Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
BigEli

M.O.C. #29230
6.7l Transmission

I'm new to towing and started a move from Ft. Drum, NY to AZ. First day of stravel was smooth, but the second day my 2019 F250 6.7l started to show my transmission temperature getting up to 223. I stopped and ran the vehicle and it would drop to 190, but once I got o the highway after a few miles it would be back up to 221 to 223. I checked the transmission levels and it was full. I also has some guys at Valvoline check under the truck for leaks. I have placed myself at the Ford dealership in Joplin MISSOURI till the morning to have them look at it. Just wish I didn't have to drive so far still to be wasting daylight. Any advice would be great.thanks

BigEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEli View Post
I'm new to towing and started a move from Ft. Drum, NY to AZ. First day of stravel was smooth, but the second day my 2019 F250 6.7l started to show my transmission temperature getting up to 223. I stopped and ran the vehicle and it would drop to 190, but once I got o the highway after a few miles it would be back up to 221 to 223. I checked the transmission levels and it was full. I also has some guys at Valvoline check under the truck for leaks. I have placed myself at the Ford dealership in Joplin MISSOURI till the morning to have them look at it. Just wish I didn't have to drive so far still to be wasting daylight. Any advice would be great.thanks

What were the outside air temps? And, were you pulling in hills? What is the loaded weight of your trailer?

While you might be a bit on the high side, if it's hot, hilly and towing heavy, that is not necessarily too hot. I would worry more if you were towing in similar conditions during the day and the temps suddenly shot up...

Brad
Old 07-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Mine gets a little warm, about 3/4 on the gauge when towing uphill. Once at the top it goes back to midrange on the gauge. Any chance your trailer brakes are dragging? What is your brake gain set to?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
BigEli

M.O.C. #29230
Trailer is set to 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Mine gets a little warm, about 3/4 on the gauge when towing uphill. Once at the top it goes back to midrange on the gauge. Any chance your trailer brakes are dragging? What is your brake gain set to?
Trailer is set to 3.5 brakes and the temperature is about 88 with humidity. Some hills driving through Missouri. Trailer is 7600 lbs.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Trailer is set to 3.5 brakes and the temperature is about 88 with humidity. Some hills driving through Missouri. Trailer is 7600 lbs.

Ok, that does seem high to me then. I've had temps that high when the air was over 100f and pulling steep grades with a 13,000lb 5th wheel.

Probably good that you are getting it checked out, just in case.

Brad
Old 07-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
220 degrees or so isn’t going to hurt you transmission. The new transmission oils will go way over that before they are too hot.
No problem drive on enjoy your trip.
Lynwood

Let me add something. I’ve had my 08 6.4 five speed up to 235 and over going up a long steep mountain and had to shift into 4 WD low to get the temperature down with no problem.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I assume your truck has the 6R140 six speed tranny in it. They tend to run hotter that what many of us are accustomed to. The Mercon LV full synthetic fluid can handle 220's all day long so says Ford Motor Company. The tranny fluid gets both heated and cooled by the radiator's coolant, yet has a tiny tranny cooler mounted right under said radiator. Wait till you go to a newer Ford truck ... some models have no dipstick up top for the tranny anymore. You have to roll under the truck on a creeper and fumble with a short stub right above the tranny/oil pan divide with the engine running. Engineers think an owner is too weak of mind, so no up top dip stick tends to direct many to a dealer where it gets checked "right"??? You can add a cooler, but it requires a bit of cutting of the radiator support behind the grill to allow things to clear.

PS The 6R140 has a thermostat in it that reduces flow to the cooler until set temp is achieved. That makes a tranny flush nearly impossible. I'd not go as long as Ford recommends on a tranny fluid change ... more like 40K - 50K if you tow alot. JMHO
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
BigEli

M.O.C. #29230
Trailer tires making cracking noises

My toy hauler tire area makes a crunching sound when moving and feels like the trailer is resisitingthe tow. Any recommendations for that?
Old 07-18-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
A toy hauler that only weighs 7600? You sure?

My temps run 190-230 pulling my 16k unit.

This chart has been floating around my computer for awhile; not sure it is still relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission temperatures.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	9737  
scottz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
BigEli

M.O.C. #29230
It says around that number, I don't have anything in it except for house supplies on this trip. Just trying to figure out this temp issue while pulling. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Mine might get that high hi-speeding it up the 6% and 7% grades towing my 16K+ Montana. But for a light load, I suspect the sensor is bad.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:42 AM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
My toy hauler tire area makes a crunching sound when moving and feels like the trailer is resisitingthe tow. Any recommendations for that?
I would jack it up and spin the tires. With electric brakes they should touch very lightly and you will hear them as you spin the tire. Anything more than that I would investigate. Also check your shackle bolts and suspension.

I recently had a brake fail. You could really hear it when the wheel rolled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake fail 5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	9744  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
cool it

so last trip thru the Kentucky mountains for hours produced very high temps for the oil, water and trans as the engine never really got to cool down before we hit another mountain. This was worrisome to me pulling 15,000 lbs. Got home and did some research and found this lower temp thermostat for the 6.7

Watch this, this guy is not pulling as heavy so his temps will be lower but the comparison is the same.

Ordered this up and this trip thru the mountains in Kentucky ( by the way we made several stops along the way and found the people there are very friendly, not like the ones around Washington D.C. where I live. Anyway I noticed the temps on all the gages ( I use a Scan Gage I can monitor everything at a glance) was much lower generally and don`t worry about it any more.
The install took 15 minutes and was easy for any one with basic tools and just a little mechanical knowledge. The Sinister Brand thermo has a better reputation on the Ford truck Forum board and a little more expensive but proven to work.

More reading on the subject

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...uling.1289514/

Ford says this is normal themps under high stress. I don`t agree and changed all fluids out to full synthetic, oil and trans and "Cool It" in the water, all this seem to help.

more reading

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ting-temp.html
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #14
BigEli

M.O.C. #29230
I had the Ford dealership check the truck and everything was running correctly. They gave me a printout that said the transmission in my truck can run 200 to 240 normally with bo consequences. I'm gonna upgrade my radiators and prepare my truck for heavier and longer hauls. Thank you for all the advice.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #15
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Keep your speed down, say 55 or 60. I pull a 12,000 lb 302RL with a GMC 2500HD (gas) and seldom see transmission temperature above 220, and I live in NV and travel mostly in desert settings.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #16
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Best to start a new thread for this question.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #17
smkn454 Mike
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23725
Quote:
For reference I have a 2019 Chevy Duramax dually with the Allison transmission. We pull a 3791rd that weighs around 16.5 k that just returned from Myrtle Beach. We had several 6% grades & many up and down hills in Kentucky. Yesterday pulling through there @ 90° temps my transmission never went over 190° nor has it in some big pulls out in SD with 105° temps as well. Neither engine or transmission temps charge much in the heat. Those temps seem on the high side, but I'm not help since I'm not a Ford guy
smkn454 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #18
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
I had the Ford dealership check the truck and everything was running correctly. They gave me a printout that said the transmission in my truck can run 200 to 240 normally with bo consequences. I'm gonna upgrade my radiators and prepare my truck for heavier and longer hauls. Thank you for all the advice.
We have an '18 F-350 Dually and it takes some pretty long hard pulls (Utah and Colorado) in pretty high heat to get ours to show the temp above the trans and/or engine temp gauges. Scared me at first too but the gauge itself always stayed pretty close to the middle and if you listen you should be able to hear the cooling fan kick in and pull things down when needed. I found this video pretty informative:

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Actually the temperature gages aren’t real gages. They are little more than idiot lights and that is why they don’t move but very little off center. If you would like gages buy after market gages. You can plug them into your OSB port. I keep track of 12 different things from fuel pressure to oil, transmission and coolant temperature.
I’m almost sure you can get them Bluetooth and WIFI to your phone.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #20
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Actually the temperature gages aren’t real gages. They are little more than idiot lights and that is why they don’t move but very little off center. If you would like gages buy after market gages. You can plug them into your OSB port. I keep track of 12 different things from fuel pressure to oil, transmission and coolant temperature.
I’m almost sure you can get them Bluetooth and WIFI to your phone.
Lynwood
On my '18 Super Duty the actual number of the temp displays above the gauge when it gets above a certain point. Apparently it can be coded to show all the time.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.7l diesel