Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
ELECTRONIC IGNITION FOR OVEN/STOVE

Okay, so I thought I would start a new thread regarding this topic because I have a Magic Chef stove/oven (read on). What got me to thinking about doing this mod was a few posts. First was Mel's post and then bobsals reply and then finally this link to RV.Net. This looked like a worthwhile and doable project so I went out and bought all the necessary parts and have been "brainstorming" some mounting issues. Just when I thought I had every worked out in my mind I took all of the components out to the rig and placed the spark generator module underneath the burner top where it would be mounted and discovered that the top would not close all the way because the module is too tall.

In the Atwood stove/oven, like bobsals has, the module mounts lower and next to the burner/oven control manifold. On the Magic Chef stove/oven like what we have in our rig, the spark generator will need to be mounted sitting on top of the manifold because of the way everything is laid out which just doesn't allow the clearance for the top to close all the way. Fortunately, I had not cut or enlarged any holes yet.

But all is not lost. I have been doing some looking around on the "inter web" and think I have found something that will work with our stove/oven. It is basically the same as the Charbroil module that I initially bought and bobsals used in his mod, but this one uses a "AAA" battery and only has 2 outlets instead of 4. This module is not as tall and should fit in the available space. Two outlets are fine because the Magic Chef only uses one electrode for the 3 stove burners so the remaining outlet can be used for adding the electrode for the oven pilot. Here is a link to the spark generator I am now looking at: AAA Spark Generator. I am going to check my local Wally World tomorrow and if they don't have one will order one on line.

If all else fails I have found a "Rotary Piezo Spark Generator/Igniter" with 2 outlets that should be a direct replacement for the current single outlet "bam, bam, bam" igniter currently installed. I will keep all of you posted on the outcome.

Jack

Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Jack, I hope that works, I have been going through the same thing that you have. Keep us posted about what you find out.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Jack, good find. To be honest, at the time I converted mine, I hadn't even thought that there might be other brands of stove/ovens for RV's. Hope the AAA spark generator works out. Also, besides the Atwood and Magic Chef, are there any other makes out there in our units?
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Well, no joy on the electric sparker at Wal-Mart so I ordered on e on line. Of course it is out of stock at the site I ordered from and they say it will ship in 1-2 weeks. I saw dimensions for it somewhere while I was "surfing" and it is suppose to be 30MM tall which equates to about 1 1/4 inches so I think it will fit. Just waiting for it to arrive so I can check it out first hand. More to follow.

Jack