Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
2nd AC install

I went to two Montana dealers today to inquire about installing a 2nd AC on my Mountaineer 319. It does not have a PRE WIRE….I was told by—

Dealer no 1 : No problem we do this all the time, should take about 2 hours to run the wire. Very easy to set the unit on the roof.

Dealer No 2 – Big job…very hard to run the wire in the ceiling of the 5th wheel.

Opposite opinions from Montana Dealers….

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Running the wires would not be my concern, I would be more worried about the additional weight the 2nd a/c can put on the ceiling around the vent. I read somewhere on this forum the 2nd a/c prep includes wire prep and additional support braces around the vent to support the a/c unit. If that is true, I would ask your dealer what could happen to your roof if you dont have those braces???
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
I too was worried about the weight ( low profile units 7.5" high and 95lbs )

I called Keystone AND asked both dealers and I was assured that the frame is the same on all units ( with or without the factory AC )Same answer from all three.

SO pulling the wireing sould not be a hard job ?

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Since the weight issue is now mute, I would say go for it. There have been a few members that have pulled wires through their ceiling. While Steve was replacing my watercloset fan, we noticed there is 12volt wiring right there that can be used to add a another 12volt fan in the vent next to my shower. I know it will take more than 12 volt wire to run the a/c, the point is it can be done.

Another thought....
If you have a authorized dealership install your a/c, all liability is on them. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
I too have a Mountaineer (2006) and made the mistake of getting it without the second AC or the "pre-wiring and support". I very quickly added the carrier low profile unit in the front and was initially concerned about both points you raised. After talking to the dealer who installed it he convinced me no problem on each. However, after further consideration, I decided that while running wiring to the fuse panel would be challenging but doable I went a different route for power. We ultimately ran the wire through the ceiling over to the closet and then down the inside of the closet where you can't see it and just drilled a hole out the bottom of the closet directly to the outside of the camper. Then we put a heavy duty plug with a cover made for the outside. Then the dealer made me a heavy duty extension cord the length of the trailer so the second AC plugs directly into a normal outlet at the campground power pole. This way I can still use 30 amp service for the rest of the coach and run the second AC as well in the event 50 amp service wasn't available nor do I have to haul around the 50 amp cord. I got the idea from another gentlemen who had done something similar. Works really well if you don't mind one additional cord running from the camper. Good luck with your install.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
From what I was told by the Dealer at time of purchase, he ordered all his units with the 2nd AC pre-wired because it automatically came with 50A service. I'm assuming through his discussion that some Monty's did not have the 50A service? That could be a problem for a 2nd AC install.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote