Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
JT Stabilizer tips

Does anyone who has installed JT Strongarm stabilizers on their Montana have any helpful hints before I make a mess of it.
lcarter and thanks,

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Using or installing? If installing the very first thing you need to purchase is a step drill and the second is a tap. The "self tapping" bolts they send aren't. It will just make the whole job easier. If after you drill the required holes you find that you can actually reach the inside of the hole then use a bolt and nylock nut. In the front you use the bolts and nuts and the oval plates inside and out. Enjoy...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Have a good drill bit and lots of muscle with 3 hrs to spare. Not an easy job but worth it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Get a 1/2" tap. Those self tapping bolts they include in the kit are difficult at best to use. I ruined a 2 or 3 before giving up and getting an inexpensive tap set (tap, T handle, drill bit in a packaged set) at Lowe's.
Not really too difficult. Just follow instructions and measure carefully. Hard part is drilling while lying on your back with the hot metal falling on your arms.
Another potential problem may be finding something to attach the middle brackets in the rear with the enclosed underbelly. I followed someone else's advice from here and attached a 2"x3" square tube across the rear, attaching it to the frame on each side. Then I attached the JT mounting brackets to the sq. tube. Don't remember who it was now, but they gave specific dimensions and photos of how they did it. But others found a place under the belly enclosure to attach.

As for using, again just follow the set up instructions. When you think they are set, try to shake each one. If it rattles, it is not tight and you need to get more pressure on it. Pretty easy.
I keep a mini bungee, wrapped twice around the bar and the ends crimped together, at each T handle. When I loosen the T handles for travel, I lift the bungee over the T handle to keep it from backing off and falling out. That way I don't have to tighten then for travel and remember to loosen them before lowering the jacks and stabilizers.
And when you get ready to raise the jacks for travel, don't forget to loosen the T handles first. Blows the fuse every time.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
When they are installed and in operation and the landing gear is all down and everything has been tightened. Bump the front landing gear switch and it really takes the slop out of the whole unit.We love ours!!
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Sorry, I meant installation. Thanks for the setup tips as well. I have the front side to side stabilizers done. How did you locate the beams going front to back. Just start where the springs attach and move forward? Did you have to drop the plastic to decide where the holes are to be drilled?
Thanks for your help
lcarter
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I did not drop the plastic. I was able to determine where the edge of the I beam was without doing so and just drilled right thru it. Probably would have been better to trim the plastic back so the metal bracket could mount directly to the beam. But mine works fine as is.

Here is are some photos of the rear cross bar I installed.
I had a piece of 2"x2"x1/8" sq tubing on hand and a chop saw so that made it easy. Length is from edge to edge of the side frame members. Someone else posted that they went to a metal fab shop and had a 2"x3" tube cut. The 3" side would give more room for the two bolts. And as I mentioned, others found metal somewhere under the belly cover. But looking at dropping the cover, I thought the beam was easier.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks.... Just drilling through the cover into the beam worked well. I am almost done. Waiting on a piece of 2" x 2" 1/4 thick for the cross member to use on the back. It has turned out not to be too difficult once you drill the first few holes. Thanks for all the help.

We are heading out to South Texas in a couple of months for the winter. I am looking forward to trying the stabilizers out in the Gulf Coast wind.

Again Thanks!
lcarter
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
A few of us also added a pair of scissors jacks just in front of the wheels as a bit of frame support. If you bounce on the living room floor near the kitchen you can get the whole rig bouncing even with the JT's down hard. The extra scissors jacks take the flex out of the frame in the center and help remove bounce...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
I finally finished the the JTs today. Had to wait a couple of days for a piece of steel for my rear cross member. I took my time. I managed too break several drill bits so I helped the local economy a little. Can't wait to try them out.

Exnavydiver, I like the suggestion of the scissors jacks in front of the tires. I may have to investigate those.
Thanks for all the help!
lcarter