Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Kitchen floor replacement

I'm looking to replace the vinyl floor in my kitchen and have a question about installing under the slide out. There is about a 4" overhang on the slide out that I am not sure how to replace with the new floor. Suggestions and/or pictures would help.

I also want to replace the carpet in front of the dinning room table with vinyl flooring. Any suggestions on how to transition from floor to carpet in the middle of the slide out. Will that create any problems down the line?

Thanks for any and all the help. Rick

Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rick, check with OZZ. I know he replaced the vinyl.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We just came back from the rally at the factory. During the tour they showed that the kitchen floor ran all the way under the dining rm table. The reason was that the sheet came in one width and it was easier to lay it under everything instead of cutting it. You might want to check and see if it is under your carpet.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks Alan, yes it does run all the way across. We also found out that it runs under the carpet into the living room. I figure this is to help protect the floor under the carpet.

This afternoon, I pulled out the vinyl in the kitchen and will be replacing tomorrow with new stuff. Really turned out to be easer than I thought.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Rick, we just did the same thing to our 08 Big Sky 340RLQ. I spent ten years doing flooring, and discovered that all the Keystone vinyl is perimeter glued. This makes it easier to lay over an OSB floor which is pretty rough textured. If you are replacing yours then use a good filler on as much of the floor as you can reach and do a full surface glue down. A former employer of mine did our new floor and it looks great. If your 3400 has wood trim on the bottom of the kitchen slide and vinyl under the fridge and stove then pull the wood trim off the bottom of the slide. It is nailed on with 1 1/2 inch brads. Cut the old vinyl out as close to the trim and cabinets as you can. After it is all glued down use a 100 pound floor roller to roll the entire vinyl area. We folded back the dining room carpet and cut the old vinyl as close to the metal strip as we could. We also sanded and vacuumed every bit of dust and sawdust that we could find. Floor prep is the most important part of a good vinyl job. We put a standard vinyl transition strip between the living room carpet and the new vinyl. Here is a link to my vinyl upgrade. Good Luck... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Dave, thanks for the excellent slide show. The pictures really helped. We have the floor stripped and patched the floor where it was weak. Right now we have prepped the floor waiting to install the vinyl. Hopefully, the weather here will warm up this weekend so I can finish. Again, thanks for all the help. Rick