Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2005, 04:38 AM   #1
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
How we use our Montana (wear items)

From the "shackle maintenance" thread, richffa thought it might be interesting to see how we all use our Montana to see how things hold up under use. Expecially interesting to see how the wear items hold up for the "power" users.

So, Here is our story:

Summary:
This unit seems to be holding up reasonably well. More repairs for remaining factory issues (and picky owner complaints) than wear items to date.

Model: 2002 Montana 3575RL (manufactured 11/2001)

Estimated towed mileage to date: 12,000.

Main Usage: Weekend, one long trip/year.

Estimated yearly milage: 3000-5000.

Weather extremes while in use: Midwest late winter/late fall down to the 20's and midwest summers up to 100's & typical humidity in the 90's % range.

Typical campsite: Full hookup, 10% W+E, 45% E, 40% dry camp, 5%

Typical travel terrain: Flat midwest: 70%, Hilly flatland (Tennessee, Ozarks) 25%, mountain 5%.

Special equipment to enhance long life:
Currently none.

Installing TrailAir pinbox in the coming week to help reduce frame & interior stress during towing.

Special notes:
This is a second hand unit. Previous owners full timed for 18 months and accounted for ~ 11,000 of the towed mileage.

Typically use on-board water supply & pump even if water is available. That lets us use a low flow rate filter & our water softener & keeps fresh water tank turned over.

Montana has more room in shower than old TT so anticipate much higher usage.

Have not had Montana that long (7 months) and only just really starting to use it.

Wear patterns:
Mileage suggests accelerated wear on suspension will be seen (see "shackle" threads).

Previous owner informed me that spare tire rim (steel) is has small crack that leaked. Has inner tube in tire (which I don't think is particularly safe).

Fire extinguisher seems to keep working its mounting screws loose. Needs better mount. Will also upgrade fire extinguisher at that time.

Some doors/drawers not able to hold themselves closed during travel.

Most things "work" but some don't work as well as I think they should. Still upgrading/repairing factory build issues or changing factory design in some area's.

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Eric,

Well thought out post, I am gonna abbreviate my response, as some of your points are in our sig line, and other points I have posted long and loud about all over this forum.

Mileage to date: somewhere in excess of 12000 miles

Use: long weekends (no 2 day trips for us, if we don't go for at least 4 days, we don't go), several trips of 2 weeks or more, some for relaxation, some for research. 2 to 3 months each winter season to escape snowy, gray Michigan.

Campsites: never boon dock, may sometime in the future, but doubt it, partly cause of the dogs, partly cause we don't want to fuss with a generator, personal choice on no generator. We go where we want to go, if we get water hookups fine, if not, fill the fresh water tank, must have electric, sewer also optional. Prefer the full hookups, but sometimes not an option to do what we want, where we want.

Excessive wear: 6000 miles, the tires were bald and scalded on the inside, axle situation, Keystone and AlKo Kobler dealt with the situation, so far we are satisfied with the solution.

Weather, not sure if that is what you camp in, or what the rig is subjected to. What we camp in, fall camping in Michigan will bring temps down around freezing. We have not winter camped in this unit, and if we do so, it will NOT be with water service. It will be winterized. Again, personal choice. High temps when we have camped would have been in Rio Grande Valley, 95 degrees. Temps the unit has been subjected to, at least 4 below (temp when we left Michigan Jan 27, 05 for points south), high temp, 95.

Hauled on the National Highway of panhandle area of Maryland, whewie, beautiful ride, pretty good grades, but this is not the Rockies (or so they tell me). Majority of the hauling has been in milder terrain than that.

Concerns: issue with slide, Keystone is working with us on that, other than that, cannot think of anything serious, drawers and doors coming open, we have one drawer, bedroom, Al has never adjusted, it pops open. Other doors over desk, under TV, etc. If they are know to pop open, we tie shut with velcro strips, better safe than sorry. Replacement of some interior items, like kitchen faucet, done cause we wanted better. Issues with shackles, etc., wear issues, but we will keep an eye on them thanks to MOC making everyone aware of the possible situation.

Our unit is very comfortable to live in, the floor plan works well for our lifestyle, we hope to keep Montana for a VERY VERY long time! and spend many many hours, days, weeks and months in her!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Eric,

We use our 3280 for long trips mostly.
Took trip in 2003 and drove 32,000 miles but not sure about the towing. We estimate 25,000 mi on that trip and then we have spent 3 winters in Florida with this unit so all together we estimate 35-40,000 miles on unit.
The only problems we have had as far as wear was first trip out we wore a tire out in less than 3000 mi due to alighment.
Recently we replaced the shackles because one was about to breake.
The other wear item was the carpet on the steps and door to laundry chute we noticed it looked like the carpet was wearing faster than the rest of the floor.
When we checked we noticed there was no padding in these two places.
I removed the carpet and installed good padding and replaced the carpet and it wasn't wearing, it was packing down because of the missing pad.
I am not sure if this was just in my unit or if this is something in all Montanas. These are the two most wear prone areas and should have the best padding.
I feel that these items are few for the miles we have towed it.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

[...]

Weather, not sure if that is what you camp in, or what the rig is subjected to. [...]
Carol, it is while in use (camping). That can provide information about where pipes freeze, A/C's freeze up, thermostats go crazy, etc... I've updated my post to clarify. Thanks...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote