Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
FYI Direct TV

Hi All,

Having just replied to another post about leaving the stick home, reminded me of our Sat. TV. We discovered last year when we called to cancel our Sat. TV service as we wanted to go with our Cable TV Co., we were asked why we were cancelling? We told them we got a better deal bundling with our Cable Co., but we knew we had an issue with our RV'ing. Direct told us they would keep our Acct. in force but place it on inactive until we need it at no cost. Just call or go on line to start or stop at our will. So now that's exactly what we do. When we leave for the Summer (4 Mos.) we simply activate it and inactivate when we return Home (8 Mos.). No start up or shut down cost.

We also asked for the Local TV waiver because we travel for extended periods and it was approved, which gave us the Networks as we travel.

Many of you I'm sure already know this but this hopefully might help some of our MOC friends.

Happy camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That is a valuable post. Thank you for sharing the information.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
We are considering Direct TV service but we don't need it during the winter months. My question is - can you activate and deactivate during the first year of new service or is it only possible after fulfilling the original contract period?
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
rlrich,

I seem to remember asking that very question and the answer I got was, that I needed to stay with them for 12 mos. without canceling the service. Which to them meant if it took 5 years or what ever to get my 12 mos. in it was OK. Deactiveating is not canceling service. They just want to make sure they are going to get 12 Pmts. from you before you should happen to leave them. However long it takes.

That was about 2 years ago when I switched over to DirectTV from Dish Net. So please check with them. Things do change over time.

In case your wondering the reason we made the switch was two fold.
1. The DirecTV Sat. is higher in the sky in the North East where we spend our Summers. Easier to get around those trees.
2. DirecTV is still using a single "eye" for most programing. Easier dialing in.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-14-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Is there an extra charge for each network while on the road? Their web site states that there is a $1.50 (or close to that) charge for each network you want; East cost, or West coast.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:07 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
That may have been my post. But here goes again. We call Direct TV and have out two receivers at the house be turned off while we winter in Florida. I keep the one in the RV turned on as we use it all year long. All I have to do when I return is call them and they turn the two in the house back on. There is no charge on the receivers in the house during the winter months.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Ozz,

That's true. Pick and choose your Network feed. $1.50 per. Plus your basic.

If you need a waiver because your in a normal broad cast area, all you do is call them and tell them that you want it for your RV. They do the work of notifing the regulators for approval. It does take about 2 mos. though, so one needs to plan ahead. Once you have the waiver it stays on file and won't expire.

Happy camping

Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
What I did was called Direct and asked to talk to a supervisior because of my forwarding mailing address. They were able to give me the local network stations without any extra charge. The first person you call is usualy not familiar with this situation. Works for those longer stays moving regularly not sure. The package that gives you the East and West coast Network feeds with the waver was 10.00 extra a month.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote