Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Bike rack on rear

My Mountaineer has the built-in bike rack on the rear. We will soon be getting some bikes, but have never used the rack yet. Anyone out there have this on their fiver, and how do you like it? Also, how do you secure the bikes to the rack itself? Any info appreciated.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I removed the cheap plastic tray, mounted a piece of diamondplate aluminum and mounted two front fork holders. I remove the front wheels of the bike and place in the back of the truck and mount the bikes on the back. Works great. No scratches.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
I use my bike rack every weekend. I have not modified it and did have some scratching when I first started using it on the back of the camper. It was caused by a bike with training wheels. I ended up using more bungee cord and getting the bikes closer to the vertical bar.

Now it works out great! I would just suggest using a lot of bungee cords to secure the load. We get two adult bikes and 2 children's bikes on with some effort. I actually take my 5 year olds bike and attach it to the back of the vertical support.

Good luck! I hope that helps.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We use ours all the time.. Works great. I use ratchet two ratchet straps to secure 4 bikes to the rack pulling tight against the vertical bar to keep them from rubbing against the back of the camper. Excellent rack. Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Thanks for the input. I feel a lot better about using the rack now. Bob, what a great looking family. Thanks again.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote