Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Outside Stair Light

I saw a 5'er with a light under their stairs and I was wondering on my 2955RL how I could wire in a connection that would work off the same switch as the above door light does right now?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Bob,
I bought an amber surface light with the rocker switch on it and mounted it under the stair box on my 3475RL. I tapped into the basement light on the same side and ran the wire thru the same hole in the bulkhead. I then fished it down the propane compartment and put it along the pan that rolls down from the side and is screwed to the frame. It didn't take very long to do the whole thing. The light fixture is not seen, only the light when it is on. The light shines down and is not bothersome to other campers. Hope this helps.

Dee Estevez

Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

Mounting a light should be pretty easy. The power source would be easier to tap from the porch light switch rather than the porch light itself, as trying to get wiring down the exterior wall is near impossible.

We did a surface mount powered by a separate switch in the control panel (also by remote on the key fob for entry).

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I bought one at WalMart, it mounts on the floor under the door with its own push button switch. Ran the power for the fuse box, and with that same power I powered a set of reverse lights with a rocker switch.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I took the cheap and easy way out. I masked off all but a 1" strip at the front edge of each step and painted it white. Now when I step out at night, the stairs are easy to see.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I intended on wiring up a light under the steps but want it on a second switch so I do not have to leave the top light on. That does irritate some campers.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote