Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
Stained Glass window dec. for door window

Dear Monty owners,

Sometimes the sun beams through the rear door on our 2955rl and blinds us as we are sitting in the chairs in the morning or afternoon.

We've seen and admired stained glass type window decorations on various rigs doors and wondered if anyone knows how these are installed or if there are kits we could buy.

We bought a "stick on" type plastic stained decoration which is really pretty but it won't stay stuck as the glass on the door is not smooth. The directions say that we should not use glue as it would show through.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Phil

Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
We actually applied a portion of a window graphic on our door a year and a half ago and it is still in place. We ordered it from stylinconcepts.com

Hope this helps.
tnorfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Phil, we bought our stained glass window recently in Mexico. Glen undid the screws in the black frame. removed the 'bumpy' original glass, replaced it with the new window and added a bead of silicon caulking. The two frame pieces were put back into the window and the screws were put back in the frame and the door. Pretty simple.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,

As Judy says - probably best and most secure just to install it as a replacement window.

Not sure it will help with the sun beam though - we have stained glass windows all over our stick house, and the beam still blinds you, it's just prettier as it blinds you and is much more complete blindness as it now goes around corners with the glass prisms . (No, we don't live in a church, but we are Scottish)

The best cure for the sun would probably be the sun shade that fits on the upper screen from camping world.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I just picked up a stained glass window to replace the window on my door.Haven`t installed it yet but it does come with instructions that are pretty straight forward.

www.rvstainedglass.com
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I tinted my windows in our previous TT and put the tint on the OUTSIDE of the door windows and the bathroon window. The outside was flat and the tint stayed about 4 years before it started to peel at the edges - of course it was glued with the built-in adhesive.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Harleyrider, Isn't Kathy great to work with? We bought the lighthouse from her and it came through the mail in great shape. She packs them i styrofoam and then wood panels on top and bottom, makes an eimpervious package. Glad you used her ocmpany, she's just getting started and seems to be really nice to work with.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
You Monty Club folks never, never fail to come up with lots of help. Thank you all for your great suggestions and tips.

We have smooth glass on the outside of the glass pane and it's rough on the inside. So initially, I simply put the film on the outside, hoping it would stick like those stick-on thermometers that stay on so well.

The answer to my problem was from a Monty owner who suggested that I simply turn the glass around, inside to outside.

I removed the frame, turned the glass around, reinstalled the frame and now have a lovely stained glass type decoration on the inside of the door, on smooth glass. It's great and seems to be sticking just like my outside thermometer. Sometimes the answer is so obvious it is elusive. Well, for my old brain anyway.

Thanks again, everybody.

Phil
Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
It certainly eluded my little brain !!! Something I may tuck away for future reference, though !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil Poindexter

We bought a "stick on" type plastic stained decoration which is really pretty but it won't stay stuck as the glass on the door is not smooth. The directions say that we should not use glue as it would show through.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Phil
Phil I took the window out and put the smooth side on the inside where the decal now is on the inside.
It worked for me
Old 04-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

I looked online at CW and don't find the shade you're talking about. This has always been an issue with us no matter what camper we owned. We've hung a towel over and shut the door but not the best answer. Annette thought about the stained glass and it would be pretty but you have a point about the different prettier blinding. Nothing like being blinded by a laser.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You're right MAC, its a Carefree product.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rv...asp?m=01020416

My error. Swore I got it for my 2955 at CW though. Must have been at the the little RV store in Broomfield.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Here is a link you can actually buy from.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=1191
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

Harleyrider, Isn't Kathy great to work with? We bought the lighthouse from her and it came through the mail in great shape. She packs them i styrofoam and then wood panels on top and bottom, makes an eimpervious package. Glad you used her ocmpany, she's just getting started and seems to be really nice to work with.
Kathy was the best.she was so worried that it was going to be damaged in shippment.I told her she did a great job on packing it.A got the blue sun burst one.matching the truck and the Montana.Shes raised the prices since I bought mine.i got in under the wire(lol)
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Harleyrider - Thanks!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We bought the film at Home Depot. You only have to take the door glass out and lay it on the counter. smooth side up. Spray it with water and put the film on. It will last long time. Put glass back into door with the film on inside. Cost about $20 at Home Depot.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote