Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Has Anybody Tried This 20 Amp Modification

I've read about the other 20 amp. additions but "Orders From High Command" (married guys will understand) states that we're not cutting a hole in the side of the Mountaineer!!
So, I need to know if its possible to go in the side storage of a 298RLS and snake wire up to the drain of the bedroom sink. I could then run a wire to the side of the sink cabinet and install a outlet.
I would plug the 20 amp extension cord into the storage end. How much more difficult would it be to go to the main breaker box or would it be better to put a seperate breaker under the bathroom sink?
Just asking and looking for options before I start.

HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Your post reminds me of a photo of Ozz standing on a ladder next to his brand new Monty. In his hand was a drill with a 4" hole saw. He was perparing to drill a hole in the side of his new Monty for a dryer vent. I can only imagine what Sue had going thru her mind.

Photo Attached but is very slow loading.

Your post also reminded me that that same Ozz is the man to answer your question as he has done much electrical work during his life. Your 20 AMP job sounds like a cake walk for the old Ozzman.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! Good one Glenn.
Yes, I am not too hesitant about drilling into her, but is is painful, as you can see.
I like the option of running a good heavy 12-2 with gnd. SO cord, (extension cord) from the power post into the Monte. I have elected to do so with my new freezer, at the back and on the desk slide side. I used the recessed male pronged plug with a detachable cord. (Just another hole) But with the flip lid, it doesn't look too bad. I also did a similar deal with our previous RV, a Keystone Sprinter TT. I mounted a 20 amp plug on the kitchen wall, ran the cord down and under the TT, with a 20' cord that I wrapped at the tail of the TT when traveling.
Why do you need another 20 amps in the bedroom/bathroom? I have found that even with an electric heater there in Winter we seem to be OK on the power. I did attach onto the GFI plug by the sink, and run power to an outlet in the bathroom for a night light for my Prostate and I......
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I just couldn't resist.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I have run an extension cord for a heater through the slide seal before.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
To answer your original question, I believe you can do as you suggest. I have done this in the past. Probably not a good idea for the long term, but if you just need extra power for short stay, it should be OK. From an electrical safety point of view, there is a potential hazard if the extension cord became damaged. I have now received approval from higher authority to put a "multi-purpose port" in the back of our Montana for such things as extra extension cords, external WiFi antennas, Cell phone antennas, Sat. Radio antenna, etc. Some people have removed the almost useless telephone connection for this purpose.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Ozz, I was wanting a extra circuit for hair dryer, curling iron (not for me), a coffee maker and heater---not all a one time. When we bought the Mountaineer it was tripping breakers and after 7 tries the dealer replaced the upper part of the A/C. No more tripped breakers. I guess I'm "tripped breaker gun shy".
When we campped with 50 amp in the winter we used 2 ceramic heaters to save propane. One heater in the front and one in the bedroom. We now have 30 amp.
Thats why I was inquiring about the extra 20 amp.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OZZ, how do you locate the studs in the walls before you cut those holes. I've noticed on cool mornings when condensation forms on the fiberglass you can see the frame outline. I suppose a stud finder would work on the fiberglass; just curious. Oh, I'm not fixing to cut any holes in the Mountaineer. DW would have heart failure if she saw me with a hole saw up against the trailer.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
HughM, I came off of our microwave outlet behind the microwave and added an outlet on the side of the cabinet, since it is a convection oven/microwave, it has a dedicated 20 amp service to it, on microwave only, it has enough amps left to power my coffee maker. That is where you might pick up some power. I am including the outlet pictures for my freezer in the back. I'm not too proud of the exposed handy box, but the walls are shallow, I am lazy, so there it is....
I came off the breaker box and added a few new circuits, just lots of fishing in the walls and ceilings.
Will, that is an excellent way, I also use my stud finder, it shows them as well.
I got the pictures messed up, the last picture where the Green tape is stuck, is where the new outlet is...
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1741.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1743.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1742.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0519.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0523.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0525.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0518.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
OZZ, You are the master!!!! I think that will be my winter project. Its too hot now in FLA to work on it and besides the Montaineer is in a storage lot with no power for tools. I want to have that done in the manner you described.
The more I learn from this forum the more I'm looking forward to Branson in 2008 and meeting all in person. I'll be there on the 12th.
Thanks
Hugh
Old 08-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I did the separate 20 amp line for our toaster and coffee pot with Ozz's suggestions...that way I can use the kitchen in the morning and still have our electric fireplace in action (cooler fall temps of course).
One of the better mods I have done for the usability factor.
I was also able to run the line out where our main connect is, so no new holes...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Ozzie do you have any pictures of how you ran your lines? I want to be able to use coffee maker and waffle iron in kitchen and not affect the ceramic heater or A/C.
Thanks
Hugh
Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I don't have any pictures yet, sorry. I can assure you it isn't real pretty as my skills are carpentry based rather than electrical, but it does work really well.
I happen to have a rear kitchen (trailer - see pic in sig), so I ran the line from the new outlet location near the corner of the counter, underneath the counter and back inside, across the back under the sink, and finally into the main storage for the power cord under the fridge.
The plug for the additional line shares the same access hole to the outside.
I know the 5'ers have the solid plug for the 50 amp, but mine is the 30, so the cord storage is different.
After using it for this season so far, I can tell you this is one mod I would consider making a hole for...and I don't do those without a lot of pain. Most everything I do I figure out a way to minimize them.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote