Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Need help wiring roof fan

I just bought a used fantastic fan model 4400 at a garage sale in our campground. I want to install in the bedroom vent, but did not find any wiring for it. Looks like I could tap off the lights about a foot away, but that is a switched leg so the fan would only work when there was power to the bedroom lights. The other opiton I see would be to try to fish a wire over to the bathroom fan, that requires sneaking thru several roof trusses, which seems like a long shot.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know if there are wiring diagrams available for these units? There has to be an easy way, because it doesn't take a dealer long to install a fan.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Go ahead and fish the wire, it's no big deal. I would fuse the wire to it. If possible, run a wire all the way from the 12 volt fuse panel, I don't know where it is on your 5er, mine is in the bathroom.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
When I was at the factory two years ago, I asked them for a electrical diagram of our 2980 and they said they didn't use them! The installers have been doing this for so long they are not needed. As a former engineer I find this hard to believe!!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have a Fantastic fan over the bed and one in the stool closet (why thats another story). I pulled the wire to feed the fan in the closet from the fan over the bed, its hot all the time. Start from the fan over the bed and then drop the light down next to the bathroom door. Next get the new wire to the light hole that is open now, then move the wire toward the stool room fan. I used a stiff wire to make the pulls.SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Well I finaly got it in today. I gotta admire anybody that could do that in an hour. I spent that long taking lights and trim off trying to find a hot wire.

Then my wife and I spent another hour trying to fish a wire 5 feet. Tried three different approaches to fish the wire thru the metal trusses. My wife is always amazed at my vocabulary - she says it doesn't help, but it always makes me feel better at the time. Any we taped a pull line to a 5 ft. stick and shoved it thru the truss opening in the vent box over the bed at a diagonal towards the bathroom and found another hole in the next truss. Then droped a speaker to get a hand on the stick and guide it thru the next truss and into the other fan box. Then used the pull line to pull the wire thru. The wire is above the insulation for part of the run and below it for part.

It took another hour on the roof and more choice words, quitely so as to not upset the neighbors, getting the old caulk off of the rubber roof. Cut my thumb on the sheet metal of the original vent, yes more word games. It was a breeze from there. Just another hour to install the new fan, caulk it, install wiring and put all the trim back up. In a rare stroke of brilliance, we did remember to check the fan rotation before completing the wiring.

Looks good and runs great. The tented cover makes a noticeable difference in heat. Wife is happy. Life is good. Thanks for the help.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Glad to all came together. Did you try to get the wire to the light fixture by the door of the stool room? That would have been more of a straight shot, sorry if that didn't work out for you. The vent being shaded will help that small room from heating up allot. On you just need one over the bed, that one will be a breeze (sorry about the pun).SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote