Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
How do you install satellite radio in Montana?

We are thinking of getting one of the plug-and-play Sirius satellite radios that we can play in the truck and then take into the Montana and play it there as well when we are in a campground. Sirius has a home installation kit with what they call an indoor/outdoor antenna, but it certainly doesn't look like an antenna that would hold up if permanently installed outside. Also, not sure how to install an antenna in the rig--it looks like it should be installed outside, or at least in a window that has a good angle to the Sirius satellites, but I doubt any window in the rig will consistently have a good sight on the satellite as we move from campground to campground.

So for those who are using satellite radio in your rigs, can you tell me how you have hooked up the antenna and what type of antenna you have used? Again, thanks in advance for your help on this.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have XM Radio and use the home kit for inside our Montana. We do not have a permanent antenna for outside but by placing the one provided with the home kit near a window it works. We have received reception by placing the antenna head on top of the valence. Hope it works for as well as it does for us.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I have the Sirius in my Big Sky 340RL. I just laid the antenna in behind the stereo and it works fine. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have a Sirius sat, radio that we move around between home, truck and trailer. My experience is that reception is not too reliable with the antenna inside the trailer. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it keeps dropping the signal. I usually run the antenna wire outside through one of the little side windows and place it on the roof near the ladder. I would say just try various arrangements, and find what works out for you. Bottom line is that you should be able to get sat. radio in your rig.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi David and Jo-Anna,
I did that, will post pictures.
I was having a non thinking experience at the time, so I mounted the antenna dome down......didn't work too well.
I made a small metal bracket and attached it to the wall, reversed the antenna, now it works well. Gets a good signal through the roof.
Good luck. Oh, could you do me a favor? I need the rough in measurement on your bathroom window. I'm ordering one from my inept dealer's parts department. they say they don't have one on the lot and don't know what size it is... So, if I get them the measurement, they will order it for me. The rough in measurement is about half way in on the rubber, or maybe better seen inside the window.
Thanks, Ozz
Sirius installs:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...teradio002.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...teradio006.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...teradio004.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
David, I have Sirius Starmate with a portable boom box. I just shuttle it from the car to the Monty and lay the antenna on the floor by the rear window. I recently saw on the Sirius web site the boom box was on sale. j
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
PS: the boom box is also handy if you want to listen outside
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have XM in the Silverado. We can log onto the XM web site on the internet and log in using our account number and listen to XM via the internet. It will play in the backgorund while we do other things on the computer.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I run my antenna wire down the vent for my sink. Drilled a hole in the vent pipe and fished the wire out. I have enough wire to run it outside. I mounted the antenna on top of the air vent.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have XM Roady with home kit can use in the Montana or the TV. Just put the antenna near the window attach the unit to the Montana Radio with velcro works well.

Would not be with out satellite radio we have 4
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote