Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
screen room

We are researching detached screen rooms and thought this would be a great place to start. We have 2 cats and want something that has a floor in it so they can't escape. 10X10 would be a good size. It has to be portable, easy to assemble and lightweight. Any suggestions?

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Most of the "picnic type" screen room tents don't have a floor so you can put them up over a picnic table.

I think the best solution for you is to find a regular camping tent that has the most screened area in the doors and windows.

There are also totally enclosed pet runs that you can set up next to the trailer. I have seen some that are made of nylon netting, but can't seem to find any at the moment.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
There is a pet run for cats, the name escapes for for now. It worked very well for when our cat traveled with us. It was about 6 feet long and had a tower section at on end. It came with little hammocks he could lay in and little shade tarps. It folded down and was pretty easy to set up once you got the hang of it. He loved being in it as he could be out there when we were sitting outside. The problem with a tent sent up is alot of rv parks do not allow tents to be put on the lawns. Maybe a small childs type tent would work. This way it could be placed on the patio. But I have seen one rv parks that would not allow even the pet run on the patio.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Try this: www.kittywalk.com we have a 6 ft run that our cat loves to sit outside in. You will be amazed at what they have. BTW I am not affiliated with them in any way, just bought one of their products three years ago.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
yes we have researched the kittywalk and think it is a good thing too. However we also want a screen room with a floor so they can't try to crawl out . It will be a nice thing to have while parked in my sister-in-laws place that will probably have a lot of misquitoes at night. So, the question again is just for the screen room with a floor. We are looking at tents with floors right now. Just don't want to spend a fortune and don't want it to weigh a lot. So if anyone has a suggestion please let me know. thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Kittywalk Thats the one we had. It has a floor in it. It is mesh just like the sides. I believe it also comes with stakes to hold it down to the ground.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you are looking for something large like a 10x10 screen area, how about using a nylon tarp that is slightly larger than the bottom of screen room to create your floor. You might have to cut the tarp down to size and install new grommets that you can then bring up to enclose it against the screen room. I hope you know what I am talking about. But a concern might be durability using the typically screen material that is designed to keep bugs out. It might not be strong enough to keep your cats in.

I have seen several owners with those gazebo or lawn style Kitty walks and they are certainly more durable than screen material but I don't know if they'll keep bugs out. These are made of much stronger material and I would think some cats in a screen room could easily tear that open. They can be staked down to grass and dirt, but if they are on hard surfaces you could probably add a tarp on the bottom that is fastened to keep it together.

If you want very lightweight, I have seen and have used rectangular screens that us campers can put over our sleeping cots that keep the bugs off of us. Normally, we would tie the corners to the interior of a tent to create a cover and keep it off our bodies, but maybe you can create a PVC frame to hold up the screen material and still use a tarp for the floor and the cats can stay in that. I am not sure if you know what I am talking about, but if you need some help locating these screens, PM or email me and I will be glad to locate them for you. This would probably be an inexpensive solution. You could even sew them together to make whatever size you want.

Oh well, just some ideas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
The biggest problem with what you are looking for is that after it rains hard, it's no longer a floor..it becomes a bucket. I think you only have probably two options...you can get what is called a "floor liner" (not to be confused with a floor saver), which is essentially a ground cloth. This doesn't allow for those cats to sneak out under the screen room tho'. You second...and quite probably expensive...choice is to go to a boat cover maker, with your materials, and have them install zippers. You would need to set up the screen room, with a floor liner under it...then trace the outline with welder's chalk onto the floor liner. Canvas guy could then stich zipper(s) for you. It would work fine....just not sure of the cost. I had a new section of cover zippered for my boat...cost was $75, and it was fairly large. Hope this helps.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Joanie and Dave,
I may have a solution for you. Cost of about 20-30 bucks plus whatever screen room you use. Hopefully I make sense with this.

Set up your screen room. Get 4 stix of 3/4" or 1" electrical pvc conduit (I chose that for the gray color...white pvc is ok too). Get a grommet tool, and install 4 or 5 grommets around the bottom "lip" of the screen room. Drill holes in the pvc to match up with the grommets...holes need to be large enough to run tent stakes thru the holes. Now, the tent stakes...walmart,etc sell the ones that have a little plastic piece on top, and the stakes are shaped like large nails. These are pretty cheap. So, if you lay the pvc on top of that lip, then run the tent stakes down thru them, you should have a more than adequate "seal" keeping the cats in. If you are worried about the corners, you can pick up pvc elbows that will give you a "solid" ring.
I hope this helps....seems like a cheap fix, that'll set up pretty quickly.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
mccarrie7

M.O.C. #7428
CampingWorld has what I think you're looking for. Here's the links: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-oroom/22860d
and
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...reen-room/2866
They can be weighted down with water type bags shown in their catalog but I can't find it on their website. You could use pvc pipe filled with sand also.

This is kind of spendy but maybe will give you some ideas.
mccarrie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally purchased a KittyWalk on eBay. I haven't received it yet, but it should serve the purpose of getting the cats outside. I do want a screen room eventually so I will keep all these good ideas. Thanks again all