Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Rear Cameras

Has anyone mounted on their Mountaineer or Montana a rear backup/camera. I have one for my 335rlbs but have not yet installed it. Can't decide it I want to install it on this 05 or hold it and install on a probably Montana 3400RL that I am considering in the next 18 months in prep for long timing it.
If so can you post tips, routing info etc.

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are a few of us that have the backup cam installed. It is the best money I ever spent, makes a great rear view mirror and it is a huge safety feature. It is no big deal to install and remove if necessary. I would defiantly install it. We have the 06 3400 with the rear ladder on the door side.We have the cam on the top rung of the ladder other more industrious MOC'ers have installed it above the big window in the middle and ran the cable through the camper.We ran down the ladder rail, under the camper attaching the cable to the underbelly with Gorilla tape(may go under later) came up through the door side propane hatch,drilled up through the roof of the propane compartment which is the floor under the dresser in the bedroom..Ran along the wall into the closet//about the middle of the closet floor is the underside of the hitch pin...drilled a hole in the floor and you are outside the camper but inside the hitch pin...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I mounted my camera in the center above the rear window, and routed the cable as follows:

1) I ran the camera cabling across the top of the trailer, over to the street side, ran the cabling down inside the rubber molding to the underneath side of the trailer, and into a small drill hole that provides access to the sewer hose storage.

2) From there, the cable was strung along the underneath side of the trailer, up through the street side propane tank area and into the top of the front storage area.

3) A small hole was then drilled just above (and actually into the top of the overhang above) the front storage door. The wire was then routed outside the trailer from this hole to the pin box.

4) When complete, this leaves the wiring exposed in 2 places: 1) 4' horizontally along the back top of the trailer roof over to the street side, and 2) 3' from the exit hole above the front storage door to the back side of the pin box.

5) I purchased a package of white (double back stick on) cable/wire managers at Fry's. This is the type material that is often used to run wiring on the outside of cinder block walls, along the back of desks etc.

I installed one cable manager along the top of the gelcoat rear cap, parallel and about 1" behind the rear-cap-to-rubber-roof-seal. The manager traverses from the center of the coach across the top of the rear end cap, over to the street side of the roof. This manager is almost exactly the same color as the fiber glass, and can not be seen while standing on the ground. The wire was routed through this wire manager and into the rubber molding that travels down the rear street side of the trailer.

I then installed an approximate 3' strip of the same cable manager along the underneath side of the overhang from the driller hole to the pin box, and installed the wire inside.

Hope the above makes sense. It works and looks neat. I'm happy. I now am able to see my bikes mounted onto the back hitch mount, and see how the motorcycle trailer is towing behind my Monty - that is, if I ever get a rear hitch installed someday?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Rick and or Rich,
What brand of backup cam have you installed and approximate cost.

Thank you for your help,

Laura & Joe
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc...ategory_Code=1

We have the 5.6 CHNV
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I installed one on my 2980. After having one on our previous motorhome, I found I couldn't live without it. They're a great safety feature and, as Rich said, make a great rear view. Mine also helps me keep an eye on the boat and trailer I tow behind the 5'er.

I placed mine over the rear picture window and routed the wiring down through the fiberglass end cap and then under the rig. I temporarily removed one of the tail lights to allow access to fish the wire.

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Thank you Richfaa.

Laura & Joe
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote