Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Nell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7257
Are toppers for slide-outs hard to install?

Hello All...I'm back with another question concerning the 2005 Montana fifth wheel 3670RL that we just recently purchased...
One of the slider awnings is torn and my husband wants to try to replace it himself...question is...how hard is it to install?
He would like to just replace the fabric with the elite one, which has something to do with metal reinforcement of some kind..but the lady at CW in Seffner told him that he would be better off buying the whole apparatus (roller, arms, etc.)...what do you think? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks..Nell

Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
We replaced our our dining slide topper last year. We got installation instructions from Dometic with an on-line request. It's a two person job to unroll it and slide in a cotter pin in each end to retain the spring tension. Its also finiky to then slide the awning out from one end but can be done. It was ripped along the front seam along the RV side and also at the rear of the slide along the rv side. It's held in by rubber piping glued into the fabric. Took the topper to an auto and boat top reupholsterer recommended by our local RV dealer and they stitched it for us (there was lots of spare fabric). The repair has held for over a year so far so here's hoping (the replacement units are expensive).

We installed two screws as recommended by dometic to hold it in place along the RV side that were not originally installed by Montana.

It's also very important to remember safety since you have to work from the roof and an elevated platform like a picnic table. It's a long way down!

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Nell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7257
To: Les and Julie...thank you very much for your input regarding the slide topper installation. You were helpful. Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you are not mechanical and handy, think hard on this, you can brake a hand with those springs. Ladder work as well, if you are up to it, that is another thing. We changed one on an old 22' TT, I dropped one end on Sue's head, took her to the ground...
She is still a little goofy.... Just kidding, Sue.
Just be careful.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I would go with Ozz's first thoughts on this one. I've dealt with too many springs/heard too many horror stories. I like saving money and trying to do things myself. However, you only have to hear one story of a vise-grip going through the side of a fiberglass trailer to give you pause. My own personal preference if to hire something like this done by a professional.

Did I mention that Cheryl thinks I'm so tight I squeak. More like a manly "squawk", I think...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote