Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Water

Is there a water filtration system we can put on our unit for drinking water? We carry water from home and then buy what we need for our stays. I was just wondering if there was something that would make the water safe.
I got terribly sick years ago by drinking the water at Brennan Beach on Lake Ontario. So am leary of water at campgrounds.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carol,

I would suggest a RO (reverse-osmosis) system. These systems in the last few years have become very affordable, but there are trade-offs. They clean the water through pressure and a replaceable cartridge that has very small pores to only let pure water through and trap existing bacteria. Purified water is kept in a holding tank for consumption.

I opted to not use the RO system because of the space required. I have since seen several very ingenious installs, so maybe this might be a good solution for you if someone who has already installed this system could guide you through the process.

We use 3 filters, now. The first filter is a simple sediment filter that is connected to the hose, it basically keeps little rocks from invading the faucet screens. The second filter is an in-sink type that is mounted next to the faucet in the kitchen, it is designed for drinking water, purchased at CW for ~$30, was an easy install. We use this faucet and put water into a Brita filter pitcher before using. We have used this system for 6 months on the road; I have a very weak stomach, and have had no problems so far.

I have seen triple filter contraptions (Quartzsite) that fit on the outside hose that should work very well.

I know that there are several ways to filter water, and several people will come up with all kinds of recommendations. Consider the pros and cons of use and setup and filter replacement before purchasing.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Chuck has two filters on our unit now. I just may invest in Brita. I see it advertised and it should pay for itself in no time. Don't know why the dogs want to drink all the time when we camp . We spent more time running to Walmart for water this last trip than anything else.

Carol
Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
check out www.rvwaterfilterstore.com. I bought the double jumbo canisters and a underwater sink unit for drinking. I don't want to be running to store all the time. They seem to have everything you need for filtration. I m not connected to them in any way, just wanted good water........I'm sure there are other opinions and you will probably get them soon. This is just another option if you want it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Carol, below is a pic of what we have and it's been working for us for years. Change the filters as directed and you should be good to go.

BTW- Even with the filters I wouldn't trust any water at Brennen Beach. A close personal friend in Pulaski who knows them well could tell you horror stories about that outfit. It's a wonder the health department hasn't shut them down.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Dick Brennan did sell. Health Dept has delayed opening several times.
That set up you have looks like what Chuck is doing.

Carol
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have Glenn's hookup, plus a water softener, and we still buy distilled water for the yorks and drinking water for us. Al is the only one with a iron clad constitution, for the rest of us, the filters are wonderful, but they don't do the trick for intestinal upsets.

Short of it, filter away, if I drink it, I am still gonna be sick. Same for the yorks, and you don't wanna clean up after FOUR sick yorks, been there, done that, and it was from DISTILLED water that was bad, how bad is THAT???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I use a inline filter for primary cleaning and a Seagull iv water filter on each sink. It filters to less than 1 micron.
http://www.generalecology.com/ I realy trust their systems and never had any problems
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I have also been told that using filters with water that hasn't been treated with chlorine will allow bad little critters to grow in the filter. We use a Brita for cooking & coffee & bottled for drinking.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We double filter all our water coming into the rig and use a Brita pitcher for drinking and cooking. Have had no difficulty with water no matter where we go. I drink the water from the faucet and have never run into any bad water except in New Mexico. Drank reverse osmosis water there.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

I have also been told that using filters with water that hasn't been treated with chlorine will allow bad little critters to grow in the filter. We use a Brita for cooking & coffee & bottled for drinking.
I believe someone has told you something that is not true. In all our years of full timing we've never had anything show up in the filter (critters). Our Hydralife filter removes all the impurities in the water while the filter in front of the Hydralife removes all the debris.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We filter all water coming into the RV. It gets the Brita treatment for coffee and cooking but we buy RO water for drinking and the ice machine.. We refill the bottles at Wal Mart or Miers so the cost is trivial
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't understand.Except in parts of the country where the water taste really bad(but still safe to drink) like parts of Az. Cities go to great lengths to insure that the water that comes out of our taps meet stringent health standards....yet we feel it necessary to remove the very chemicals that make the water safe to drink saying they are unhealthy and harmful. Or is it the multi million filter business that tell us that. We have toured out local water treatment plant, our water comes right out of Lake Erie,and they have pages of regulations and go to great lenghts to conform to health standards and are constantly monitored.
If the chemicals are harmful why not pump it right out of the Lake, river, stream right to the tap.Helen is one of those who will drink only spring water.. right out of the ground, with no protection at all...me..I drink the water out of the tap''always have...or as we like to say here....been doing it for years and never had a problem...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #14
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Richfaa,

It is not the chemicals that the water company adds to the water, it is the chemicals and pollutants that are in the water. In some parts of the country you have natural occurring heavy metals in the water, some areas even have low levels of poisons. The standards set by the EPA and other regulatory agencies are just that, standards. They do not require complete removal of all harmful particles from the water.

As for water in campgrounds, there is also the system at the campground. Do they have their own well system or a community well? Do they use a holding tank? Most commercial RV parks use the local water system but some outlying and older parks as well as state and federal campground may have older systems.

Another reason for filters, as simonsrf stated, is for sediments. These come both from the water itself and from the system it travels through. An example is in older homes you get seatmates from galvanized pipes as they get old and build up corrosion on the inside (those little rocks you clean from your facet screen).

The best way to go is an RO system for drinking water and a sediment and carbon filter for the whole system. A dual system with easily removable filter between the supply and the 5th wheel with a sediment filter first then a carbon block filter. This way the sediments are taken out by their own filter and do not cause the carbon block to breakdown.

Look around at your local hardware store, Wal Mart, or other place that has in line filters. Check for ones that are common around the country or use a common filter so you can easily find replacement filters. Glenn's system looks great and looks to be very easy to setup and move as well as being stable when put in place.

Having sold water filtration systems, several years ago, I have seen water analysis's that were very scary. Some of the water from the California foothills around the old gold rush areas could only be made safely drinkable with an RO system, due to the metals that were in it. Personally I feel safe using a two filter system or a Britta pitcher, as long as the water is coming from a regional (ie; city, county, water district) system.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I don't understand.Except in parts of the country where the water taste really bad(but still safe to drink) like parts of Az. Cities go to great lengths to insure that the water that comes out of our taps meet stringent health standards....yet we feel it necessary to remove the very chemicals that make the water safe to drink saying they are unhealthy and harmful. Or is it the multi million filter business that tell us that. We have toured out local water treatment plant, our water comes right out of Lake Erie,and they have pages of regulations and go to great lenghts to conform to health standards and are constantly monitored.
If the chemicals are harmful why not pump it right out of the Lake, river, stream right to the tap.Helen is one of those who will drink only spring water.. right out of the ground, with no protection at all...me..I drink the water out of the tap''always have...or as we like to say here....been doing it for years and never had a problem...
Rich,
I partly agree with you about “City” water. When we are camped where the campground is using “city” water I occasionally don’t use my filters. Especially so if it’s just an overnighter BUT as jretz pointed out it’s not necessarily the health issue but the sediment issue. Many cities still use the old galvanized pipe. No sure if you have ever seen the inside of a well used water pipe. The can be so corroded that a ¾”ID or ½”ID pipe has so much corrosion that the waterway is less than ½ of it’s original size. This same corrosion will break loose and find it’s way to your spigots aerator or your drinking glass. This won’t happen with a good filtration system.
Many, many campgrounds do not have “city” but instead rely on a well. These wells will often suck debris off the bottom and send it through those same type galvanized pipe. Once again it is the filter system that will catch the debris.
Prior to Full Timing, we owned a motel and fishing camp in northern New York. Our water was pumped from our well. The NY Health Dept inspected our well and water system on a very regular basis. The were looking for any containments that maybe a health issue and therefore we were required to have a chlorinator to kill any possible germs BUT they were not the least bit concerned with the flaking off corrosion of the galvanized pipes. Without the filters you not only put up with the debris but the chlorine as well. You could smell the chlorine not only in the drinking but the shower as well.
Anyone that attended the first MOC fall rally can attest to the fact that the Pla-Mor RV Park had the dirtiest water imaginable. It had a bit of a beige look to it. The campground even posted a sign at the laundry that you not wash whites. I didn’t have a filtration at that time and the water turned the Montys pipes brown. The following year we were again at Pla-Mor but now I had my dual filter system and did not have any problems.

As you said ” been doing it for years and never had a problem...” for your sake I hope you will be able to say that for years to come but I seriously doubt it. Don’t be foolish with your and Helen’s health get some sort of filtration..
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We as Dave said filter all water coming into our 5er. We buy bottle water for drinking and cooking. Change filters every 6 months. Thru out the country the water taste so different and you never not were it comes from. But it does cost a little more, but we prefer the taste and we also buy at discount stores. Being raised on a farm I have drinked river water creek and spring water. And it wasn't a problem until all this different things that are put into the water plants. Also its so much chemical being used in farming and ranching you never no whats in the water. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We are using a double filter set similar to what some of you are showing. Not enough use yet to come to any solid conclusion, but we also bought a portable reverse osmosis unit for those special occasions. Along with that came a water tester...
Let me tell you - talk about opening ones eyes.

First I tested the water in our stick home. 485 parts solids...then tested the reverse osmosis unit. 005 parts solids. I was so amazed I tested some distilled water...004. That reverse osmosis was giving us close to distilled water. My wife said there was no taste left in it and didn't like it, but at least I know what I have when using it.
Our home RO unit gives us about 075 and tastes very good.

Here's the kicker - I tested some Evian bottled water and it was no better than our home tap water (450 parts).
That water tester is now making the rounds among our friends and we refuse to buy expensive water in the small fancy bottles.

The thing with reverse osmosis is the waste you have to deal with in an rv. We threw away a 1.5 gallons of water to get enough for a pot of coffee (I measured it). If you are hooked up to full sewer then have at it, but if you are dumping on the way out you might want to either buy pre filtered in the gallon jugs for drinking, or get a good filter setup.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Since our house is on what use to be a farm and we have a well, we get the water tested once a year. If you have ever gotten sick from bad water, you will never chance it again. The Dr. said I had something (big long name) that people who travel in the jungle get. Was not pleasant to have for two weeks.
Going to buy water, get a Brita and Chuck will continue his filters. Don't want a sick German Shepard or my little 9 pounder.
PlaMor was another story. The smell got to me.

Carol
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #19
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have used Nature Pure for a couple of years and like it. It is very compact and fits under the sink --just for drinking water. It filters everything except asbestos. Everpure filters it all. Our filter lasts for about a year. Rich, you aren't always connected to "city" water. Often it is well water which isn't required to be checked very often. With city water, "they" often screw up. Know that a Canadian city knowingly left e-coli in their water, killing several children. There was an incident just recently where "they" put in too much of the "good stuff". Drink at your own risk.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
The private CG I stay at in the summer has a well system. The state comes in to do a complete inspection every year. This is a private CG, but still has to be licensed. This is my 20th season here, and I have NEVER drank the water, or allowed my animals to drink it either, except to brush my teeth. It never tasted all that good, but by last season, the smell and taste made me want to hurl. The pump house had a 100 gallon tank in there, and it was OLD. So, last week I sprung for a whole new water system here. It is 3 separate stainless steel tanks. They are hooked up in a series together. They total 258 gallons, and are on a chlorinated filtration system. The pump blew also, and was a 3/4 HP motor. Now, there is a full HP in there. It pumps 20 gallons per minute, has no smell, and tastes just like plain old well water again. I still won't risk drinking it, but at least I don't feel like hurling everytime I turn on the water faucet...LOL

It was also a pain whenever they wanted to top off the water in the pool. It would completely drop the water pressure throughout the entire park. God forbid if they did this when you were in the shower...LOL But, the plumber says we won't be affected by that anymore. And because it's 3 separate tanks, if there is a problem with one, that doesn't mean they all have to be shut down. It was a big chunk of money out of my pocketbook, but it's worth it to me because I cherish this space.

I usually take the gallon jugs back home with me and fill them up there. But, that option is gonna be closed to me in 6 days when I start my fulltiming journey...:-)

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote