Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Gone From NO Water to TOO Much Water!

Hi Everyone...

The other morning we woke up to no water in the camper. Of course went outside to check and no one had water. I had to get down to the barn at the crack of dawn, so I woke my daughter and told her I left her a bottle of water next to the bathroom sink for her to brush her teeth. About 3-4 hours later a friend of mine came rushing into our barn to let me know my camper was flooding. Grabbed the puppy, left the horse in the cross ties and drove up in the golf cart only to find water gushing out of the hitch area and front end.

Can any of you guess where the water came from???

P.S. My daughter is doing very well. Besides accomplishing major acheivements with her green jumper, she has won 5 classes, one of them being the $10,000 Junior/Amaetuer Jumper class. I am very proud of her . Her hard work has paid off.

P.S.S. Oh, and to top it off I came home tonite from the grocery store to find a cap laying in my dogs little pen. Climbed up on the roof and a cap that covers the black water blew off. We have major winds now, but thats amazing.

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Sue,

First of all let me say congratulations for your daughters success at the show! More success in the shows.

What an experience with the water - didn't even know it could leak out of the hitch area. Wonder if a line blew under the floor in bathroom? I didn't think the pipes ran that far up. I hope you find out were and why soon. Maybe someone will have clue or have experience in this........good luck.

Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
ragdoll,
I think what Sue was saying was that they left the water on in the rig when it was NOT working and then the water came back ON while they were out of the trailer. The water has to go somewhere so when it filled the holding tank it ran on the floor and then out of the rig. I assume the basement got a lot of water in it too. Only thing you can do is turn off the water and start cleaning it up. Then dry it our as quickly as you can. If all goes well there should be no long lasting damage. Good luck. If this is NOT correct Sue please let us know exactly what happened. Thanks and also congrats to your daughter's success.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Sue, to you and your daughter. That's fantastic!

Other than what's already been posted I don't know any answers to your water question. Are you hooked up to a sewer line and both gray tank valves are open? If so, then the only thing I could think of is a broken or disconnected pipe somewhere. You might look in the basement storage area to see if there are any clues there. If not hooked up to sewer with valves open then RVWheels' thinking matches mine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:06 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RVWheels

ragdoll,
I think what Sue was saying was that they left the water on in the rig when it was NOT working and then the water came back ON while they were out of the trailer. The water has to go somewhere so when it filled the holding tank it ran on the floor and then out of the rig. I assume the basement got a lot of water in it too. Only thing you can do is turn off the water and start cleaning it up. Then dry it our as quickly as you can. If all goes well there should be no long lasting damage. Good luck. If this is NOT correct Sue please let us know exactly what happened. Thanks and also congrats to your daughter's success.

RVWheels
I'm guessing that you are right, and the water was left running. It would have filled the grey tank, and blew the cap off the roof. The water would then run all over the roof!.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
rvwheels, thanks for clarifing - think I was posting too late last night and surely didn't think of that situation of leaving the faucet open. It has been awhile since we have been able to use our rig but hoping too starting again in April.

sue, hope all worked out today for you.

Lorraine
Old 02-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Yes, even with the "WARNING" to my bright smiling rider in the morning she still forgot and tried the water, and left the faucet open, so when the water came back on we were down at the barn. The bathroom sink must drain too slow to handle the output and the sink overflowed. But the weird thing was the toliet. I came in and I could smell the black water, so I flushed the toliet and it kinda exploded and the black water came up in a gush up to the rim of the bowl. I relieved a little of the black water into a throw away bucket (boy that was a treat) and then the drain went right down. I called my sister Patty before hand and we were trying to figure out how the two played in together.
Then yesterday after our monsoon (slp) of rain we had terrible winds and I noticed a cap in my dogs pen. I went up on the roof and the cap that goes over the black water was missing, so it was my cap I found. I thought it was one of my neighbors caps and was shocked it was mine. Maybe when the day before the incident with the black water jarred it loose, then the winds topped it off. People around me were loosing their awnings left and right. It only takes one time to experience the awning thing, and it usually doesn't happen a second.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Thanks Sue for the update.

Lorraine
Old 02-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, this certainly has been an interesting trip for you. Do these kinds of things kinda follow you around or is this a one time adventure???
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
No mystery... your tank vents join in the attic.... or maybe even under the basement floor.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Sue, Sorry you had all the dad luck with the 5th Wheel but sure happy that your daughter is doing so well with her riding. Hope it offsets your bad luck somewhat. Our wishes for continued success in your horsemanship!!!
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
Hello Sue, congratulation on your daughter’s riding awards. I found out the sink in the 3400 drains in the black tank . This is done to prevent the toilet from stopping up the drain pipe with paper and stuff. Having the sink draining in the black tank gives more running water to the drain pipe for flushing purposes. I found this out when I left the sprayer hose on . Waste came out of my bath room sink and on the carpet. All of my carpet had to be replaced in the bedroom.
pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote