Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Fixing Dish Antennae......NO

My Dish Tailgater Antennae stopped rotating side to side so I took the lid off and confirmed it so I thought no big deal call King Controls and buy a new little drive motor and I should be good to go Right???? Wrong called King and they said yes you can order a new drive motor for 39 bucks BUT then you have to send the whole thing into them to "Sync" the motor to the circuit board and that will be 200 bucks + parts thank you...DANG, he said you are better off buying a new one.....so for the heck of it I looked at my Camping World receipt and I forgot I bought a 3 year Extended warranty for it YEAH BABY AND I get the newer version of the Tailgater..So FYI Gang if you try to fix it yourself AAHHH ya can't

Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Sometimes you eat the bear... john
Old 07-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sad that you can't fix anything anymore, but a happy ending in your case
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
None of this stuff is worth fixing. It gets cheaper and better all the time. Throw it away and get new.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I can't believe I bought a extended warranty on something other than my RV, I NEVER DO THAT, I must of been feeling Rich that day and said yeah what the heck I'll take that full 3 year replacement warranty ,good thing I lost my mind that day now I only have to drive 60 miles to the nearest Camping World Saturday but it is worth the drive
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Just be careful you don't spend another couple hundred shopping while you are there. Better leave the DW at home.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
We live in a throwaway society now. No one fixes anything now.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
LOL you got that right! she IS staying at the Resort while I go
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Just be careful you don't spend another couple hundred shopping while you are there. Better leave the DW at home.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Quote:

Resort?! LOL

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
There are "campgrounds" which we do stay at most of the time like our Membership Campgrounds which are pretty darn nice and there are "Resorts" where the spots are paved with Beautiful landscaping,pools,nice club houses .social events 24hr Security etc.. etc.. like this... http://www.marinarvresort.com/ THIS is a RV Resort not a Campground,You Snowbird folks in Arizona and Florida know what I'm talking about and we are Loving it here and WISH we could afford to live here but Oh well back to reality and a "Campground" next week which we love too
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Quote:

Quote:

Resort?! LOL
Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:

My Dish Tailgater Antennae stopped rotating side to side so I took the lid off and confirmed it so I thought no big deal call King Controls and buy a new little drive motor and I should be good to go Right???? Wrong called King and they said yes you can order a new drive motor for 39 bucks BUT then you have to send the whole thing into them to "Sync" the motor to the circuit board and that will be 200 bucks + parts thank you...DANG, he said you are better off buying a new one.....so for the heck of it I looked at my Camping World receipt and I forgot I bought a 3 year Extended warranty for it YEAH BABY AND I get the newer version of the Tailgater..So FYI Gang if you try to fix it yourself AAHHH ya can't
I was a big fan of King Controls Tailgater till last month. We have two antennas the older white cube and the newer gray King Tailgater, both Dish NW specific. We were at a CG where I owned the southern sky. The older white Tailgater would find all three satellites, 100, 119, and 129. On the system info screen all three were green. When I would turn to a channel that I knew was HD on 129, it would always downgrade to SD back to 119. I understand these pretty well so I did some troubleshooting with no luck. Remember I also have the newer gray one, that was working perfectly. So I called King Controls and explained my problem, the canned response was the cable, no it is a new cable. Then it was my connection, no because the gray Tailgater works fine with both outside connections. I asked if I could bring in, and the smart ass tech told me it would be cheaper to but a new one rather than attempt repairs that would start at around $200 plus parts. He checked the serial number and found that it was so old, ya like 3 years! I have lost all my respect to King Controls.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote