Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Leaking Hydraulics

Just brought home my new 3000RK and after going over everything with a fine tooth comb I found that one of the hydraulic lines for the slides is leaking at the reducer. So I will now have to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed I did not notice the fluid on the battery cover during the walk through but the sldes had only been operated a couple of times and apearantly had not started to leak yet.

waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
waldo238,

Sorry to hear of your leak, things like that tend to dampen the joy of bringing home the new rig.
Could it be just a loose fitting? A quick check with a wrench might save you a trip back to the dealer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have already done that, slowed it down but still leaks. I am afraid to tighten it any more as if breaks then I have a big mess. When I call them I am going to describe it in detail and maybe they will have the parts on hand and can fix it then. It looks like the reduce for the hose might be the problem, can you put pipe tape on these types of lines?? But I am betting they will have to rreplace the whole line and I know that will be job since the belly is closed in. Ah I see you have the same ATV as I have
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were told by Lippert at the rally that OVERTIGHTENED hydraulic cables will cause a leak and that has been know to happen when assembled..I would give Lippert a call ..they are very helpful. Mine leak..they leak most of the time, First the pump, then the bedroom cable now the opposing slide cable..It is never ending.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We had a major leak under the bed -- bedroom slide-- The snap ring on the end of the aquator popped off -- called Lippert and they replaced the hydrolic aquator, cleaned the carpet etc. They had to remove the whole bed frame to do it, but it was still under the 5year warranty that Lippert has for the slides.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

Just brought home my new 3000RK and after going over everything with a fine tooth comb I found that one of the hydraulic lines for the slides is leaking at the reducer. So I will now have to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed I did not notice the fluid on the battery cover during the walk through but the sldes had only been operated a couple of times and apearantly had not started to leak yet.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I am going to try backing the hose nut back off and see if it might just have been overtighten from the factory.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Well the hose is bad and will have to go back to the dealer, 7 to 10 days just to get the hose made and sent to them. Oh and of couarse it goes to the living room slide so they will half to take the under belly all apart
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WALDO238..try to be around when they drop the underbelly to Run the line. This would be a great time to check out what is going on under there and perhaps re route or seperate wires, etc.I had the very same problem and when they dropped the under belly my hair stood on end (I still have some hair) when I saw the mess under there. Out of something bad can come something good/////
Old 11-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

WALDO238..try to be around when they drop the underbelly to Run the line. This would be a great time to check out what is going on under there and perhaps re route or seperate wires, etc.I had the very same problem and when they dropped the under belly my hair stood on end (I still have some hair) when I saw the mess under there. Out of something bad can come something good/////
What exactly happened on youres? Mine is actually leaking at the connection at the pump. Or is it just that they throw everything in there and cover it up.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I just got mine home.. I checked things also and found oil on the tray under the pump,, I snugged up two lines and cleaned up the mess...i have run the slides in and out twice and there is no more leakage apparent...we put it too bed for the winter yesterday..the front slide went in and the small back slide started in and stopped, but the large back slide started in and then they both started in and sealed up..I am not sure it that was right but I am not going to worry about it until spring now....I wonder if this is an indication of a possible problem or something that happens on occasion???
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had a hydraulic line burn through to to a wiring short in the underbelly last winter in Quatzsite. That is why the underbelly wasa dropped. I have sincec had leaks in the cable where it connects into the pump..both the Bedroom and now the opposing slide. It looks lie the leak in both cases is at the crimped part of the cable . You will never know how well stuff is routed and secured in the under belly till you look..Take a deep breath before you look. It is not a keystone/montana thing it is a RV industry thing.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I took off the panel between the storage hatch and the coach....It was such a mess that I had to walk away and leave it for a couple of days..I cant stand things like that...organize and arrange and make it neat..the only way to do it is to cut and splice wires and then secure them neatly.....
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have an appointment to have the hydraulic line replaced or a new end possibly put on it locally on the 14th.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 AM   #14
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Well I just got the call today that my rig is ready to be picked up, so I will be picking up on Saturday and test and check it out before I leave with it.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Well drove down to the dealer (hour and a half away) to pick up my trailer. I noticed they had parked it right beside a fence so I could not extend the slides. First thing I did was open the front and looked to see the work that was done, and gee this hose looks just like the one that was there? It had marked up black paint on it just like it did before, all of the other connectors are nice and shiny looking. So I gave it the finger test and there was fluid . I went back in and told them and then we hooked up and pushed back from the fence and extended the slides and within 1 minute it started to leak again! , even though he said he had run it in and out 3 or 4 times. Well he is ordering another new hose (not sure if it was really replaced the first time) and try it again. He said it was a common problem on the hoses. Has anybody just gone and had there own hoses made? It just sounds like they are putting a crappy connector on those.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

Well drove down to the dealer (hour and a half away) to pick up my trailer. I noticed they had parked it right beside a fence so I could not extend the slides. First thing I did was open the front and looked to see the work that was done, and gee this hose looks just like the one that was there? It had marked up black paint on it just like it did before, all of the other connectors are nice and shiny looking. So I gave it the finger test and there was fluid . I went back in and told them and then we hooked up and pushed back from the fence and extended the slides and within 1 minute it started to leak again! , even though he said he had run it in and out 3 or 4 times. Well he is ordering another new hose (not sure if it was really replaced the first time) and try it again. He said it was a common problem on the hoses. Has anybody just gone and had there own hoses made? It just sounds like they are putting a crappy connector on those.
The term "service" from some of these dealers is used very loosly. My hydraulics leak a little all the time, always have. I just wipe it up off the tray and keep on going. It's not worth trying to get the dealer to fix it, and the leak is so slight, I've only added fluid once.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I would do that but mine is a bit more than slight.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are leaking at the connectors on the bedroom and opposing slide on the 3400.There will be a trip to the dealer when we get settled in...The good news is that it did not catch on fire on the way down this year.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The reservior tank to pump connection leaks on our trailer. It has leaked about a half quart of fluid since March of this year. At the rate it is leaking I should have about 4 quarts of ATF invested by the time we trade for something with a better system than this one. I just change the paper towel every week so the battery boxes stay clean.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Great news I finally got to go and pick up my rig after the hydraulic hose line repair. They replaced the correct hose line this time, this was admitted in not so many words from the technician who did the repair the first and second time. I knew when I saw a nice shinny connector it was fixed.