Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Project Completed

Well...
New television is installed. Used a handheld jig saw to cut the hole bigger, had to create a way to install stand onto TV because of course the holes did not match. New molding over the saw cuts. Looks pretty darn good. Now does anyone know...Will all TV's handle the impact of traveling down the road. Installed a Sharp Aquos 32" LCD TV. 900$ TV, but purchased on ebay for 445$ with shipping.
Always feels good to get a great deal. Dave and Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I would be anxious to know also, as I just installed the same TV in my 3295, just a week ago.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Photos please-- if possible!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Sorry Rondo, But Teresa says she doesn't know how to add photos. She said she tried but no dice. It was really no big deal to do & it came out looking pretty good (good thing for molding). Dave
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
zman08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6806
I put a 26" Sharp Aquos in our 2955 last summer and haven't had any problems so far.
zman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
I just installed a 26" LCD in our 2955 the last couple of weeks. It fit the opening perfect for its width, I am working on finishing out the 4-5" opening above the tv now. We will pull the Monty out of the garage this weekend for about a 100 mile trip. I don't expect any issues, but one never knows what to expect camping. Power surge last fall cost me (2)tvs, (1) microwave (bye-bye Apollo), (1) converter & X number of hours to repair all of this. Hope this trip goes better!!!

Happy Camping this season!
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
In my 2955 it is 31" from wall to edge of step wall. Thinking about getting a 31" TV, mount it on a piece of plywood or partical board, buy a hinge at OSH,mount hinge on step wall and board so I can swing the TV open and use the area for storage. Have not figured out how to secure the other side of board so it will not open while traveling. Any suggestions or help would be appreciate. Maybe I am just fantasizing. I would also have to cut away the trim to get the 31"

Lou
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I installed a 32" Aquos in our 2955. It's mounted on an articulating arm bolted to a 2 x 6. I chose to mount it over the hole rather than doing major mods to make the hole bigger. It clears the slides by a couple of inches when fully retracted, and I have a ton of new storage space behind it.

Mrs. Muddypaws made a quilted & padded bag. I put that over it and strap it to the wall with a very strong strap when we travel.

I have pictures but they are much too large to post here. If anybody is interested I'll photoshop them down to reasonable sizes and so on.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I bet a bunch of us 29xx Model owners would love to see the pictures. Most of the flat screen upgrades have been to 3400 style rigs which have a different cabinet and location.

Plus pictures are always good to look at! How about loading them to tinypic.com so you don't have to do a lot of resizing?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I took pictures 'kinda sorta' every step of the way. I'm hoping I will have time to find them all this weekend and throw together some sort of storyboard.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #11
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I installed my TV's this way. My Montana is similar to the 2955.

Go here: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=lambchop

It's easier to remove the top cabinet section & cut it on a table saw.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Go here to see the slideshow of my install.

Click on the image at any time to see the details of that step.

http://tinyurl.com/oc63pq

I did not detail the electrical portion of the install.

I replaced the Quest with a Sony 5 disc changer primarily because I wanted to use HDMI and it has an iPod port.

I have since then added a piece of trim on the bottom to hide the ugly parts. I got oak crown molding at Home Depot and finished it with Minwax Honey Oak, it’s a very good match. Believe it or not it's held in place with velco!

Things to be mindful of:

Long screws in the back of the upper reinforcement plate will go through bottom of the bathroom cabinet - take everythng out before you start drilling. I used nuts & bolts with washers in that location. All the other screws should end up in 2X2s around the edge of the cabinet and thus will not be a problem.

The Sony HT system is deeper than the Quest. Getting all the wires in was a test of patience. It’s held in place with double sided velcro strips because I didn't want to put screws through the bottom of it. The Quest speakers sound OK to me when driven by some honest watts.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a 32" Aquos and it rides facedown on our king bed very securely. Would not want it jiggling up and down on the support arm over the fireplace...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
The Peerless mount is rated at more than double the weight of the TV. It's very solid. When strapped in as shown the TV does not move at all. I think it's probably safer than the 70# Toshiba we took out and gave away.

I would worry more about it coming off the bed during a panic stop and taking out the mirrors. We're in California, the capitol of panic stops. I've locked up all 8 more than once and found what was on the bed now on the floor.

Cheers
MuddyPaws
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
MuddyPaws, I have a 4 inch foam topper with a non-slip comforter on a king bed. I have done panic stops and quicker-than-I-wanted-to turns and the 35# TV has not budged - ever - in two years of travel. I have already had to replace that 32" once due to a non-moving accident (don't ask my wife what happened - her perspective seems different than mine). I am very cautious that I don't have to go through that again with my insurance co.

I personally feel MUCH safer with that thing nestled down into the middle of that king bed than hanging on any arm. That, obviously is strictly my personal experience with my particular equipment. Another bed/comforter/TV setup might not make me feel nearly as comfortable.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote