Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #21
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I just received the rvcam (voyager) semi wireless system that Rich mentions above. I haven't installed it yet, but rvcam says it works well. It's wired from the camera to a trasmitter that mounts on the front cap of the 5er. It performs a straight line connection to the monitor on your dash or front windshield. I am thinking of mounting the transmitter on the pin box to further reduce the transmission distance. Since I have a short bed, the transmission should be less than 10'.

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
BrokenElbow - rethink mounting the transmitter on the pin box. The metal ground plane might interfere. Just my opinion.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #23
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I just got done fishing the wire underneath the Monty. What a job! Sadly, I don't have a rear cap on my Mountaineer so the wires are going to stay exposed on the back end.

My knees found every rock in the driveway underneath the camper; I borrowed my neighbor's tiling kneepads so now I can laugh at those rocks (ha, ha, ha!). I quit counting bumps on the head after twenty.

OUCH!

After an adult beverage, it's off to the hardware store for wire ties, wire clips, RTV, and some extra hookup wire (the power connections ought to be on the monitor end of the wiring harness, but they're not, and I wasn't ready for that).

I hope to get this finished by suppertime. I still have eight fingernails left...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #24
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
When I'm done I'm going to head over to the Bi-Lo in Trenton and back up all over the place...
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #25
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
GREAT JOB PAT. I always admired Gals that weren't afraid to get their hands dirty. My son has a Springdale TT that did not have a rear cap either, but was able to snake the coax up the back side between the insulation to the rear tail light and then up to the marker lights for the camera install. Leave yourself enough cable coiled under the rear in case you want to attempt it someday. Love to see pictures when your done.

Enjoy.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #26
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Krusher,

I'll have to bathe first... oh, photos of the installation! Only kidding!

I may post some photos when I'm finished, but it's pretty intimidating to do that with all the great how-to photos posted here!

Oh well, back from the hardware store. Off to work, blondie!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #27
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

BrokenElbow - rethink mounting the transmitter on the pin box. The metal ground plane might interfere. Just my opinion.
Thanks, I will definitely look at that.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Done! Thanks to all for the suggestions and to Krusher for the encouragement. And I still have seven fingernails left!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Ken Ralston
Established Member

M.O.C. #10932
Pat curious on what camera and equipment you needed and ordered for this job. Was there any unforseen trouble treading from the center light to the underside outside the rocks and knots.
Ken Ralston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #30
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I bought a no-name system on eBay from leviathan_holdings for $220 plus an extra $25 for a 16-foot extension cable. I am pleased with it. It functions as a back-up camera and rear-view mirror. It needs no control box; the wire goes directly from the camera through a harness to the monitor. The setup worked well in that the harness sits right underneath the rear seats in my crew cab.

I routed the cable from the camera to the underbelly on the exterior of the Monty, down the right side of the rear panel. My Mountaineer has no end cap so I did not try to hide the wire.

I didn't need to support the wire underneath the trailer; it sat on the plastic panels that cover pretty much the length of the Monty. I had to undo it in several places to snake the wire; hidden metal braces in several places were tight against the plastic, and that required some extra effort. Consider obstacles when you buy your wire; mine went diagonally from the rear to the center of the front of the trailer, plus a couple of obstacles, and I had just enough, even though I'd bought some extra.

I did not install a fancy connector, so my wire from the trailer passes through a vent in the back of the cab to the truck bed. One of these days I'll install a connector, but for now the loose wire from the truck sits in the toolbox in the bed.

Once I figured out how to turn the volume down on the monitor, I was very satisfied with the performance of the unit (road noise was driving me crazy).
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #31
Ken Ralston
Established Member

M.O.C. #10932
Thanks Pat I guess I am a copycat but I decided to try this one too. From whatI have read it doesn't seem much different from the pricier ones but I decided I have blown more money and got less so i will try them. I do love the fact of the cables and I order the extention between the 5er and TV. Thanks again for the help and the post. Kb
Ken Ralston is offline   Reply With Quote