Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Big Sky Wanabee (Awning)

Well, some like em, and some don't, but I had the Carefree Travlr Power Awning installed. My main reason was I couldn't reach the upper knobs and levers on the factory awning during setup and teardown.

I replaced only the power arms, and retained my original awning fabric and tube. The installer removes the tube springs. Funny that Carefree power arms fit A&E awnings, but A&E power arms don't fit A&E.

This is the same power arm system used on the Big Sky. It is just electric out and in. So far it maintains itself very well in a breeze, with a heavier shock and arm system than the A&E power awning.

Decided to add some window awnings as well. Went with A&E to match my existing fabric.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad that looks nice. The question I have is there a way to roll up the awning should the electrical fail?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad looks really nice. I went with the one piece awning over the slide. I hope to install it this weekend if the weather stays nice.

Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Campbud - Good luck on your weather! I debated the 1 piece and would like to see your's when you're done.

Dennis, in the event you loose the electrical feed, they give you a connector that attaches to the motor head and you can raise it with a drill battery or any 9-18V source you have. Of course if the motor goes bad, you're as doomed as having a broken spring in a regular awning - Roll it up by hand and wire tie the arms for the road home.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be watching your reports on the power awning as just about all of the reports have been less than positive, on this forum, other forums and from folks we know that have them..We would like to have one as I am very lazy.The side window awning are also on our short list.The bright sun and heat here in Az denote the need for the side awnings. Helen and I will be sitting down and evaluating the all over performance of the Montana when we get home then make the decision on if we will stay with it or move on to something "more suitable"But these are items we feel are necessary on a camper based on how we use it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad I will post a picture when install is complete.
Your Montana is real nice.

Rich, Are you seriously thinking about SOB?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In our previous life, working in the Aviation industry (FAA Electronic systems) We purchased a system designed to meet our needs and operate under pre determined conditions. We the evaluated the system for a period of time, in this case 1 year determined by the Keystone warranty. During that time we made several system corrections or upgrades.We called them "system patches) in our industry and they are considered a normal thing to do.We have and are evaluating and recording results on the Montana based on how it meets our needs and our expectations.We have a April 16th appointment at the Service Center where the issues recorded will be corrected and our evaluations discussed.There is then the determination of can we correct or upgrade the present system to meet our needs or is there something more suitable..that we can afford... It is not a arbitrary decision.It is based on fact and performance of the product.Data will tell us what we need to do. Understand the evaluation must be conducted under the conditions that WE use OUR Montana.Only under those conditions are the results valid... Design, Implementation, data collection/evaluation and solutions with viable alternatives..will always work. Of course there is always "Murphy's law"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I am jealous!!! Question: The Carefree awning arms are shorter than the A&E arms that came with your coach. How did you fill the holes from the old arms??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Brad,

Your rig looks really good with those awnings, and as Rich said, it will be interesting to see how Carefree holds up.

Rich,

That's a pretty scientific method of evaluation you guys have. When all is said and done, you will know exactly what is needed or wanted, for the way you will be useing your unit. The outcome of this will also be interesting.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad, how are these arms in a "mild" breeze. One of the things I like about the manual arms is that I can lean on the extendable arms (with a ladder, of course) hard and really tighten that awning by tightening that knob. My awning can handle a good 20 mph "breeze w/o flapping - I do have one deflapper halfway up both sides. Until I figured how to tighten those arms down really snug, I always had "flapping" and rattling.

My problem I might have with that automatic awning is that might be very susceptible to flapping?

I put my awning up when there is a considerable wind coming, but I want my awning down and used. I look around and see half the CG (or more) that NEVER put down their awnings. I feel that's a waste. Of course personal preference - but it feels like and extra room to me. I really feel naked - so to speak - with that awning rolled up.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave - I'm like you, I like to put out the awning even at night. This one will not take the kind of wind you can do with a tied down manual awning though. You have to retract it. I left it out all day Friday while I worked on the Monty. It was mildly breezy and it did fine, even though the automatic awnings on the stick house had retracted several times as a result of the breeze. The double scissor arms are stout, much moreso than the AE electric.

The first thing I noticed is no flapping. You wouldn't need deflappers. The arms absorb the breeze and let the fabric move, while the shocks keeps tension on the arms.

Too early to tell though. Only tried it a couple of days.

Montana Sky - as far as holes... The lower bracket holes remain. I'm getting an estimate to re-gel the front holes just because I already have an appointment to get a factory flaw fixed on the slide (saw gouge). Otherwise I would probably just leave the screws in. As far as the long arm by the door, what a perfect spot for a step light - to be installed tomorrow!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Brad those awnings very good looking. I'm envious.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
2 more questions: 1st, did you have a window awning put over the computer desk window? 2nd, would you please post pics of your step light when you get a chance? I would sure like to see the end result.

Thanx~ ms
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Sky,

I didn't put one on the computer desk window. It is too close to the edge of the slide. I couldn't figure a way to attach an arm there.

I'll post the light when I get it installed. It will be the same as a the front docking light.

Brad