Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
California West Coast Trip

We are starting to put together our travels for next Feb-Mar-Apr 2018. We will start off in Santa Monica CA, my question is, will I have any issues pulling our 38 foot 2017 3661RL Montana on HWY 1 North? I've read there areas where there are curves and turns that could be difficult to get through. I'm going to research this more but I wanted to get inputs from travelers that have been there.

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We are going west next summer and plan to head up the coast from Yosemite on up. I have heard that it is not a good road to tow a trailer on. What we plan to do is take I-5 up, and stop here and there to explore Highway 1 going up the coast. We have no intention of towing on that road. Others who are familiar with the area will likely have more to add.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Highway 1 is not recommended for RVs I have driven it several times and I would not pull mt rig over it. Better route is highway 101. Scenic and close to 1'so it would be easy to drop your rig in a park and do some sightseeing on 1.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
The Pacific Coast Highway (HWY 1) is a nice drive vista wise, but I would not do it with an RV that length. You are right that there are places not conducive to towing an RV. It's also a slow drive.
If you stay inland on I-5, you will deal with the Grapevine. Stay to the right and don't be in a hurry.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Much of Hwy-1 is scenic (albeit slow in spots) and safe to take a Montana on *EXCEPT* the portion from around Cambria (Hearst Castle - be sure to see it) to Big Sur. But even if you wanted to go that way (great fun in a sporty car) you can't due a slide last winter that wiped out the road. Caltrans projects they MAY have it back open sometime in the summer of 2018. Hwy-101 is a fine alternative around Hwy-1. I-5 is a freeway and if you like them fine, but I prefer the more scenic routes.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Hwy 1 from Sonoma county to Fort bragg is not that bad. I've lived here for 45 years. You want to take your time and watch the road. The biggest problem is the bikes, A lot of people on that HWY riding bikes. Sometimes it can be a challange. But in my youth I drove a 3 axle semi with a 45' trailer from Sonoma county to Fort Bragg 5 days a week. Just take your time and use the pull outs when needed and you will love it.