Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Gas range replacement......maybe

Toying with the idea of a 20" freestanding range to replace the piece of junk we have. (stove is actually OK, oven junk) Something like this. Anyone done this? This particular make comes set up for natural gas, but is convertible to propane. Opinions?

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Does this require 120v to operate the electronic ignition?
8.1al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Does this require 120v to operate the electronic ignition?
Most likely...also the clock/timer and oven light too. No problem for us though, as we don't boondock any.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Seems like a good idea
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
would it stick out past the counter to far?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Technically, there's nothing wrong with swapping out with this type of range, just know what you are losing by doing this. The only thing I can think of is not having it run on 12v for boondocking purposes. Maybe you can find a way to get an inverter to connect to, otherwise don't use the range when you need to boondock. Converting it to propane is a good idea to minimize having to provide another fuel source to use your rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
What I've seen under the oven there's a maze of wires, pipes, and gas lines to deal with. Should be interesting to see what you are able to do with all those obstetrical. Best of luck!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That's nice. Sue (and I) love the gas, but hates to have to take it all apart to clean it. Back at the Casa we have a glass-top electric, easy to clean. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to change it out, if the measurements agree. Just get a small inverter and hook it up permanently like Art suggested.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I think it is a great idea. Won't be a plug and play, but with some plumbing, electrical, and cabinetry skills, it looks doable to me. Would be great to see pictures of beginning, progress, and finished project.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Art,
We have a gas range at home with ignitors that require 110v. If we have a power outage in the stick house, we just use a lighter when the power is out. So if you're boondocking without the inverter, the stove will work just fine but you will have to light it with a match instead of using the electronic ignitor. The 110v is handy but not necessary.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Brown Stove Works makes several models. Would love self cleaning, but haven't found one yet. If ours was not against the wall (fridge) on one side, I would consider trying to adapt for the 24" models.

I don't anticipate using an inverter, but that could be easily done. Like someone mentioned, there's lots of wires and some water lines under there, and I'll have to spend a little time planning where to route those.

One of our neighbors (Montana fifth wheel) was telling me how bad their oven is, and got me to researching the idea. I was giving out cookies DW and I had cooked in the kitchen at the hotel; this fellow thought we had cooked them in our oven. (we cooked 14 dozen cookies) I got to thinking how long it took DW to cook cornbread for Thanksgiving dressing, and how unevenly it bakes everything. She is all for it, wanting me to order the range yesterday.....so it might get done!

I think the dimensions will put it flush with the cabinet just like the one we have now. I will go physically measure one at Home Depot before I start ripping stuff out though!