Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Front A/C trips breaker when on hi

Hi everyone,

Been full timing in our 2024 3231CK since January. Haven't run the front AC unit much at all as its been pretty cold. Just started using it a little bit more consistently this past week and whenever we put it on hi it trips the breaker, sometimes within 60 seconds, sometimes in 10-30 minutes.

It seems to be willing to run on low consistently, blowing cold air.

I have found that having it on auto vs manual does not make a difference. Running it while the bedroom AC is on or off doesn't make a difference.

We are not running much else, just a couple of computers and internet equipment at the moment so we aren't drawing much power elsewhere. We are on 50amp shore power here at the RV park. Power to the pole on the progressive surge protector shows L1, 122, 1a, L2 123, 10-12a.

I did read through a few similar threads and wondering where to start, simplest to hardest.

I am very handy, but don't know a lot about electrical - happy to learn and I know the basics of working with electrical safely. I guess it's time to get a voltmeter.

Thanks in advance for tips!

Old 04-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It's either a weak breaker or possibly an issue with the A/C unit pulling too many amps when running on high. Probably best to get this checked out under warranty so if it is the A/C problem, it can be replaced.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Bob, thanks for the tip! I am traveling around quite a bit for the next month, then I'll be in the same place for a month so I will try to get it looked at there if I haven't figured it out by then.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:51 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In addition to a voltmeter, you might consider getting a clamp amp meter. You don’t need to spend a lot for a high dollar meter either. You can clamp the amp meter around a wire to measure the current traveling thru that wire without disconnecting the wire. Then you could tell if that A/C is drawing more current than the breaker is rated for. I am guessing the breaker is rated for 20 amps.

Even though a new trailer, it could simply be a bad breaker. I once had an A/C breaker trip something like that. If it was really hot outside the breaker might trip in any where from 5-10 minutes up to 30 minutes or more. But in the evening when cooler it might not trip at all. I replaced the breaker and it never tripped again. Breakers are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Another possibility is that the wire connection to that breaker may be loose or poorly connected. A poor wire connection causes heat and the breakers trip on heat. Poor wire connections are a frequent problem in these trailers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:57 AM   #5
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
In addition to a voltmeter, you might consider getting a clamp amp meter. You don’t need to spend a lot for a high dollar meter either. You can clamp the amp meter around a wire to measure the current traveling thru that wire without disconnecting the wire. Then you could tell if that A/C is drawing more current than the breaker is rated for. I am guessing the breaker is rated for 20 amps.

Even though a new trailer, it could simply be a bad breaker. I once had an A/C breaker trip something like that. If it was really hot outside the breaker might trip in any where from 5-10 minutes up to 30 minutes or more. But in the evening when cooler it might not trip at all. I replaced the breaker and it never tripped again. Breakers are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Another possibility is that the wire connection to that breaker may be loose or poorly connected. A poor wire connection causes heat and the breakers trip on heat. Poor wire connections are a frequent problem in these trailers.
It actually has 15 amp breakers for both ACs, which seem a little under-rated. I will see about ordering one and try swapping it, seems like an easy thing to try.

I will order a clamp amp meter and voltmeter to test the current as well - I knew I would need them eventually!
Old 04-02-2024, 12:04 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
To piggy back on to what Bill said tighten the screw at the breaker and the neutral in the breaker box. While you are in there might as well check all terminated wires, hots, neutral, and grounds. You won't be the first to find loose connections. After tightening all connections in the power distribution panel go to the other end where the power ties into the air conditioning unit and check the connections there. More than one on this form has found loose wires under the wire nut.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:09 PM   #7
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
To piggy back on to what Bill said tighten the screw at the breaker and the neutral in the breaker box. While you are in there might as well check all terminated wires, hots, neutral, and grounds. You won't be the first to find loose connections. After tightening all connections in the power distribution panel go to the other end where the power ties into the air conditioning unit and check the connections there. More than one on this form has found loose wires under the wire nut.
I will check all of that while I am at it, thanks!
Old 04-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
15 amp breaker sounds a little light to me. But maybe the newer units are more efficient. Find your A/C brand and model number and google the specs for that unit. Mine had 20 amp breakers but was an older trailer.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:17 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Post a claim directly so it's recorded. Explain your position. They might authorize to send a mobile tech.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:41 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedinobots View Post
It actually has 15 amp breakers for both ACs, which seem a little under-rated. I will see about ordering one and try swapping it, seems like an easy thing to try.

I will order a clamp amp meter and voltmeter to test the current as well - I knew I would need them eventually!

DO NOT PUT IN A LARGER BREAKER!!! The wire is probably only #14 gauge and putting in a 20 amp breaker is a risk of fire from over heating the wire.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:25 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with Bob. Check the wire on that breaker. If 12 ga you can go up to a 20 amp breaker. But not 14 ga.

Looking at various specs, depending on brand and model 15k RV air conditioners may pull anywhere from 13.8 amps to 15.8 amps at full load.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:25 PM   #12
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I agree with Bob. Check the wire on that breaker. If 12 ga you can go up to a 20 amp breaker. But not 14 ga.

Looking at various specs, depending on brand and model 15k RV air conditioners may pull anywhere from 13.8 amps to 15.8 amps at full load.
Thanks for the concern! I guess my wording sounded like I wanted to swap it for a larger one, I just meant swapping it for a new one.

I ordered the exact same breaker, I know better than to change them. Appreciate all the input!
Old 04-03-2024, 07:04 AM   #13
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I would take the cover off and inspect the coils and squirrel cage fan. Clean them. Oil the fan motor axle bearings at both sides.
Lots of YouTube videos to guide you.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:58 AM   #14
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I would take the cover off and inspect the coils and squirrel cage fan. Clean them. Oil the fan motor axle bearings at both sides.
Lots of YouTube videos to guide you.
I will add that to my list of things to check! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2024, 04:46 PM   #15
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Agree with the comments... first thing is use your new clamp-on ammeter to check the current draw. Also, make sure the A/C is the only wire on that breaker. When we were living on our boat we found some incorrect wiring where a receptacle was connected to the same breaker as the one A/C unit.
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote