Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
jrabbit
Established Member

M.O.C. #12435
improvements to front closet?

does anyone have any suggestions for putting shelves in the bedroom closet at the front cap? It is an odd shape, so all I can imagine is vertical supports with shelves cut to the different dimensions ...

what materials have you used? I don't like any of the plastic storage solutions I have seen.

thanks!

jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Looking forward to some replies on this. I'm currently in the "trying to come up with something" stage on this one myself.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
OK what I did was to take a piece of cardboard and make a template of the openings then cut a 1/2" piece of plywood that size. I made this in two pieces one for each size. I then bought some legs at Home Depot, four for each piece and screwed them to the plywood. You can use any length legs. I used ones that would make the shelf to be right at the bottom of the clothes. I have had these for 2 years now and they work great.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don-- Do you have a pictures of your shelving project? Sure would like to see them if you do!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Guys,
I also added a few shelves (on the left side of the closet) I built a frame out of 2x2 that sits on top of the ledge (step up) and put 1/4" luan (stained to match) over it. So basically, the 2x2 frame covered with luan is flush with the outside edge of the ledge. Then I screwed vertical, wire shelf uprights to each side and then used shelf brackets and wire shelving. Now, being that the shelving is only on the left side of the closet and ends just shy of half way towards the right, I added an "end" out of stained luan to keep stuff on the shelves from sliding off (towards the middle of the closet) The nice part of this shelving is that you now have the space behind the 2x2 frame on the ledge that we store a small electric heater, etc. I know this is hard to visualize but we love the shelves. We have always wanted more dresser space and now this makes up for it. Oh, by the way, we have 2 platstic bins with lids stacked on the floor under the shelving that come up the top of the ledge, which is where the first shelf starts.

trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
jrabbit
Established Member

M.O.C. #12435
I reorganized my closet last week. I think I need built-ins, but this will do as temporary solution. I used a product called "Neat Idea Cubes". They are wire panels sold in many stores under different names for shelving. Photos on my blog (and some other minor improvements):

http://pjamz5.wordpress.com/2012/06/...vements-small/
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote