Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Forced to be there for work, forced to be in an environment that you don't like or not used to, not there to try to appreciate what it offers - it's understandable but, like being on the coast for folks that don't like water; sitting in a metroplex city and hating every minute; ....the list is endless of what "one" may like or not. It doesn't make it the end of the world for the next person that might have a different perspective. JMO

Living out here where there is no restaurants, movie, Walmart is 5 miles, gas is 3 miles some people would hate. Living in a little town let alone a big city and I would be miserable. Just shoot me I would honestly rather be dead. Every body likes something different. I’m so glad most people like living in town they aren’t out here.
Lynwood

mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #22
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We lived in Carlsbad, New Mexico for 1.5 years due to work. The people there are very nice but there is absolutely NOTHING about the state I would have anything to do with again!!! The desert sucks, no water no shade nothing to do but roast!!! So happy that other than visiting our grandkids, we will never have to spend time in that awful state again!!
Ha ha! I'm sorry you don't like it, I don't either. I've been here for 35 years and never did like the heat and the poor ground that won't grow anything. Colorado for us next year, but that's not a lot of improvement.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Ha ha! I'm sorry you don't like it, I don't either. I've been here for 35 years and never did like the heat and the poor ground that won't grow anything. Colorado for us next year, but that's not a lot of improvement.
Egads, 35years. We did visit White Sands while there. That was interesting. Sorta strange to dive off the cool temps of Cloudcroft down into the basin heat.

On the other hand we liked Sliverton, CO at least during the summer. Not sure I would care about some things in the state that I can't mention here (same reason I wouldn't want to live full time in California).

I know some people like it in the desert. I don't know why but they do. But even a LOT of the locals would tell you they would rather live someplace else. Of course you will hear that in other areas of the country as well but it was more common around SE NM.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #24
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post

Red above ^......You should have worked on that soil. We used to have some of the best gardens anyone around had seen (Hobbs) - we loved it (the garden). I did however spend an inordinate amount of time gathering pickup beds full of cow manure and tilling it in...but stuff would sure grow...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #25
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Red above ^......You should have worked on that soil. We used to have some of the best gardens anyone around had seen (Hobbs) - we loved it (the garden). I did however spend an inordinate amount of time gathering pickup beds full of cow manure and tilling it in...but stuff would sure grow...
In RED above. You had to add a lot to that soil to get anything to grow. Face it the soil is poor in the part of the country and more importantly water is scarce. They made us use reject water from the well water processing system at the RV park we were at to water the two or three little plants we had. It was a MAJOR pain in the butt. They really preferred you not to have any plants and were always watching the water consumption extremely close. Without the reverse osmosis filter system I doubt the water would have been drinkable it contained so many contaminates. We wouldn't drink it even after filtering. The lack of water is a big reason I did not care for the desert. We love to fish, kayak and watersports. Obviously not much of that in the desert.....
Old 09-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
In my 27 years in the Navy I was sent a few places that were not my first choice. Our family was able to find something good everywhere we went. With some flexibility and a good attitude you can always make a place a home. In a few places my wife cried coming in town and then a few years latter cried as we left. It really is more about the people you meet than the place.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #27
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
In RED above. You had to add a lot to that soil to get anything to grow. Face it the soil is poor in the part of the country and more importantly water is scarce. They made us use reject water from the well water processing system at the RV park we were at to water the two or three little plants we had. It was a MAJOR pain in the butt. They really preferred you not to have any plants and were always watching the water consumption extremely close. Without the reverse osmosis filter system I doubt the water would have been drinkable it contained so many contaminates. We wouldn't drink it even after filtering. The lack of water is a big reason I did not care for the desert. We love to fish, kayak and watersports. Obviously not much of that in the desert.....

I/we get it that you don't like SE NM, you've made that abundantly clear. I don't particularly like it either but AZ Traveler nailed it about as close as you can get it. If you don't like it that's fine and you've expressed that multiple times. Not really any need to jump in and try to counter anything anyone says positive (or not) about the place.

And BTW, the comment about the cow manure was just a "tickle" for Falcon and his comment about not being able to grow anything in Alamo from a fellow former New Mexican - not asking for a broadside about me having to "face" anything....I lived it.

AZ Traveler also had it right about the wife crying - when she (my DW) came into this town the first time....just burst into tears. Now, 31 years later, I've offered to build a house in a dozen beautiful places and she won't budge.... We've got the RV she says.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #28
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
It’s hot!

We live in a little town called Artesia which is between Carlsbad and Roswell in SE NM and have since 1990. Yes, it’s hot during the dead of summer and can be cold during the extreme winter months. Had 5 ft snow drifts a few years back. Triple digit heat generally don’t last much more than 1 month. We have beautiful mountains 1 hr east of here in Cloudcroft but it still gets pretty warm. I find the dry heat is much more bearable than high humidity in addition to heat.
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #29
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy & Georgia View Post
We live in a little town called Artesia which is between Carlsbad and Roswell in SE NM and have since 1990. Yes, it’s hot during the dead of summer and can be cold during the extreme winter months. Had 5 ft snow drifts a few years back. Triple digit heat generally don’t last much more than 1 month. We have beautiful mountains 1 hr east of here in Cloudcroft but it still gets pretty warm. I find the dry heat is much more bearable than high humidity in addition to heat.

And a little off the mark but, we loved that Burger King. Ate there a zillion times going to/from our mountain home until they remodeled and maybe the owner (which I had visited with) sold? Whatever, it sure seemed to go downhill real fast.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy & Georgia View Post
We were actually staying in the Escapees "The Ranch" RV park which you will know is located between Artesia and Carlsbad.

The folks at the RV park were nice enough but vast majority did not stay there during the summer. I'll have to disagree with how long the summer excess heat lasts though.

Our place in Arkansas is in the Ozark Mountains and sorta resembles Cloudcroft in some ways (except we have lakes and rivers). Not quite the elevation but lots of trees and mountain terrain.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #31
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
And a little off the mark but, we loved that Burger King. Ate there a zillion times going to/from our mountain home until they remodeled and maybe the owner (which I had visited with) sold? Whatever, it sure seemed to go downhill real fast.
The one in Artesia? Yeah we ate there several times. It got really bad during covid. For a while they didn't have hamburger patties as I recall. The Pecos Diamond was our favorite restaurant in Artesia but it closed during the pandemic. There were a couple of good restaurants in Roswell (we really liked the Italian one). If you like Mexican (I don't) no shortage of good ones but really good BBQ or fish was missing. I guess I am spoiled by all the good fish and BBQ around here and on the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #32
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We stayed a night in Gallup while passing through. Glad to make it out alive. It looks like the end of the road for a lot of folks. In all fairness, we didn't see enough of the state to make a fair judgement but we saw enough to kill off any curiosity about the rest of it.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #33
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
In the almost three years we've been full timing we've criss crossed NM about every way one can. Like any other state it has good and bad areas from desolate desert to beautiful snowy mountains.

For anyone that's the least bit curious I would put the VLA on your bucket list. Like the Grand Canyon..... there are no words to adequately describe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array

The one section we were very sorry we went to was down the "Death Highway".

We had no idea what we were getting into. It's for folks working the oil field and if you don't need to be on it. Don't go on it. It was a white knuckle drive the whole way.

https://searchlightnm.org/death-highway/
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #34
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
In the almost three years we've been full timing we've criss crossed NM about every way one can. Like any other state it has good and bad areas from desolate desert to beautiful snowy mountains.

For anyone that's the least bit curious I would put the VLA on your bucket list. Like the Grand Canyon..... there are no words to adequately describe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array

The one section we were very sorry we went to was down the "Death Highway".

We had no idea what we were getting into. It's for folks working the oil field and if you don't need to be on it. Don't go on it. It was a white knuckle drive the whole way.

https://searchlightnm.org/death-highway/

That highway and the others out there used to be scenic and quiet allowing you to just amble along looking, a vehicle seldom seen. Now, it is pure insanity plus being very dangerous. I had a guy tell me not long ago that he sat for 3 hours to get on 285 at Orla. He said the line at the stop sign was so long you could not see one end or the other - miles. Those are old what I call farm to market roads never meant for those kinds of vehicles or that much traffic.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #35
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
Any updates? I am planning to travel to Sedona and Santa Fe next week and didn't expect
to encounter any problems. Is there still a quarantine?
ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #36
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Being able to move around and get out of the heat during the summer makes a BIG difference in your perspective. We were stuck in the desert due to work thru the summer and it was a living hell. We did enjoy our occasional trips to Ruidoso but could not move there as it would have been too far away from the office. I really liked the people of New Mexico just not the desert (particularly in the summer).
I was born and raised in Roswell lived there 21 years before moving to Albuquerque for 10 years.
We are presently in a rented condo in Panama City FL fixin to get run out by a hurricane.
Very few places in the world are perfect to live in.....weather wise!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #37
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad10 View Post
Any updates? I am planning to travel to Sedona and Santa Fe next week and didn't expect
to encounter any problems. Is there still a quarantine?
Yes. Google NM quarantine....

Two weeks if you are coming from a “hot spot” which according to the NM website is just about everywhere but NM!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #38
EJacob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25812
Hi we are leaving for Arizona soon.
If I have this right?. If you travel into New Mexico. You can't leave for 14 days? Let us know when you have time. Thanku
EJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #39
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJacob View Post
If I have this right?. If you travel into New Mexico. You can't leave for 14 days? Let us know when you have time. Thanku
No. Just drive straight through like the Old Mexicans do south of the border.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #40
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJacob View Post
You don't have to be stuck here for 2 weeks, but you do have to quarantine while you are here. It was fairly normal until today, which begins a 2 week stay-at-home order. Everything is shut down except essential businesses until 30 November. Search the web for NM Health Order for details.
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine