Montanas I will just say, filtration and purification in an RV is good do to the unknown properties of the water at an RV park or campground. The way you achieve this is up to you as most of the systems mention in this topic are very good.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Since we mostly all use bottled water, why are we complaining about the cost of gas and diesel fuel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 AM   #25
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ain't that the truth.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A gallon of bottled water cost about a buck and last 2 or 3 days. A gallon of fuel cost @ 3 bucks and last about 10 min's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #27
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I drink the water right from the tap. I let the city or the county take care of filtering and treating my drinking water. I would prefer the small amount of chlorine in the water to keep my campers plumbing sanitary and germ free rather than remove the chlorine between the faucet and the camper that could allow bacteria to grow in the plumbing system. At my favorite mountain campground I get naturally filtered cold mountain deep well water for all my and my dogs water needs. However when I use my freshwater tank on my fiver I sanitize it on the first filling of the season with 1/4 cup chlorine bleach to a full water tank to kill any bacteria that may have taken a foothold in there during the off season.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #28
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Have read with much interest all the comments about filtered, bottled etc water. Must say that we are firmly entrenched in the "make sure your water is safe by taking care of it with a filter you know works" camp. And testing our water like Brad has mentioned sounds sensible as well. Why are we so insistent on this? Pat got a roaring raging case of Giardia Lamblia at a campground in the Rockies a while back. What did she do that Bill didn't? She brushed her teeth in the camp's bathroom. When travelling in places where we are uncertain about the quality of the water, we now make sure that we only drink what we know to be safe.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We live in a RV park that the owners filter and soften the water, now we started geting reaction from to much salt in the system. I installed a Whirlpool two filter house filtering system in the cargo hold on the main line and a Whirlpool R/O system under the sink, it takes up some room but no more than storing all the bottles. and as stated you throw out about 1.5 gal to every gal you can drink. we are on sewer now so no problem. When on the road I pot a bypass valve on it. I was going to try runing a long line thru the underbelly and have it out to water the plants when on the road, still thinking..

Bob

I just got back on line, we were off line for about a month, lot of reading to catch up.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We use a whole house filter intended for a stick home. Purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. You can get adapters there, also, for hose fittings. Works great and the filter needs to be changed every six months. Filters cost about $13 for a pack of two.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #31
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Carol, below is a pic of what we have and it's been working for us for years. Change the filters as directed and you should be good to go.

Now THAT is a clever filter rack. That's in my project list - double filtration!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #32
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Check out this site. They have a filter for just about everything!

http://www.omni-water-filters.org
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote