Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Wa_Pilgrim
Established Member

M.O.C. #9951
Replacing the carpet & linoleum with tile

My carpet between the kitchen counter (3400) and the dining room table is a mess. Liquids from the counter, sink, etc. have spotted the carpet and will not come out. I would like to replace the linoleum in the kitchen and the carpet to and under the table with tile. Is this possible with the slide-outs? Help please, any ideas would be appreciated. Why don't you redesign the counter top facing the table and have a few inch back to it facing the carpet. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Wa_Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dave (exnavydiver) and Betsy (labmom) replaced their flooring in the kitchen and in front of the island counter with solid vinyl flooring. Maybe Dave will be along shortly to tell you more about it. It looks very nice.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Wa_Pilgrim
Established Member

M.O.C. #9951
Thanks for replying. Did you also do the lip on the slide out for the fridge and stove? It gets so much grease and splatter from the stove. What kind of vinyl flooring did you use? And did you do the work yourself?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Why don't you come down to Quartzsite the third week of January? There will be at least two rigs with owner installed flooring and one of the rumored activities will be installing wood flooring in yet another rig. And it is likely much warmer there than WA.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Wa_Pilgrim
Established Member

M.O.C. #9951
Oh how I'd love to come to Arizona. My hubby won't go south; he doesn't want to leave our grandchild. We are expecting another one in March. Could you take pictures for me and instructions? Thanks for replying
Old 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
I'll second that wish we could be in Arizona. Also i would sure like to see pic's of a total flor replacement if one is done. If anyone get a lot of picture, PM me and i will give you my E mail address to download them to.

Thank You
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Tile will add a pretty good bit of weight.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I don't know if tile is a good choice as it won't flex. When we took our 06 3000RK to Alaska the countertop cracked at sinks and both the door and fridge broke resulting in Montana replaceing both units. The laminate flooring is cheap and as it is free floating it does give. I have replaced the floor on our 99 and the 06 Montana only take about a day to do. I dohave pictures if you wish
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Sorry, I missed this post when it first came out, We did replace the carpet in front of the counter with vinyl. I had my former employer do the vinyl as my specialty was ceramic tile and I hated doing vinyl because I made way more money doing ceramic. The OEM vinyl is a perimeter glue vinyl, only glued around the edges. I would avoid ceramic at all costs, you would need to double the wood sub floor and that adds more weight. Putting tile down on the existing floor would be problematic because the floor as it is is pretty flexible and would start popping tile very shortly. Vinyl or the composite wood floors would be much better. We have a Big Sky and there wasn't any carpet by stove or fridge, but there was vinyl and wood trim. If you tear out the carpet there you will have to buy or make some wood trim for that area. As far as replacing the carpet on the slide I think that would be a bad idea also. Just reach down and lift the slide carpet up, the carpet covers all that stuff. Here is a link to my first post and slide show of the install LINK
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote