Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Montana Factory Rep

I was at the Pamona RV show today and crawled all over the Montana and Big Sky units. They had about every floor plan in the Montana, Mountaineer and Big Sky lines. In the Big Sky however they only had two of the 3 different floor plans.
While there I met and spoke to Kevin Farnham, Montana District Sales Manager. He was great and spent a ton of time with me. He said that Big Sky and Montana's ordered at this time would be delivered last week of November which for us would be no problem as we are not in a super hurry. He also said that the Montana 3650 is going to be discontinued which is a shame as it is one of the plans that we really liked as well.
We discussed several things that have been big topics on this forum.
1. Was the issues many are having with the Mission tires and he said they are aware of that and that they are looking at that issue and may be changing brands.
2. While discussing that I also asked if they couldn't go to a G rated tire as well and he indicated that that is also being looked at.
3. They are also looking at replacing the conventional flat screen picture tube TV's in the bedroom's and some livingrooms at some point with LCD TV's.
3. I inquired about walking on the roof. Was there a weight limit. He said no that they have 5 -7 on the roof at a time while constructing the unit and all of them are big fellows weighing 225 - 250+
We discussed some other things so many I can't remember all of them but I took the opportunity to fire in some suggestions that I feel could be nice to have.
1. Motion detection on the scare lights so if boon docking you can have them come on if someone comes around, with an override switch so you can avoid them coming on in a RV park where people are expected to be moving around.
2. Venting for the bedroom A/C so it can cool the trailer and relieve the load on the front unit at times.
3. Name brand appliances in the kitchen(like Amana, Sharp etc)which would solve some issues that have come up with the Micro/convection ovens in some Montana's. They are aware of that issue and said the larger one in the Big Sky is manufactured by another maker.
4. Offering an electric Dump valve for the galley tank. I don't really care for limbo dancing under the slide to drain that every few days when parked for some time. Coould be activated from the Electrical panel.
5. A shelving option for the Washer Dry Closets as not all of us are going to put a washer/dryer in those spaces.
6. An option to leave the Oven out and replace that with one of several options. A dishwasher, additional cabinet, another small refrigerator, wine cooler, etc.
7. The option of a fireplace in the bedroom.
8. I also mentioned that many would like to see a real reciever hitch on the rear of the Montana. Doing so would allow us to carry a motorcycle or a Onan Juice Box etc. Not that we want to haul another trailer or big boat there. He indicated they are aware of this and are looking at that idea.
9. I asked if they were ever considering a/s in the basement but he said that is a definite no.
10. Optional electric rear stabilizer jacks for the Montana's

I know I mentioned a few other thoughts I had and I will mention them if I remember them.
Kevin was great to talk to and was very open to ideas and very up front about what they were looking into and welcomes any suggestions.

I expect to talk to him again later this week and if you think of anything please let me know I will happily pass it along. If you are going to the show look him up and lets keep mentioning the things we would like to see and I bet we will.

Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
I would like to see their cabinet drawer frame construction improved. I've just completed repair on the sliding drawer under the refrig on my 2007 3000RK. The drawer front glue joint separated and I replaced it with a new front from Keystone. The box frame was put together with small staples, most of which had missed their intended angle of placement. I removed all staples, pre-drilled pilot holes and screwed and glued the frame back together. At the price point of the Montana, I had expected better construction than what I found.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:43 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

...9. I asked if they were ever considering a/s in the basement but he said that is a definite no.
Bob, what's "a/s"?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
He meant A/C, a typo. We were talking about noisy A/C units a few days ago.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ozz.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Why would you want A/C in the basement?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Lower trailer height, possibly quiter, colder air sinks and why not bring it in down where you are at and push the warmer air up and out a vent? Could use slightly open fantastic fan running at low to pull the warm air out while cool coming in. Main reason is RV height. Less clutter up on roof.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Doug,

Coleman makes an "off roof" unit that puts the compressor(s) down by the frame, drawing air through the side of the coach. They are called True Air and are used quite a bit in motor homes now.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../283259603.jpg
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

I believe you keep thinking of an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) where you have to let the hot air escape so the cold air can come in. You don't have to vent with central air or even a window or roof unit. They recirculate the existing air in the coach while removing the heat from the air. It is actually inefficient to vent to the outside with central ac running.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Brad: Place in Greeley used to make a 12 volt roof mount swamp cooler that fit a 14 x 14 vent. Things worked great in the deserts with no ac power. If people don't know what a swamp cooler is I gave up trying to tell them. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Why would you want A/C in the basement?
The cooling unit, just like the one on your roof, mechanically, is there, quieter. They just duct the cool air to the different areas. The condensing unit expels the hot air from the condenser below or to the side of the coach. It looks like the Tru-Air has 2 compressors for better cooling capacity, better de-humidification.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Looks like you will sacrifice storage area, though...

Plus, I am guessing that this True Air would cost about what 7-8 roof A/Cs would cost - and I am not including the duct work in that guess. Also, there looks to be an extra insulating expense involved with that main duct leaving the unit and before the first vent is reached.

Just my observations...
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gj4040

I would like to see their cabinet drawer frame construction improved. I've just completed repair on the sliding drawer under the refrig on my 2007 3000RK. The drawer front glue joint separated and I replaced it with a new front from Keystone. The box frame was put together with small staples, most of which had missed their intended angle of placement. I removed all staples, pre-drilled pilot holes and screwed and glued the frame back together. At the price point of the Montana, I had expected better construction than what I found.
I just did a repeat repair job on our drawer this weekend. I didn't "fix" it very well the first time after it got caught in the slide. The damage the first time also included the slide drawer supports under the fridge. Those were fixed too. This time the sucker is not coming apart.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent report. Excellent ideas. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks for the info. Sure would love to see a receiver hitch added. Ditto on the over things. Sounds like you have a wish list most of us would love to see incorporated in our Tanas.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
ScottandBrenda
Established Member

M.O.C. #7752
As far as the galley tanks goes, they make blade valves with cables on them of course - simply mount the third handle in the bay where the others are. We had a receiver hitch welded on and it works great. And no, we're not worried about "bending" the frame with it. There's no where near that much force with a couple bikes slapped on there.
ScottandBrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #17
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Another option that a bunch of people could use would be a battery splitter switch if you wanted to put two batteries in your unit. This would probably be mounted in the front compartment where you could shut off all 12 volt power with the flip of a switch, or you could run on battery #1 or battery #2 or flip the switch to both in case you wanted to charge both. I added one to Monty and have added one to all of the campers that I have had since the 1980's.....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #18
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
One of the reasons we love our Montana's is because we believe we get a lot for the price we pay. All these ideas are terrific but they may come with an increased price.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #19
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
You need to look at these things as options, NOT manditory on every unit. Available when you order one....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #20
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
I would like to ask him about problems with frame flex.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote