Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Extra fuel

I elected to carry two extra 5gal jugs of diesel in the truck bed (just in case). Pouring the fuel into the truck gets quite messy as the spouts on the jugs tend to leak while empting the fuel into the truck.

I think that a transfer pump is in order so I can just leave the jugs in the truck and pump the fuel into the truck instead of trying to pour it in when needed.

My question is: Has anyone researched and/or purchased a transfer pump and if so, where did you get it.

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For the first 5 years of full timing, I carried two 5-gal containers also. But I found that I was having to dump it in the tanks periodically to avoid aging of the fuel. We start looking for fuel after about 180 miles. At that time I still have a second tank carrying 19 gallons. I need to get out and walk around a little anyway and stopping for fuel allows me to do that.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

For the first 5 years of full timing, I carried two 5-gal containers also. But I found that I was having to dump it in the tanks periodically to avoid aging of the fuel. We start looking for fuel after about 180 miles. At that time I still have a second tank carrying 19 gallons. I need to get out and walk around a little anyway and stopping for fuel allows me to do that.

Orv
I too stop often for fuel but there was one time in New Mexico when stations were few and far apart(which I was unaware of) and it took a heck of a lot of praying to get to the next station. I just don't want to be in that situation again. Besides-those jugs are getting awfully heavy and unwieldy.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I used to do the same but I installed the Titan fuel tank. It is made of the same material the orginal tank is made of and it holds 52 gal. Bolts in the same location as the factory tank. This is installed on a short bed Duramax. Complete cost of tank and install about $1300.00. Go to www.titantank.com
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Gitrdun Was there any problem fitting around the fuel cooling unit that is now just in front of the OME tank?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 AM   #6
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
I went with an RDC 60 gal combo aux tank that I bought from Northern Tool for approx $600. Installed it myself with help of a friend in 2-3 hours. It is connected to factory fill hose with a check valve and a manual cut-off valve between the two. They call the installation kit a diesel kit ($70). Works great, but is only legal for diesel I understand.
2Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Maybe you just need one of those syphon hoses with a built in starter pump . Keep the jugs on the side above the fuel door and it's all "downhill" from there. The'yre just a few bucks
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

Maybe you just need one of those syphon hoses with a built in starter pump . Keep the jugs on the side above the fuel door and it's all "downhill" from there. The'yre just a few bucks
Thanks! I found one at Northern tool for $85. I also got a small siphon pump at Harbor Freight for the generators but I think I would be all day pumping 5 gals with. Shall see.....
Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A extra fuel tank is on my wish list for this truck or the next one.. Re fueling is the worst part of traveling as most fuel stations gas or diesel are NOT big Rv friendly..60 gal tank at least..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Bryon, I think you meant to say RDS Manufacturing out of Perry Florida. http://rdsaluminum.com/ They will ship dirct to.

I am putting in a 30 Gal. Aux Tool Box Combo Tank next week. 34 Gallons in the truck and 30 Gallons in the Aux tank (64 gallons total) should give about 600 mile range. If i can't find fuel by then, i'm toast.

There's a filler kit known as the Gravity Kit with the hose, cutoff valve and check valve. ($60.00) You can see it at WWW.GravityFeed.4T.Com.
I didn't want a bigger tank due to condensation problems if you don't keep it completly full al the time and weight to.

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
I can't speak for it yet, but I have a toolbox/aux.tank combo ordered from American Tank www.auxtank.com
It's 45 gallons in addition to the standard fuel tank already in the truck. It connects to the fuel system and you just switch from one tank to the other with a toggle switch on the dash. Hopefully I'll have time to work on getting it installed next week.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Many years ago I had an inexpensive "pump" that worked pretty well although transfer was fairly slow because of the small hose. It was a simple (neoprene?) hose with a hand-sized enlarged area you squeezed a few times until the flow began, then just let it flow. The extra tank had to be higher than the end of the hose into the truck's tank for it to work. You might check an auto parts store to see if these are still available. Or even Walmart.

If you regularly transfer fuel then you'd want something better. For me, the extra five gallon tank in the toolbox is for emergencies. I got it because our truck requires ulsd and I was unusure of availability. So far availability has not been a problem. Our next 700 miles (leaving Sunday) is almost all US highways. If we have no problems finding ulsd on that stretch then I'll stop worrying about it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a hose with a copper fitting on the end of it. Inside the fitting is a marble and a spring. You stick the open end of the hose in the can and just "jerk off" (no better word) the fitting two or three times and the syphon (sp) starts. Used this for several years around the farm.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
When we were in boating I had to have extra fuel for longer trips. Easy way and cheap way is this. Ace Hardware or similar store get the kerosene pump. It's plastic has a orange squeeze top and a few pumps and you'll have gravity take over.
I went a step above and got a 3' hose to insert over the stock outlet hose and with a worm clamp I had a pump. Now I could get fuel to my stock tanks. Works great on a truck with a tool box or just sit it on the bedrails of your truck.
Total cost $12.00.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
MUDCHIEF recommended a 65 gallon/Tool Box combo from KSH Marine in Lake Havasue, AZ. I am now in the process of installing this unit. it will give me 100 gallons on board as the Dodge has a 35 gallon to start with. 100 gallons, bedpan, cooler with sandwiches and beverages and I am good to go. If nothing else it give's a person the ability to purchase when and where he wants to in most cases you can fill when your SOLO... If you want to transfer fuel from your carry tanks to main tank, you can go to a auto parts store and get a cheap generic 12 volt fuel pump, with 3/8th fuel hose it will transfer 5 gallon quickly..
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 AM   #16
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Thanks for the ideas of a siphon hose with a squeeze ball to get things going. I have a long bed (34 gal) and the extra fuel is just for those times when stations are few and far between.