Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
BRBale

M.O.C. #27203
new owner, having problems retracting on reconnect

Hi I'm a new owner of a 2018 Montana High Country RL305. I'm having problems reconnecting. i get a LR Jack error message. This has happened twice now the first week out. The Lippert manual goes through the disconnect and auto leveling but not so much on the reconnect. Any advice on the sequence would be appreciated.

BRBale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum!

Recommend you call Lippert customer service, they are known to be really helpful.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
Concours14

M.O.C. #26514
We have the same model as you, just a 17 vs 18. You will have to extend all the jacks at least 6inches. Once that is done retract all jacks and it should reset the system.
Concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:45 AM   #4
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Like Concours said. Every time you put the jacks down, all 4 jacks need to be able to extend at least 6 inches or it throws the system for a loop. I know, I know, they give you the drop legs on the front jacks. Trust me, 6 inches.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
BRBale

M.O.C. #27203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concours14 View Post
We have the same model as you, just a 17 vs 18. You will have to extend all the jacks at least 6inches. Once that is done retract all jacks and it should reset the system.
Thanks, that is probably it. I am extending the front jack extensions to the ground before I raise to disconnect and auto level.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
the correct disconnect is not to drop the front jacks to the ground but about 3" above. then when you "DROP FRONT JACKS" they will go down and stop upon ground contact..this telling the system just where the ground is. (if you drop them all the way down first the system will never know this )
Also if you are on a hill make sure your rear jacks will never extend over 12 inches or you might get an error say "OUT OF RANGE" use a block if necessary . This also goes for the middle jacks which do not level but only stabilize .

to reconnect press the 2 middle buttons (left and right). This will drop the middle and the rear jacks and then bring the front jacks to the height that you first started with..making re-hitching easier.

my trailer in now on a campground plot that is sloping in 2 directions..this is what i have done ..using blocks to keep the extentions short .(less trailer shack)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-jack1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	7425   Click image for larger version

Name:	7--jack3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	7426   Click image for larger version

Name:	7--jack2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	7427  
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we first got our Montana, I had the RL error happen over and over. It drove me nuts, and there seemed to be rhyme or reason for fixing it. I searched high and low for the error and how to fix it. I finally found the below information and created a document JUST for this problem. Here's the steps:

Correcting a Leveling system error.

Error LR Jack (Left Rear Jack).

Special Jack Error Code:
Run jacks down 6 inches, then raise them up.

Manual operation:
1. Front landing gear (5th Wheels) or Front jacks (Travel Trailers) Note: The landing gear or front jacks will operate manually any time system is “ON” except in “AUTO MODE.”
A. Push “ON/OFF” (Fig. 1K) to turn system on.
B. Push “UP” arrow (Fig. 1A) once or until screen reads “MANUAL MODE” (Fig. 4).
C. Push “ENTER” (Fig. 1C) once while screen reads “MANUAL MODE" (Fig. 4).
D. Push “FRONT” (Fig. 1G) to extend front landing gear or front jacks.
E. Push “RETRACT" (Fig. 1D) and orange LED (Fig. 5) comes on.
F. Push “FRONT” (Fig. 1G) to retract front landing gear or front jacks. NOTE: If orange LED (Fig. 5) is on, landing gear or jacks will retract. If orange LED (Fig. 5) is off, landing gear or jacks will extend.
G. Push “ON/OFF” to turn system off. H. After 3 minutes system will turn off by itself.

2. Level-Up® jacks - EXTEND
A. Turn “ON/OFF” button “ON."
B. Push scroll arrow to display “MANUAL MODE” (Fig. 4).
C. Push “ENTER" button, “MANUAL MODE” displayed (Fig. 4). Note: By pushing “RIGHT,” passenger side Level-Up® jacks operate. By pushing “LEFT,” driver side Level-Up® jacks operate, and so on.

3. Level-Up® jacks – RETRACT
A. Push “RETRACT" and orange LED (Fig. 5) will come on.
B. Push “REAR” to retract all Level-Up® jacks.

4. To extend, the “RETRACT“ light (Fig. 5) should be off.

NOTE: The side to side movement in manual mode is limited to 5 degrees of tilt.

Hold retract button down and then all jacks will begin to retract
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Sometimes the auto function doesn't work, which is probably from the ground you're working with and other times it works with no issue. When it's giving me problems, I just manually level it
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
If you don't want to repeatedly get the error do this. Never manually operate the jacks when it says ready. They will operate at ready but it will throw the jacks out of sync. Always go to manual operation before moving a jack manually. I figured it out after 2 or 3 times of getting them out of sync. And the instructions you've been given above has always put them back in sync for me.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
BRBale

M.O.C. #27203
Thanks everyone for your quick help. i have had spotty internet or i would have thanked you earlier. This site was a huge help for me as the manual was not much help. I have disconnected and reconnected at least 6 times since then with not problems. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Also, make sure you are connected to shore power before using the jacks. They need 12V minimum in order to function correctly or that will also throw an error. Without shore power they will draw down to lower than 12V. The first thing I do after pulling into a spot or at home is connect to 110v power. Then I raise the front to disconnect the truck, then hit Auto Level.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote