Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Winegard Direct TV Slimline owners

Those of you with DVR's, do you have two coax's coming to your DVR?
I was told on another Forum that I had to have two to the receiver if I had a DVR. I just don't now, didn't think so. I asked for DRV receivers when they installed them. There was only one coax with the portable dish.
Thanks.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ozz, Direct requires two cables from dish to receiver. One to record and one to watch. I had to get another cable run for mine. There is something called SWM (single wire maintenance?), but I am not sure how that works. Exnavydiver should be able to explain it as that is how he went, I believe.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are the man! Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
My understanding is that the HR24 DVR's only require 1 cable run, but all other HR DVR's require 2 cable runs. I hope that is right as I just purchased the HR24 for the RV but have not installed it yet. I hope someone knows the answer that has already been through the install.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am running my extra line now, I have it run from the dish, inside the electrical area, down the inside of that wall, under the steps, out by the convenience center, then down under the Monte, all the way back, following the gas line, then up the slide access area where the wires feed at the left corner where the cover is. Then into the bottom drawer area. Now I have to pull the fireplace and feed the cable up the inside wall to the back of the TV area.
I hope I didn't do all this work for no reason, I killed an entire day, cut a finger and crawled on my back the length of the trailer.
I want it to be right for when I get the installer back out, I don't want any excuses as to why he can't tune everything.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
OZZ, have you checked with Direct TV about the box for your RV. They where out today to our stick built. We where switching from Dish to Direct because Verizon has a bundle package that would have saved us $50.00 a month. Direct installer told us to get Direct to the RV I had to take out the spliter in the RV that Direct can not go around them... whatever that means. and if I took out the spliter when I was in a campground that had cable I could no longer get cable in the RV. We went round and round, I have the auto winegaurd which is programed for direct or dish and he just blew it off. Nope won't work. Then he calls the supervisor who told me Direct will not install or give you a box for the RV unless you stay in one place for six months. We tried to explain that with Dish we had a extra reciever box and it stayed in the RV and work just fine. He said they have a different system that will work with the spliter. Hope you have better luck than we did getting it going. Tried to tell them we see numerous dish and direct tv on RV's and the auto satellite is set for one or the other...but he says the only way was a direct line into the RV and we had to use thier Direct TV dish. Like we said Good Luck!!!!!! We are obviously staying with Dish and forget the $50.00 not worth the frustration.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

OZZ, have you checked with Direct TV about the box for your RV. They where out today to our stick built. We where switching from Dish to Direct because Verizon has a bundle package that would have saved us $50.00 a month. Direct installer told us to get Direct to the RV I had to take out the splitter in the RV that Direct can not go around them... whatever that means. and if I took out the splitter when I was in a campground that had cable I could no longer get cable in the RV. We went round and round, I have the auto winegaurd which is programed for direct or dish and he just blew it off. Nope won't work. Then he calls the supervisor who told me Direct will not install or give you a box for the RV unless you stay in one place for six months. We tried to explain that with Dish we had a extra receiver box and it stayed in the RV and work just fine. He said they have a different system that will work with the splitter. Hope you have better luck than we did getting it going. Tried to tell them we see numerous dish and direct TV on RV's and the auto satellite is set for one or the other...but he says the only way was a direct line into the RV and we had to use their Direct TV dish. Like we said Good Luck!!!!!! We are obviously staying with Dish and forget the $50.00 not worth the frustration.
Oh, so sorry for the frustration.
I understand that the old Dome-dish we had would work with Direct TV, but would not get HD. The Cable in RV parks works with the system we have in the trailers, it just by-passes their system (Direct TV) As far as staying in one place; ???? Sounds Bogus.
I think it is correct that you have to use their Direct TV dish: for HD in Direct TV, the SK-3005 Slimline auto-rooftop dish, or a portable dish is required. I think maybe the splitter is referring to using one receiver for two TV's, won't work...I think.
I think you and the Direct TV people were just not communicating, as many members have the system and it seems to work good.
(I hope)
Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
That's what we said over and over today.... everyone has either dish or direct. Just could not get anywhere and then ended up with the supervisor call and his statement they could not install in any RV unless we stayed 6 months. We where not looking at HD... we are happy with regular if need be. We do have the portable and you code it to Direct or Dish. We showed the installer and he said nope will not work. Now why does camping world sell it and other members use it with Direct. Grrr.... Just could not get what we needed so time for the installer to hit the road!Good Luck.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Along those lines, we had the Winegard Movin view dish with the Direct TV 3 years ago when we traveled, BUT we had Direct TV in the house. We now have AT&T U-verse in the house, and Direct in the Monte.
I would make another call and ask whatever brain-deal Troll with the company you end up with, to explain the deal to you from a fresh perspective.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think the problem lies in the installer. Seems the actual DirecTV installers have their hands tied whereas CW and others aim to please, at least try to. When I had my HD wiring done, DirecTV said they did not do wiring in RV's, only in stationary homes. This might be part of the problem. I actually had to get an RV dealer to wire it, or do as OZZ is doing, not me.....I would contact an RV dealer and see what they can do for you. We have had ours for about three years with nary a problem, except with one or two receivers going bad, which DirecTV replaced free of charge. I've never heard of a dish that would pick up both DishTV and DirecTV as they use different sattelites and point in different directions. Maybe a special dome but not the dishes........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Actually at this point we have Dish it has worked for 3 years and will just continue to keep it. Verizon offered a savings monthly ($50.00) and we where going to switch. $600 a year would have been nice in our pocket but under the circumstances just not worth it since we can not seem to get an installer that knows what they are doing. He got out of the truck trying to find reasons the system would not work on the stick house and when the RV came into the picture it was down hill from there. 4 pm on Sunday he just did not want to work. They made the time we didn't.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
I have just installed DTV and rather than try and rewire the whole existing system to get the two channels I just put two new sockets out the side of the office slide underneath the TV. Cost me about $10 in parts, 2 x 6' antenna cables from Dollar Tree and a double socket plate from Radio Shack. I will try and get pictures later.

The new socket just slides in behind the slide seal. Two small holes on the outside and a small cut out of the inner lining under the cupboard on the inside.
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Ozz, the new Direct TV HD receivers only required 1 cable, we have it on the stick hopuse and use it in the RV, it is a DVR system that allows the other non-dvr box to watch what is recorded on the DVR, they are hooked togeather via a splitter. The antenna, which is a 17" slimline with a single LNB is between the two boxes. Ours works great. Talking to the installer he said that what we got is all the latest technology stuff and it made our 2 year old receiver obsolete. That receiver was to a 3 LNB dish that had 2 cables. Changed it all out a couple of months ago.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is so hard to keep up with what is new, changes are constant.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
They will have 3D out before I get around to HD in the RV. Haven't gotten this Winegard broken in yet.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote