Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
RV Water Pump

Just thought I'd pass on this little piece of wisdom. For several days I've been noticing a puddle beneath the rig right below where the water hose is connected to the rig. It appeared that the connection was leaking. I tried everything trying to eliminate the seepage of water (it wasn't a lot of water). I changed fittings, changed hoses, etc. Finally, I stood and watched what was happening. It took about 15 minutes but I noticed water seeping out the overflow from the on-board fresh water tank. I wondered what caused this to happen. I remembered that when I pulled into this park that my water tank was 2/3 full but now it was full to overflowing.

I disconnected the input to my RV water pump (the hose connecting the pump to the fresh water tank) and noticed water seeping out. It dawned on me: the check valve in the pump was not closing so it allowed water from the park to go through the pump into the tank.

Fortunately, I had another pump which I had available (always carry a spare) which I installed and now there is no leak! I'll stop at Camping World in Tucson next week and pick up another pump head. They sell for about $40 which is a lot cheaper than a new pump.

So, if you ever have these symptoms, check your pump.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Orv - good info regarding your water pump. This is the kind of info that we all need to share because we never know when the need to deal with this or a similar problem may come up. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Orv - instead of buying a new water pump why couldn't a person have a spair in line check valve in there goodie box.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Orv - instead of buying a new water pump why couldn't a person have a spair in line check valve in there goodie box.
You could put an in-line check valve on the input to the pump. But I prefer to have a spare pump anyway because of the many times we've lost a pump when dry camping. So, I just purchase a new "Pump Head" and replace the head with the bad check valve.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Orv, I have another problem you may know something about. This year when I tried to winterize the Monty, I poured the antifreeze into the holding tank and turned on the pump to run it thru the waterlines and nothing. I poured antifreeze directly into the pump and it pumped it into all the lines, thus winterizing the lines. Now I have four gallons of the RV Antifreeze in the holding tank. Does this mean I need a new pump or is there a problem with my holding tank?
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pchaas

Orv, I have another problem you may know something about. This year when I tried to winterize the Monty, I poured the antifreeze into the holding tank and turned on the pump to run it thru the waterlines and nothing. I poured antifreeze directly into the pump and it pumped it into all the lines, thus winterizing the lines. Now I have four gallons of the RV Antifreeze in the holding tank. Does this mean I need a new pump or is there a problem with my holding tank?
I'm a little confused. When you talk about pouring antifreeze into your holding tank are you talking about your fresh water tank or the holding tank. If you're pouring it into the holding tank it's not doing you any good.

To winterize properly, it's best to use a winterizing kit. My Montana came with the kit already. What it consists of is tubing and fittings that allow you to tap into the input side of the pump and put one end of the tubing into a gallon bottle of RV antifreeze and then pump it through the lines, starting with the lines furthest away from the pump. Be sure to set the valves on the hot water heater so that you bypass it with the antifreeze. I assume you know to drain the hot water heater completely.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your pump. If it pumped water from your fresh water tank, it'll pump the antifreeze. I don't recommend putting the antifreeze into the fresh water tank because it takes 4 to 6 gallons that way. Just drain the fresh water tank completely by opening the line that comes out the bottom of the tank (mine is below the belly of the rig, right below where the fresh water tank is located).

Not being where you are so I could show you, the best I can do is words, which sometimes can be very confusing. You can check with any RV accessory store or your RV dealer for a winterizing kit. There not very expensive.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Montana_4732

M.O.C. #4732
I have a 2955 and have been concerned about the water between the holding tank and the pump and the line between the check valve and the pump for the external pressure side. It looks like water there would give you trouble as far as freezing. I have the by pass and it works like a charm but it looks like the other 2 lines don't get any protection just using that. I bought the little fitting from Camping World for the outside hose attachment and blew air through the pressure side and put the antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank and pumped it through just to be safe
Montana_4732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gizmo

I have a 2955 and have been concerned about the water between the holding tank and the pump and the line between the check valve and the pump for the external pressure side. It looks like water there would give you trouble as far as freezing. I have the by pass and it works like a charm but it looks like the other 2 lines don't get any protection just using that. I bought the little fitting from Camping World for the outside hose attachment and blew air through the pressure side and put the antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank and pumped it through just to be safe
If you fully drain your fresh water tank when winterizing, then there is no reason for putting antifreeze in it. Using the winterizing kit, you can easily pump antifreeze into and through all the lines. A tip when winterizing: Be sure you drain all your holding tanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Orv, I think we're on the same page. I wish I had done it correctly to begin with. I could have saved some money. I did learn one thing though last year. After we had winterized and went out for the first time I found out I had neglected to pump any antifreeze through the outside shower head. Both lines froze and burst so when I plugged into the cg water I sprung a leak. It was cool trying to fix it in 29 degree weather. From now on I will just feed it into the pump directly. Thanks.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote