Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Motor scooter on back of 5th wheel

hi. we just got a new 3150 and want to put our 223 pound motorscooter on the back of the 5th wheel.....any suggestions or thoughts?

also thought about putting it on the front of our 2500HD diesel.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mazboy,
Check with Robbie Simmons. He carries a scooter on the back of his rig. Simonsrf is his user name.

I carry a large mobility cart on the front of my Ford PSD 450. The carrier weighs about 100 pounds and the cart weighs about 150 #s. You can see a picture of my setup by going to my Picasa albums link.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
There are lots of threads on putting things on the rear of any Keystone product...many concern warranty issues. You might try the search feature. FWIW, I would not put anything on the back of my Montana.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Here's a scooter on a 5th wheel (not Montana):

Note the extra axle behind the OEM Trailer axles, it is Grey and hard to see. Can you believe 3 different size tries on this rig, much less the weight and or lack of weight on the pin.
Be afraid, be very afraid.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- I don't think that is a "scooter"! It looks to me like it is either a Harley or a Gold Wing and those are definately a heavy unit! That trailer hitch looks like it could cause some real problems to the fiver especially if you had to go through any type of sharp dip or into a entrance that had any type of rise to it. The pressure would be outstanding on that hitch unless those arms and wheels on the carrier pivot some!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Here is a website that I found that has Aluminum racks that are mounted in the hitch receiver. They make a 400 lb. and a 600 lb. plus all kinds of carriers for various other things. Tie downs are listed also under a differt category. Price isn't too bad, I don't think. Just depends on what you want to spend I guess....JB

http://www.discountramps.com/carriers.htm
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Looks like a scooter to me, Honda Goldwing trike, scooter for sure. The wheels pivot on the carrier (scooter trailer) don't know about have a swivel in the connecting arms. The whole darned thing looks dangerous.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We actually have 2 small scooter which we carry one on the front of the truck and one on the back of the Montana. They weigh about 130 lbs each. They carry well but are light.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We carry our SYM HD200 scooter (285 pounds) on a rack on the Montana.

We've had two racks. The first one was a Tilt-A-Rack which was rated for 400 pounds. This rack was made of aluminum. It did not hold up to the bouncing on the back of the Montana. It broke, and was replaced by the manufacturer.

We then purchased the VersaHaul rack moldel VH-55 RO. This rack took most of the wobble away and we feel very secure with the way it holds the scooter.

The scooter is off the rack for a few more days, but after we get it loaded, we can post a picture.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

....That trailer hitch looks like it could cause some real problems to the fiver especially if you had to go through any type of sharp dip or into a entrance that had any type of rise to it. The pressure would be outstanding on that hitch unless those arms and wheels on the carrier pivot some!
That is a swivel wheel extension. I pivots up & down at the hitch, and it stays in-line with the axis of the 5er so you can back it up without worrying about jack-knife problems (the wheels pivot, like the front wheels of a shopping cart). The only thing you have to worry about is the increased tail swing radius when turning sharply.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Here's a scooter on a 5th wheel (not Montana):

Note the extra axle behind the OEM Trailer axles, it is Grey and hard to see. Can you believe 3 different size tries on this rig, much less the weight and or lack of weight on the pin.
Be afraid, be very afraid.

That is probably the exact issue that the TAG axle addresses. It shifts the center point of load on the axles rearward, thus increasing the pin weight. The weight on the "bumper" of the 5er would be approximately 1/2 of the weight of the motorcycle and swivel wheel. The tow vehicle capacity would be of concern though.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
At our Rally in Goshen in June had a RVer pulling a Swivel Wheel Trailer dual wheels and backed into the site as if there was nothing behing the 5th wheel it was a 2009 5th wheel 38' 4 slides weight was about 20,000 lb 5er. Seen several last winter in Florida and Gulf Shores pulling the Swivel wheel type trailers. Has 2" type receivers on each side of the 5er. I forget the name of the Swivel wheel carrier, but just Google Swivel wheel trailer and it should come up. They are new have been available for sometime. We will be towing a Chevy HHR behind our 5er, have baseplate, towbar and braking system installed the end of the month. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
maynardga1

M.O.C. #8439
The pic on Jim F's message is of a "swivel wheel trailer" out of Texas. If you go to their website they actually show a Montana with a Harley. The big issue that I have run across in all of this is that this set up with the tag-a-long trailer is considered a "three pull" arrangement by all state DOT's and 22 states currently outlaw three pulls by non commercial folks like us. If you Google "three pull" you can read about this pulling restriction. Swivel Wheel website actually address this issue at the end of their site and aludes to the fact that their trailer "may" not be legal when pulled behind a 5er...
maynardga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Here is a good one. http://www.idahotote.com A little $$$$ but they really work good.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Toward the front of the Trailer Life Directories is a rules of the road chart. It shows which states (28) allow triple towing. Interestingly, it is most of the coastal states that do not allow triple towing.

We have owned and used several trailer configurations in attempting to get my Harley around the country. For the most part they have been more effort that the resulting enjoyment of having the MC on the trip. Our next trailer will be a Toy Hauler - but that's another story.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Here's an alternative.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Robbie-- Your Montana Owners.com licence plate holder us upside down! Or is the bike upside down??!!??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Hey Robbie-- Your Montana Owners.com licence plate holder us upside down! Or is the bike upside down??!!??
Busted! I knew some genius would come around and tell me what I did wrong!

Ron, actually the frame is only drilled on the bottom, and if I mount it the other way, it drags on the ground......I showed it to Doug, told him it was a real attention getter.