Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Anyone Have One of These?

Does anyone have a backup camera like this or is this thing to CHEAP??......JB

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/...72&h=080401004

deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think you will find the distance from the rear of the trailer to your video receiver is too far for a good signal. Also the solid construction of the trailer also helps to block the signal.
If you used it on just your TV license plate bracket it works fine. A friend has one.
Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Same camera, another site C&P: [Perfect for cars, SUV's, trucks, RV's and for towing boats or campers] Not sure if it is the same camera, but I know some of the guys on one of the diesel forums I frequent have used one from wally world on their fivers.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've replied to topics on this subject before ... unless you get into the wireless systems that are several hundred dollars and I'm talking $500+ I believe you're wasting your time ... go wired. The cheap wireless ones do work marginally if you mount it to your trucks rear bumper as in hooking to a TT, but placing them on the rear window of your Monty to keep an eye on what's behind your rig seems to be just too far for the weak signal these cameras put out. Also the 2.5" screen is smaller than the early GPS screens. "RV Cams" is a good place to get a backup camera system. Good prices and fast delivery.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I mounted a wireless security that we had used at the house on the ladder of our 2008 300RK, in the compartment where the trash can is I mounted the reciver and ran the video cable up to the truck. I picked up a portable dvd player screen with a wideo in jack and mounted that in the truck between the seats. It works great.
I did try mounting the reciever in the truck.. It works but a lot of interference.. A little more work the other way but works much better. Nice to see what is behind you. But it does not reverse things. Watch people pass you on the right in the monitor. I did get used to that..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I got the identical camera along with our GSP when we bought it-- just haven't put it on yet! I think it will go on the license plate and not on the Tana! I'm sure it is not going to send the signal back to the monitor in the TV anyway! Maybe when I hit the lottery I'll put one that has sufficient power to send a good signal to the TV!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I guess I'll save my money. I thought it was a little to cheap to amount to anything. Maybe if I am good, Santa will bring me a better one....
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote