Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Need a suggestion, which way??

On the final leg of the southbound ride to the RGV...was thinking of dropping off I 10 at Winnie and taking the ferry at Galveston/Bolivar Peninsula...I would like to skirt the Big city and try the roundabout...but.. I find the maze of routes out of there take me up and back toward the city (route 6..)I was looking at route 35 s/b from Alvin to 71 to 111 and getting on I59 at Edna....or staying on 35 and following it to I77.. anyone done that route??? thx

OR....is there a route that goes down the Island that I can follow, there is an FM road there but I wonder if this is a good way to go//

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We have done the Winnie to Galveston to RT 6. Nice ride on a Sunday morning. We have also done the Edna route but I don't remember exactly which roads we took. I HATE Houston. I have tried every way around I can think of I don't like any of them. The best way IMHO is right through Houston on I 10 to 77S to 59 to 281. You avoid worrying about exits and merging traffic.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Thats the same conclusion I formed..but I dont consider myself well enough informed to do it without asking for advice...thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don, Joyce and the Bear,

I do not know about 124 down to High Island as I have not been on that road since Ike. However, 87 to the Boliver ferry is good. Two lanes, but still plenty of room. You will have no problem at the ferry. They accommodate 18 wheelers and RV's of every size. It is a free ferry. From there, I personally would take the "Blue Water Highway." So from the ferry continue up ferry road through the traffic light (two of them) to Seawall Blvd. Seawall Blvd will be stop and go with some traffic lights, but really not that bad and it is four lanes with two in each direction. Continuing down the Seawall Blvd you will just continue onto FM 3005, San Luis Pass Road, and the Blue Water Highway. All of those run consecutively with no turns once you are on Seawall Blvd. There will be a slight toll at the San Luis Pass bridge, but not much. Cars by themselves are $2. I forgot what I paid with the 3400RL and a 1 ton. You may be able to look that up on the Internet.

Once you get near Freeport you will pick up highwy 332 and follow it over to Highway 36 and then to 35S. Pretty easy to see on the Google Maps.

As another way, follow I-10 over to Highway 146S. This will take you through Baytown and over a pretty high bridge. I have done it in both the 3400RL and the MH (SOB), and I have never had a problem with winds or climbing. The 3400Rl was pulled by an F350 6.0 Diesel. Continuing South on 146 will take you all the way to Galveston. Be WARNED, there is a 13'7" underpass you will go through. There is a light sytem there that if it is blinking, you are to high. I don't think you will have a problem. Have you measured your height? There is a turn-around before you enter into the underpass. You will merge into I-45 which will take you into Galveston. You would want to take the 61st St Exit, turn right (Stay in second lane from right to make the turn easier) and follow 61st St over to Seawall Blvd. Then Turn right and you are again your way over the Blue Water Highway.

Both of these ways are more scenic then any of the ways through or around Houston.

If you are specifically looking to go via Highway 35 out of Alvin, then off the Bolivar Ferry you would take I-45N, across the Galveston Bridge, and take the Highway 6N exit. Highway 6 would take you directly to Highway 35.

Or, if you take the Highway 146 way then I would suggest picking up Highway 96 just south of Kemah. It will take you over to I-45S, then just a few miles down on I-45 you would pick up Highway 517W(sometimes shown on the map as "Dickinson Rd") in Dickinson, TX. That will take you over to Alvin onto Highway 35S. You could also take FM-646 South of Kemah all the way to FM-517W. Hwy-96 is a nicer road.

In Texas, going from point A to point B can be done in many different directions, most of the time. The road are not to bad. Blue Water Highway may seem narrow with no shoulder, but I never had a problem.

I live in Texas City. If you stop anywhere within a 20-30 mile radius, give a holler and coffee is on me.

Edited: The quickest way is I-10 through Houston to I-59S, but try and do it between 9-11 a.m. or 1 and 3 p.m. for less traffic. Even then traffic can be thick.

Also, if you want to avoid Baytown if you decide to go Highway 146 I think "The Grand Parkway" Highway 99 is complete around Baytown. It picks up 146Bus South of Baytown and is a short jump to Highway 146S across the bridge. Eventually, Highway 99 will be the furthermost outer loop around the metropolis area.

If you have a specific question about a route, holler. We use Highway 35S to go to Corpus Christi whenever we venture that way.

Edit the Edit:
p.s., If you want to stop and explore the Galveston area, there is a State Park on the FM-3005 route that would make a good jumping off point.

If you want to spend a month or so, Green Caye in Dickinson Texas is nice at $370-400 a month including Electricity. But there are many more in the area.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Thank You Waynem for a wonderfully complete reply and thank you for the time and research...I am going to save this and try and print it so we can use it in the truck.......
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! The research was easy. Living in this area since 1984, riding all over the area on a motorcycle with an MC, and traveling in the 3400Rl and now SOB, we have seen just about all the roads. Do not be afraid to venture off the interstates when you get into Texas. 99.9% of all the US-(designated) highways are good to travel on.

If there is any specific area around here that you are interested in, give a holler. Be glad to help. We go and come as we please. Typically this time of year it is nice to be here with "moderate" temperatures. Some Christmases we have the AC on, and some we have the heat on. That's the nice thing about Texas. If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes. If you get a chance, check out the area. It may be an alternative to "The Valley."

What time frame are you looking at to travel to the RGV?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We came thru Houston on I10 when we came south in 2007. There ain't no way I would choose all those backroads over I10....and I hate Houston.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, they are not exactly "back roads." They are well paved and maintained. There are some traffic light stops, but the traffic is not near as bad as going through Downtown Houston on I-45, i-10, I-59.

FOLLOW UP to earlier post:

DW and I took a ride out to see what "The Grand Parkway" (Highway 99) was like, since it is new. First, we saw a sign when traveling it that stated "Tolls in effect beginning Nov 1." Well, they just don't have any toll booths up so it's a free ride at the present. Don't know if it is a money crunch thing, or what the hold-up is. However:

Highway 99 can be picked up off of I-10, 1 mile West of the Highway 3180 exit. I mention highway 3180 because if one does not want to pay the $4.00 toll when it becomes effective, 3180 can be taken to Fisher Rd (now Fisher Road is a back road) over to 99.

Back to "The Grand Parkway." (Highway 99) This is a 4 lane highway for 80 to 90 percent of the 14 mile ride to Highway 146 Bus. Then 146 bus is 2 miles to 146s. Highway 146s is 4 lanes all the way to I-45. Remember that the traveler originally asked about the Boliver Ferry. Highway 146 is an alternative to the Boliver ferry, and personally I would prefer to travel it then go down from Winnie and take the ferry. So once a person is on Hwy-99 they make 3 turns and they are on their way down the "Blue Water Highway." Those are not "back roads." Yes, there are some traffic lights, but they are really not all that bad. It gives one time to stop and smell the flowers, and it is a lot less stressful than freeway driving through Houston. I live in the area, so Houston traffic does not mean to much to me. I just don't like to get into the traffic jams caused by accidents or a disablement.

For anyone driving in Texas that does not know it, if you are on a highway that has double lanes or more in each direction, if you see an emergency vehicle with its lights on, you are required to do one of two things. Move over if it is safe to do so, and maintain speed. Or, if you cannot move over, slow down to 20 mph under the posted speed limit. So for Houston at 65 mph, you would be requried to slow down to 45 mph, and accordingly for any other speed limit.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have done most of that route WayneM recommends and I agree completely with his recommendation. That route is far, far better and easier than navigating Houston. If you need a place to overnight, the Jamaica Beach RV Resort is about 11 or 12 miles south of Galveston, on Galveston Island, and on that route. We spent two months there a couple of years ago.

As Wayne said, nearly all of the US highways are good in Texas. Also, many of the FM (Farm to Market) roads are towable but I'd suggest checking with locals first.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Great stuff...noted for the return ride...I enjoyt doing the back roads when I can...meet nicer people and see everything....thanks again..