Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Replaced TV and Microwave

After the Apollo started turning itself on, we decided to replace it with a standard microwave, and bought a Dometic from Camping World. With some minor modifications, I was able to use the Apollo mount and plastic trim. One would have to look very closely to tell if it’s a factory installation or not.

We also decided to replace the TV in the entertainment center with a flat screen LCD.
Westinghouse just introduced a 26” LCD that fit the entertainment center opening just about perfectly. There is about a ¼ inch gap on each side, and about 2” across the top of the TV. The TV is SKU 26H520S, and has a built in HD tuner. We picked it up at Sams Club for under $500.00 bucks. After installing, I cranked the antenna up and picked up over 15 digital over-the-air channels using the built in HD tuner without touching the adjustment on the antenna. We live about 25 miles from the transmitting antennas in Memphis, so that probably helped. I did pick up some stations that are 50 to 60 miles out. The TV is so new, it’s not on the Westinghouse web site yet. I did manage to find some info here,
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...0S&main_cat=12

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well DL N K, I think your the first one that actually replaced Apollo with a regular microwave! Good for you and good to hear it fit well. Our Dometic never gave us any problems, and we will replace our new Apollo as you did first sign of trouble. I really need the reliability of a Microwave more than the convenience of the Convection. With so little time to be on vacation, I don't want to nurse that thing.

Enjoy your new TV as well - aah, now your into the HD world and everything starts to get more complicated . The HD receiver for Dish is too expensive to dedicate to the Monty, so I'm back to toting it around between the stick house and camper. The HD cable to the TV was over $100. However - It just doesn't make sense to have the HDTV and not have HD satellite and 5.1 sound, even though it is a bother to get there.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DLNK..How did you secure the new tv. I ask because we found the top screw in our OEM Tv had broken off due to the constant stress when on the road. That means there is added stress on the two bottom screws which will break off resulting in the tv ejecting onto the floor while in transit..We have the 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The factory LCD bracket is pretty slick - Not sure if they made it or if it's commercially available. It's a big steel L-frame bracket screwed to the back of the TV and it slides into a bracket in the base of the cabinet and snaps in. To release, you just go in behind through the DVD drawer and release the bracket.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will talk to our dealer about the bracket.....Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich, that screw may have broke when you were on that interstate you were talking about where the speed limit was 80. I'm sure you tested that V10.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Sounds like a nice new storage space behind the old tv spot that could be cut in from the hall side ,, if you need doors to match the unit let me know as i have the spot that keystone gets them from
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Well, Brad, they're not quite the first to replace the Apollo, but I don't think they'll be the last. I replaced it over a year ago because I wanted something that didn't cause my generator to stumble everytime I turned the microwave on. I put in a Panasonic "inverter" microwave that changes the power level in a different way than most microwaves. Most decrease power by changing the duty cycle of the microwave tube; that is, they turn the tube on at full power, but turn it off for different lengths of time. The Panasonic keeps the tube on all the time, but at different power levels. That means that the current it draws drops as you lower the power level setting.

It may take a bit longer to cook some things, but I don't have to turn something else off just to run the microwave.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob, How well your Panasic retrofit to the cabinet?

Sounds like a neat microwave - I can always tell when our standards one cycled as it dim the lights and chug the generator.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Brad, the model I have (NN-T695SF) fit the bezel almost perfectly. I offset it slightly to one side and moved it forward just a bit because the door hinges aren't the same. I also had to make a support to replace the plastic one that the Apollo sits on because the feet aren't spaced quite the same. All in all, pretty straightforward modifications, and it looks good.

It's a 1.2 cu ft, 1300 Watt unit, and I see it's advertised online at Newegg.com for $110, but out of stock. Dimensions are 20.4" W x 11.9" H x 15.9" D. It's old enough that it might have been discontinued, but several other sites are carrying it for $30 - $40 more.
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:45 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since we got our replacement Apollo.. build date of Aug 06 it has worked perfectly.. and we use it a lot.I looked at the Apollo's on the line at the factory and they were all build dates of Aug 06 or later..if yours has the Aug build date you might wnat to give it a chance before changing it out. Our old one had a build date of Feb 06 and it failed on a regular basis.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:21 AM   #12
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Rich,
I started with a shelf board, the kind that is solid and made up of laminated 1X whatever, (from Lowes) to sit on the floor of the original opening. This peice is 3/4" thick 20 inches wide and cut to length to fit crossways in the original opening, on our 3500 this was about 26 3/8". The shortest shelf board I could find was 4 feet long. I let the new shelf overhang the front of the original opening about 1" to allow the LCD screen to be flush with the sides of the opening.
I set the LCD on the new shelf with the front of the base (stand) flush with the front of the new shelf. I drilled 6 holes through the base and attached it to the shelf with wood screws. I then fabricated 2 metal strap braces which mount from the wall mount holes on the TV down to the rear edge of the shelf. I used metric screws to attach to TV and wood screws to attach to shelf. I then slid the new shelf into the original opening, and attached it with dry wall screws, coming up from the bottom, accessed through the fireplace opening. It is a very solid mount, the metal strap braces take out all wobble that I though would cause the plastic base on the LCD to break. I covered the front edge of the new shelf and the top back 3 inches from the front edge with some woodgrain tape I had left over from the previous RV that matches the golden oak trim. I also stained the top of the shelf with golden oak.
In a perfect world and if I had time, I would have added some kind of swivel to this mount set-up to allow the TV to rotate 90 degrees to make use of some of the available space freed up by the new LCD. (looks like a great place for DVD storage.) On the 3500, this space is not accessable from the side, over the computer desk, as there is a brace there for the shelf that holds the DVD player, VCR and satellite receiver. But, since we're nowhere close to retirement and fulltiming, we're not short of storage space yet.

On the microwave, as one person commented, the spacing of the "feet" on the new Dometic is about 1 to 1.5 inches narrower than the Apollo.
I cut about 1 1/2 inches out of the plastic cross peices so I could move the leg mounts closer to each other. I also added a piece of 1/4" plywood to the floor of the original opening to gain a bit of strengh, as the cross braces under the compartment floor seem to be spaced for the Apollo leg spacing. I secured the Dometic with a length of plumbers strap, (metal with holes) by attaching the strap with 1 screw on top of the microwave, and 1 drywall screw on each side to eleminate any 'bouncing' of the Dometic.

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote