Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
HELP! Lost sewer hose container

Yesterday, somewhere along a 625 mile drive, I lost my sewer hose container (and, of course, the hose it contained). We had just spent 9 nights at different campgrounds and the container was normal at every stop, yet when we arrived at home last evening, it was completely gone, just a small bit of 'plastic' which idicated that it broke off and fell away. There were a few very rough places in the concrete sections of I-20 that are the most likely cause. Makes me wonder what all that bouncing does to other components of the trailer. Why do they continue to use concerete? We find ourselves praying for asphalt sections to rest a while.

Now to the point: Any ideas, experience, or information that anyone can give me about the best way to replace that carrier??? Please share immediately, as we will be leaving for a Colorado trip in about a week. I need to get it replaced before then.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:04 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
padredw,

Not sure what you had, but Al put some PVC pipe (think it is 4 inch diameter) under our Montana. Had cut to fit the width of the rig, about 8 foot. Drilled holes in bottom for drainage. Attached to Montana with staping and other stuff (small long bolts, I think). One end he closed up with PVC plug and cemented it shut, the other end he has threaded, etc. so he can unscrew and get to the hose. Al went to a plumbing store and had them cut the PVC to the length he needed, as we were on the road and did not have the kind of tools for that (the store also did the threading, if my ole memory serves)

The bouncing, is why we now have the Isolator. We feel it really takes a lot of the damage bouncing out of the ride on roads like I 10, etc. Makes me shiver every time I think what was going on before Isolator was added.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Carol, your suggestion is the way I am beginning to think I should go. Yes, my original was that PVC 4", but it had a nice 'door' with a latch on the working end. That's what I hate to loose, but I'll probably have to use that screw-on cap such as you mention.

Those concrete roads are killers. I-20 near Shreveport was probably the worst, and that may be where I lost the hose and container. If I could take state legislators on one day's ride with me and our Montana there wold be NO MORE CONCRETE used in highway construction.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David,

We were on I 20 near Shreveport, when we left Texas this year, drove over to Jackson Mississippi and got on the Natchez Trail there. I remember there were some bad spots, but my memory tells me that I 10 was worse and portions of 55 and 57 coming south out of Illinois and into the Arkansas area were worse. Only to a degree, as we agree, we pray for blacktop on the roads, and sigh when we hit it!

What I do seem to remember on I 20 is that some of the bridges had horrible joints at the end of the bridge, and it was quite the jolt when you dropped off that joint! OUCHIE! One I remember, Montana rocked and rolled at least 4, maybe even 5 inches, over and above the Isolator. It is so scary to watch, and we comment time and time again, what was going on back there before Isolator. Makes me cringe!

Bring on the senators and congressmen, we will give em a ride!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Padredw,

As someone else ststed 4" pvc works great, you can also buy an end cap that is threaded on one end, and purchase a threaded cap to fit. I drilled a 1" hole clear through the tube so I could fit a 1/2" socket in there to attach it to the frame. You will either have to put it in the same holes the previous tube was in, or if it was held on by straps, you will then have to see if you can get someone to help you hold it up to the frame and drill a couple pilot in the frame to bolt it to. I prefer bolting it on, the straps get rusty from salt etc. and break, the bolts hold it nice and firm. Don't caulk the wholes when your done, this way any extra water can drain out.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry you had trouble, but it sounds like you are getting good counsel on how to get rolling again. Have a nice trip to Colorado.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Sorry to hear about your problem with the loss of your sewer holder. Thanks for letting us know about it as it will surely make me double check mine to make sure it's secure. The above idea is the best I've heard of with using the right size pvc pipe under your rig. Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Colorado.
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Padredw-
I have my hose carrier attached just behind the front jack stands with a pair of stainless steel worm gear clamps that I bought from my local auto parts store. Works great!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:13 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You can buy a replacment at an RV supply with the cap, drain holes and mount. I purchased an additional carrier and mounted it nert to the original now I can carry two sewer hoses.Some times you need one (Short) 1 (Long) or both
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Padredw -

I was going to make my own, and noticed Camper World had them for less than I could make one for - $26 for the long one, I believe. It holds one of the expandable trays with the sewer hose in it, the angled attachment and the sewer end without the 90 deg elbow. Our 3400 has the sewer compartment, but I'm putting this in because it's a pain to coil the hose up. I'll just get one of the big ziploc bags to keep my fittings in and throw them in the sewer compartment. I think that's what Glen does. Sorry about the loss and good luck with the replacment.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We didn't see any PVC pipe laying on I 20 when we bounced along it yesterday. But we got an early start from Shreveport going west, so maybe we were too early or going in the wrong directions. Did you not feel it when you ran over it? Maybe you thought it was just extra bumpy. That interstate is bad but it's a lot better than it was as they have done a lot of resurfacing.

Thanks for the hint on Camping World, Rames14. We're in the market for a holder so we will check them out.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also added a second carrier using pvc pipe, the kind with the holes running down one side. I put that side down so moisture will drain out, drilled new holes just opposite those holes, then drilled through the frame and used self tapping screws with large washers to attach it. It and the original have survived many thousand miles of rough roads so far. I'd bet your original had screws tightened too much and perhaps cracked the pipe. It wouldn't take a lot to snap it loose from there.

I think next time I'll go with the one from Camping World and save myself the time and trouble of "assembling" the carrier from the various parts. I think cost was about the same, as Ron said.

Padre, now you know one of several reasons we usually avoid interstates. Some are nice and smooth but too many are rough, they nearly all have too much traffic in too big a hurry and most of them are rather boring drives. We just did two days of interstates and will be glad when we can get back to doing US highways. Our next travel day will likely be interstate again because we may need to cover 600 miles in one day. I'm not looking forward to that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Update. I was able to find the exact same "sewer hose access door" that was on our Montana from the beginning at our local RV dealer. It cost $34, but I was glad to pay because I liked the way that it worked. I purchased the 4" PVC and end cap locally and have almost finished installation. I quit for the day because we are having record heat here and I'll finish in the morning when it is cooler. I have two straps installed and lack only a third. It would probably be fine as it it, but I am going to put on the third strap to be extra secure.

Note: I did not notice anything at all. I have no idea where the hose and container fell off. Could have been anywhere between Columbus, GA and home.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:45 AM   #14
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We are probably to late with this but ...... We used 6 inch sewer pipe for this project. Mounted it with plumbers tape to the frame. We had three of them. One up front for the sewer hose and two in the rear. We kept the rails for our screen room, fishing rods and Glubs pool donut in them. I don't think it coast $26 for all three. With the 6 inch pipe you can leave the fittings on the hose and it is easer to get things in and out.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's sounds like a great solution to carrying fishing rods, Treecounter. We may have to adopt that idea. We've been trying to find a way to carry our fishing poles.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Final update (I like to see complete stories): Finished the installation this morning. It looks exactly as it did when we took delivery. Have three straps (plumbers strapping) through bolted to the front compartment floor (small bolt heads no problem for me), cemented cap on end, cemented new access door in place. Worth the cost to me to have the original access door.

Thanks, again, for all the help
Old 05-24-2005, 07:03 AM   #17
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I just posted this under a question in General, but I will re-post it here.
A note I like to use the angle iron and threaded rods, as I have seen the plumbers strap break after time.

I attached a 8" and 6" PVC pipe with caps under the front end of our 3400RL.
The 8" is for the outdoor carpet and the 6" is for the sewer hose.
All I did was for the 8" cut two piece of angle iron 10" long and 8" for the 6" pipe. Drilled holes about 3/4" in from the ends.
Used a threaded 3/8" rod and drilled holes in the frame.
I put the tubes in the area where there is the cut out for the gas bottles.
Then I used (4) nuts, 2 on the angle iron end of the rod and 2 on the frame end.
I had to cut a groove in the top of the 6" pipe for the gas line.
Drilled drain holes in the bottom of the 6" as it has the sewer hose in it.
Also drilled holes in the 8" caps to allow the air out of the tubes when I put the caps on.
I use a push pin with a small ball in the end of it to hold the caps on.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote