Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Black Tank Troubles

Having an experence with our Black Tank I've never come across. After we setup for the 4th of July Holiday with empty tanks I was flushing the toilet and heard the sounds made when something is filling up, sure enought I observed the water inside the piping filling the tube. I ran a snake down the pipe and cleared what I thought was an obstruction, all was good until the evening when the toilet " Burbed " and it was back to square one again. I used the black water flush and don't seem to be encountering problems there but now to be on the safe side I'm finding myself emptying the tank daily !! Usually can go 3-4 days without emptying, any ideas

Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It sounds like you have a pile of old poop and paper accumulated in your tank. Most of us dump about once every two weeks. It's very important to have a lot of water in the tank and not dump anymore than necessary otherwise the more solid material will become solid. We also use a product called "Happy Camper" and Scott RV toilet paper along with lots of water to try and mitigate any problems. Using the black tank flush for a long time, filling the tank completely and or using a back flush attached to the sewer outlet are some of the ways folks have used to try and free up the accumulation.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John, if it is a case of the Pyramid build up the only thing you can do is fill that tank and let it soak for a while, using the campground shower and toilet facilities. Also dump some sort of septic tank additive down the stool and let it sit as I said above. The tank flush does not always work if you are doing it once or twice when you dump. I usually rinse ours until the water runs clear and no paper or chunks some out. I've got a clear extension on my dump pipe to make sure this clear water run is happening. IF it continues after this you may have to take it to a dealer to have the tank replaced but they do not like to do that especially if they know that the tank has a buildup in it! Good luck and keep us informed as to what you find out or if you get it cleared out.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
try filling the tank through the toilet with a hose, with a hand sprayer, dumping and then repeating.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Actually been real good as far ensuring liquids are left in the tanks in order not to incounter the dreaded "Pyramid". Once I dump I run the inline flusher with the valve closed in order to stir thing around then dump again. I also have the clear elbow in order to watch just what I'm flushing out. Once I've finished flushing I close the valve and add some water and tank additive. This has worked over the years it's just this issue has raised it's ugly head this time out.
Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Had that problem on our old unit and ended up getting an RV wand that attaches to our garden hose and has a sprayer on the other end. Opened the tap up to get full pressure and put the want down the toilet and sprayed all around as much as I could. Drained the tank and repeated a number of times. Had lots of sludge coming out so I must of had a build up. Worked fine after and since have increased the amount of water we use with each flush.
Another possibility is a plugged roof vent not allowing air in the tank which would hamper a nice smooth flush.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Koerb,

Do you have the tank flusher hooked up? It so, do you have a shut off on that hose? With the hosed charged ? The reason I ask, as I have a similar problem. I dump the tank and have never had any problems. One day went to flush the toilet and it burped. OH FULL TANK, but how, just dumped the day before. Turned out the valve I was using as a shut off failed and was slowly leaking filling up the tank. Now I turn off at the post....
Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have never tried it, but I have read it on this forum and a buddy of mine swears by it.....he dumps a bag or two of ice into the black tank just before he hits the road on a travel day. He believes that the ice bangs around inside the tank and cleans things up as it melts.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There was a pile in our Monty's black tank I discovered the first time taking it out after purchase. A friend told me about the ice & dishwasher trick. Put a cup of dishwasher powder in, dump at least ten pounds of ice cubes in, fill with several gallons of water and then drive down the road for a couple hundred miles or so. The ice cubes break up dried solids and the dishwasher soap finishes them off. Dump and then flush really well. Worked great.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

I have never tried it, but I have read it on this forum and a buddy of mine swears by it.....he dumps a bag or two of ice into the black tank just before he hits the road on a travel day. He believes that the ice bangs around inside the tank and cleans things up as it melts.
It works! But I prefer reaching deep into tank with a tooth brush! Call me crazy... Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Thetford makes a product called tissue digester safe for tank and system.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Right before we leave the house, we'll dump all the ice from the house refrigerator into the toilet along with five gallons of water. The ice bangs around the tank and knocks things loose. When we get to our destination, I'll flush the tank. That and using plenty of water when we flush keeps the tank functioning well.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Check your black tank vent,make sure it's not plugged(mud doppers,etc)
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
Ozark Dave
Established Member

M.O.C. #17907
We recently had the toilet buildup issue. Water would fill the bowl even though the tank would fill and flush from outside. The dealer had to clean out the black tank and suggested we not put any toilet paper down the toilet. Use a trash bag for TP. Now doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Ozark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Kind of depends on the paper you use. Several plumbers have told me that certain tissue clogging pipes and septic systems is a major part of their income so their glad they advertise and folks buy it. You can just imagine what happens when it gets in a camper's system.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
Ozark Dave
Established Member

M.O.C. #17907
What kind of TP do you recommend? We've been using the Camco brand sold at Walmart.
Ozark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote