Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Hwy.101

Hello everyone. Hope you all can help (as usual )

We are leaving Petaluma on Friday, and going north on 101.
Heading towards Crescent City and then into Oregon on 101.

What should we be aware of and where would you suggest staying?

Thanks for your help as always! Have a GREAT travel day for those traveling and for those at home....STAY SAFE!!!

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myna and Bob,
Willits is about one hundred miles from Petaluma and it has a nice KOA. Or at least it looked nice. We seldom stay at KOAs and we have not stayed there. On up the road is Garberville. At least one decent looking CG in the area. I believe that is the Benbow area and is very scenic. That is if you like magnificent Redwoods and a nice river.

On up the road at Myers Flat and the Weott area are located the Redwoods. Several commercial as well as State and Federal Parks. This is sort of the heart of the Redwoods. In this area is located the Avenue of the Giants which is a MUST do!

Just north of the Redwood area is Fortuna. A nice CG there but a bit pricey is the River Walk RV park. We usually stay there if it works out for us. By the way the little Victorian town of Ferndale is very near. Just a few more miles up the road is Eureka. Old town is a nice diversion. And do take in the Samoa House restaurant located on the island west of the city. It is an old lumber area.

North of Eureka you will be in some of the most scenic area in the state. Many state and commercial parks all along the road in that area. Steve and Vicki Reigle just did tha part of the country and may have some info posted on their "Postcards" blog. Or email or PM them for specific info.

Have a great time.... as if anyone has to tell you that!
Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
US 101 from Sonoma north is in bad shape, in my opinion, many "rough road" signs and they mean it. (just came up this week), Road also seems to be uneven over these areas making for many ups and downs and side ways movements. Slow down when you see these signs. Two of our cabinets came open, even with them being velcroed. This hasn't happened since leaving Alaska three years ago.

We stayed at the Riverwalk Resort in Fortuna. Dave and Teresa of dandt are working there this summer. Nice place and had a good dinner at the US's first organic brewery, at least that's what they say, (not a beer drinker so can't verify).

Hiouchi is a nice place outside the hustle of Crescent City, about 5 miles, thru the Jedediah Smith Redwood Forest. Very quaint and relaxing. You can park near the docks but it looks like slumville there, close to water and beach though.

In Crescent City, you must eat at the "Chartroom". Typical harbor restaurant with great seafood......BTW, they now have a Starbucks in the city also.........If that's your thing....

Have a great and safe trip......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Myna & Bob
Dennis & Mary Kay have good suggestions. We have stayed at the Benbow campground. Wasn't cheap but a nice park with a golf course and driving range. Enjoyed cocktails at the hotel. Worth the stop and an easy drive from Petaluma. The only hard part of that drive was confusion hill which has now been by-passed.

Save travels,
Ken & Marilyn
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I agree Benbow has a really nice RV park. There is a nice park in Arcata just north of Eureka can't remember the name but it at the turn off for HYW 299. Its on the west side of the freeway. If you are in the area of Trinidad at dinner time I recomend Larapens (sp). Its in an old house and the food is great, not cheap but really good.

Hyw 101 is a little rough in spots but well worth the trip.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Biggest issue if leaving this Friday...holiday w/e and most parks are full. 101 thru the redwoods/coast July and August are bussiest months. Park we work at in Fortuna.Riverwalk has one opening friday night and completely booked for Sat night. As far as prices go 40-50 is average until you get to Oregon and start using state park system. Safe travels. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We stayed at Chinook RV Park, Klamath, CA for 4 nights and took day trips to Crescent City and other areas, including the "Dunes" along the coast. We had traveled 101 from LA to Crescent City, then we split off and headed to I-5 so I could sleep when driving. However, we took Hwy 199 out of Crescent City, through Grants Pass. I called it an exciting ride in a 40 foot MH pulling a TOAD. Earlene called it "frighteningly scary." (Her words.) Chinook RV Park is a Passport America CG at $12.50 a night. More than paid for the gas to tour the area.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We stayed at Emerald Forest at Trinidad RV Resort at Trinidad, CA. It's a good base for exploring the area. Here's a picture of our site. This was back in May of this year. This picture does not do justice to the site. It's a pullthrough, also.

We have stoped at Betabel RV Resort several times over the years. It's on 101 at San Juan Bautista.

If you stop at Willits, you can stay at the RV Park at the Ridgewood Ranch, "Home of Seabiscuit" where Seabiscuit retired to. It was owned and run by Seabiscuit's owner and is the ranch featured in the movie. We stayed at their rv park several years ago with our 3295RK. As I recall, we fit ok but there was not an excess of room. But it was an easy walk to the ranch buildings to snoop around a bit. The logo is still on the stable shutters. At that time, roughly 2003, we were told they planned to open the ranch buildings for tours but I don't know if they ever did that. I don't know if this kind of history interests you but thought I'd mention it, just in case. That rv park on Ridgewood Ranch is named Golden Rule RV Park and it is south of Willits. The access road is the old US 101. I lived in Willits when about 2 years old. One of my sisters was born there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We were at Betabel Park last week. Nice and clean,good base to branch out and see the sights!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Thanks everyone! Your reputation preceeds you!! You came through as usual!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote